Talk

Advanced search

...to feel depressed that only 7% of UK identify as Feminist?

(24 Posts)
hotmail124 Sun 25-Dec-16 18:30:56

Compassionate good wishes to you all. Let's talk, we have a place to do so. Seems like a lot of old school feminism is scary, peace and compassion, let's talk.

christmasjolity Sun 25-Dec-16 18:37:33

Why repeat an identical thread to one last week?

RoseGoldHippie Sun 25-Dec-16 18:45:23

Is this a follow on?

amispartacus Sun 25-Dec-16 19:00:45

Let's talk, we have a place to do so

We talked. A lot

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2806959--to-feel-depressed-that-only-7-of-UK-identify-as-Feminist

HolidaySpiritsReinbeerAndWhine Sun 25-Dec-16 19:02:52

Urgh. Already been done. Not labelling yourself a feminist doesn't mean you don't want equality yada yada yada.

amispartacus Sun 25-Dec-16 19:07:52

Where's the OP hmm

SnatchedPencil Sun 25-Dec-16 19:11:01

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Oswin Sun 25-Dec-16 19:25:07

Did you really just compare feminism to the KKK?

RufusTheSpartacusReindeer Sun 25-Dec-16 19:47:09

Yes oswin

That just happened...merry christmas grin

SallyInSweden Sun 25-Dec-16 19:55:27

Snatched... give the port back to Granny. That's a love!

Sparklingbrook Sun 25-Dec-16 20:10:29

It's like Groundhog Day.

Plus there's a topic somewhere....

pipsqueak25 Sun 25-Dec-16 20:20:46

why ??

DeviTheGaelet Sun 25-Dec-16 20:22:10

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

DeviTheGaelet Sun 25-Dec-16 20:28:43

Actually at the end of the last thread rufus asked if anyone had any bath thoughts, but we ran out of space for answers.
I don't really have bath thoughts, I prefer to read. Sometimes I ponder why body hair grows faster in summer when it's not needed.

glentherednosedbattleostrich Sun 25-Dec-16 20:28:56

By right thinking I guess you mean thinks the same as me? Which is bollocks.

OP, almost everyday i am reminded why we need feminism. While on paper we many be nearing equality, in reality its no where near.

From trivial things like mil being annoyed because i didn't send cards to random poeple I've never met, to the relentless WOMAN YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG in the media, to the culture we live in which considers sexual assault a cost of being born with a vagina.

hotmail124 Sun 25-Dec-16 20:43:07

OP, almost everyday i am reminded why we need feminism I love that, thanks glentherednosedbattleostrich
So, a mixture of responses. And interesting to get both sides. There is so much aggression, even in a female forum about feminism, in all its colours.
Interesting. I watch and learn.

hotmail124 Sun 25-Dec-16 21:21:54

And I don't understand why there would be such vicious attacks in mn on feminism, when we presumably want our kids and sisters to grow up safe and empowered. (Peace and love, not just for xmas !).
If you like, equal education, equal dress, equal votes, equal pay, equal house care, equal sex care, equal child care how can you not be a feminist?
And if you're not, but you expect other women to put up with less what is that?
All the best.

RoseGoldHippie Sun 25-Dec-16 21:36:42

hotmail I think that's the point, I equality for all and feminism do not always go hand in hand.

HolidaySpiritsReinbeerAndWhine Sun 25-Dec-16 21:52:22

If you like, equal education, equal dress, equal votes, equal pay, equal house care, equal sex care, equal child care how can you not be a feminist?

If you believe in treating others as you would like to be treated, how can you not be a Christian?

If you believe there should be tight controls on immigration, how can you not be a UKIP voter?

And on and on...

Sharing mostly the same beliefs does not mean we must share the same labels.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sun 25-Dec-16 22:13:47

OP, almost everyday i am reminded why we need feminism. While on paper we many be nearing equality, in reality its no where near.

From trivial things like mil being annoyed because i didn't send cards to random poeple I've never met, to the relentless WOMAN YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG in the media, to the culture we live in which considers sexual assault a cost of being born with a vagina

But how many MNetters think that is an accurate description of life? Especially the part about your mother in law.

hotmail124 Sun 25-Dec-16 22:14:33

equality for all and feminism do not always go hand in hand How?
If you believe in treating others as you would like to be treated, how can you not be a Christian Why?

hotmail124 Sun 25-Dec-16 22:16:10

But how many MNetters think that is an accurate description of life? Especially the part about your mother in law
So what do we do?

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sun 25-Dec-16 22:42:46

What do we do about what?

Do you mean feminism's image? If so then perhaps reconsider the idea that everything bad in an individual woman's life can be attributed to an all embracing patriarchal oppression.

As in the example I quoted one woman's difficult relationship with her mil is not Everywoman's problem.

As for relentless WOMAN YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG in the media I don't actually know what this is referring to - adverts showing some sort of perfect but unrealistic life? So what? Make your own minds up.

1horatio Sun 25-Dec-16 23:17:08

I don't call myself a feminist, though I probably technically am.

So, I'm off to that other thread. Sounds interesting...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now