Talk

Advanced search

to think MILs are public enemy no 1?

(101 Posts)
cherrycrumblecustard Sun 25-Dec-16 21:44:51

fsmile

Never knew my MIL. But AIBU to be angry she has a name I don't like,mass it's now my DDs middle name and this spoilt Christmas?

What has your MIL done?

Honeyandfizz Sun 25-Dec-16 21:46:30

I noticed a very high amount of anti mil threads today. Some for daring to buy their dgc gifts, something makes me think there are two sides to a lot of these stories and not every mil is a monster!

Cosmicglitterpug Sun 25-Dec-16 21:47:38

Mine's very nice- we're at hers now.

cherrycrumblecustard Sun 25-Dec-16 21:48:51

No, no cosmic, she must have done SOMETHING fwink

mumonashoestring Sun 25-Dec-16 21:49:10

Mine isn't a monster by a very long shot, but she does do and say some extraordinarily irritating things. I think a good bit of the problem is that you marry a man and in doing so you sort of force a close family relationship with someone who you wouldn't necessarily choose to spend any time with otherwise (or possibly even give the time of day to), and of course they get saddled with a close relative they wouldn't necessarily choose themselves...

2cats2many Sun 25-Dec-16 21:49:33

My MIL is lovely. And she has a lovely name.

QueenLizIII Sun 25-Dec-16 21:52:36

you're all going to be mils one day wink

bluebeck Sun 25-Dec-16 21:54:28

I have had two MILS. The first one was bloody lovely. Second one was a total cow.

I am totally blameless in all I do halo

paddypants13 Sun 25-Dec-16 21:54:59

I didn't get the chance to meet mine. She was inconsiderate enough to have a first name I don't like but redeemed herself by having a very beautiful middle name. Dd now has the same middle name to honour her.

HOHOHOvariesBeforeBrovaries Sun 25-Dec-16 21:55:59

I worry about the ones who post all about "Mummy's little prince", "little man" etc on Facebook because you know that in 25/30 years, a large proportion of them are going to be the MILs from hell.

lastqueenofscotland Sun 25-Dec-16 21:56:24

I think I love mine more than I love mr Queen fgrin

Grindelwaldswand Sun 25-Dec-16 21:56:25

Mine is amazing a bit nosy and patronising at times but lovely none the less had some awful ones in the past though downright demented fgrin

stumblymonkey Sun 25-Dec-16 21:57:40

My MIL gave me fab presents, told me that we should do what we wanted for our first married Christmas next year and not feel pressured to do anything else (and meant it) and then texted me the next day to thank me for our presents and how happy I make her son.

Clearly she's just trying to manipulate me. What a bitch. fgrin

SilentlyScreamingAgain Sun 25-Dec-16 21:59:19

Sisters gave MILs a bit of a challenge in the unpopularity race this afternoon but they've dropped back now.

corythatwas Sun 25-Dec-16 21:59:40

Mine died in August and I miss her very, very much sad

cherrycrumblecustard Sun 25-Dec-16 22:00:23

I don't have a sister. I like my SIL, though.

babybarrister Sun 25-Dec-16 22:01:18

I do wonder if grans net is full of bitching about DILs...... 😁

cherrycrumblecustard Sun 25-Dec-16 22:02:35

Probably! fsmile

Puppymouse Sun 25-Dec-16 22:04:39

I couldn't join in these MiL bashing threads until just over a year ago as while mine irritated the pants off me at times she meant well and was so supportive.

Then she appeared to have what could kindly have been referred to as a late mid life crisis, did something stupid, then when she was found out, instead of apologising and trying to sort everything out, her brain seemed to implode and the worst year ever for my husband began. She has horrified me with what she's said and done and sadly I am NC and she hasn't seen DD for quite a few months. It's devastating. Way too Jezza Kyle for real life.

I don't know if she's ill or if the situation has brought out the very deepest darkest awfulness I guess we all have the potential to unleash inside of us if we go off the rails.

Can't post details as it will out me but needless to say she isn't the person I thought she was and she's lost her whole family sad

HecAteAllTheXmasPud Sun 25-Dec-16 22:05:45

My mum in law is the most wonderful woman I've ever met.
My only complaint about her is she lives in kenya not here.

Groovee Sun 25-Dec-16 22:07:01

Mine is amazing. Couldn't be be without her and FIL.

UnbornMortificadoAtChristmas Sun 25-Dec-16 22:07:05

I love my mil. Ex Mil has something seriously wrong with her. Unfortunately she's DD2's dad so I still have too see her.

HecAteAllTheXmasPud Sun 25-Dec-16 22:08:23

Sorry. X posted with a couple of bad ones and now i look like smuggy smuggerson

BoneyBackJefferson Sun 25-Dec-16 22:08:44

I know that its frowned upon on here but

(whispers) some women are not very nice.

Runs away and hides.

madamginger Sun 25-Dec-16 22:09:35

I have a lovely MIL. She's always been good to DH and I, she's amazing with out children and she keeps her opinions to herself wink
This Christmas has been sad and subdued as FIL has terminal cancer and only has a few weeks left and I'm so sad for her, I just wish I could make it go away..sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now