Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask for your irritating family stories at Christmas time?

(101 Posts)
shakeyospeare Sun 25-Dec-16 18:20:25

Bloody MIL has spent this morning making sly digs about my parenting - from accusing me of depriving DD2 by not giving her a bottle (!!) to the way I dress her (i.e., not in girly, flouncy, frilly dresses) to the fact she's vegetarian and now how she doesn't have juice and prefers water...

DP doesn't say anything, but ends up carrying on the digs making me feeling on edge and uncomfortable. They make me feel like an incompetent hippy child with daft ideas.

MIL has never forgiven me for breastfeeding and co-sleeping because she expected to have DD2 overnight as soon as she was born 

Tell me your irritating family stories and keep me sane 

Serowe72 Sun 25-Dec-16 18:26:18

Mine irritating Mil is sat downstairs whilst I'm upstairs watching Dd2 in the bath. She stinks of cigarettes and keeps going to the garage for a ciggy.
She is obnoxious, loud and always right. This is the first Xmas we have had her and our last. She has ruined Christmas Day with her self righteous manner. Worse still she's here till Thursday. Could honestly cry!

Christmassnake Sun 25-Dec-16 18:29:23

Well my mil,gave £50 to 2 dc,and an £800 laptop to 1 dc...all the same family.same parents.has caused a fair bit of tension as you can imagine

Serowe72 Sun 25-Dec-16 18:30:44

Christmasnake. Take a bow. The award for most irritating Mil goes to you!hmm

esiotrot2015 Sun 25-Dec-16 18:31:58

fshock Christmassnake

Christmassnake Sun 25-Dec-16 18:33:10

Thankyou 72... it was the very last present unwrapped..I had tried hard to ensure ,down to the last penny they had the same..im speechless and no idea why or how or wtaf is going on ...

shakeyospeare Sun 25-Dec-16 18:34:38

@christmassnake shock

dontbesillyhenry Sun 25-Dec-16 18:37:21

Mine just rambles and prattles on constantly. She is very kind and loving but can't stop talking. I'm sure Chas and Dave knew her.

Christmassnake Sun 25-Dec-16 18:42:10

They all go on constantly about who is the favourite child with parents and grandparents....I'm constantly reassuring them there is no favourite child...I'm wasting my time with that now...

Champagneformyrealfriends Sun 25-Dec-16 18:44:34

Mine's take-DF made a comment about DV starting his meal before everyone had sat down (DM told him to). It's DD's first Christmas so I had to beg my brother to keep the peace. Very boring really. Christmassnake confused how awful-hope your DC aren't too upset.

ILoveAGoodBrusselSprout Sun 25-Dec-16 18:44:36

Mine said, as she was leaving, "I'll probably be dead next year so you won't have to go to any trouble for me then."

I don't 'go to any trouble' for her. We have the same Christmas whether she was with us or not. She always says things like this- not in a nice caring way but in a way that makes me seem a show off or a fake iykwim.

She said once,"This is why no one likes coming to dinner at your house. You try to be too fancy!" (I served a salad starter). I said, "Oh I didn't realise that no one likes having dinner here!" She didn't respond.

DH is fab- he doesn't stand for any of her nonsense but she often says stuff (so much more than this) out with his earshot. Either that or he's so fed up listening to her witter on that he isn't listening

RNBrie Sun 25-Dec-16 18:45:06

My brother has given my dc (4 and 2) kit model aeroplanes. Which he had already made. And won't let them play with it case they get broken.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sun 25-Dec-16 18:46:06

My MiL once got stoned and decided to go to bed.

Just as we sat down to eat without her she called down and demanded to be made a ham sandwich.

That may have been the day I stopped bothering.

phoenix1973 Sun 25-Dec-16 18:46:39

Fil goes back home to walk dog for 2 hours .....".used to interrupt our meal but now just carry on without him. 😂
He only lives 10 min drive away but insists on changing clothes, taking dog for full walk rather than just a shit on the green (that's cruel, apparently), then changing clothes again......😴😴😴🙄🙄😂

ethelb Sun 25-Dec-16 19:03:12

Yesterday evening was fucking awful with BIL and FIL being the sneering nasty misogynistic controlling pricks they usually are, and DH expecting me to ignore it.

However, today swung slightly in our favour as MIL and FIL managed to find so much wrong with the presents BIL bought them that they argued and fussed about them for the full two hours it took to make Christmas dinner so there were no tantrums about that from them which I was expecting.

Serowe72 Sun 25-Dec-16 19:04:41

How are you going to deal with it Christmas? Have you told her it's not on?

oldlaundbooth Sun 25-Dec-16 19:05:52

, "I'll probably be dead next year so you won't have to go to any trouble for me then."

Crikey grinshock

pipsqueak25 Sun 25-Dec-16 19:08:24

so glad i'm an only child, great in laws, nice sils, great dsc [grown up] and a normal dm. and we don't celebrate christmas as we are pagans.
everyone else you have my sympathies....

thequeenoftarts Sun 25-Dec-16 19:09:09

Makes me glad I divorced the ExH and now spend Christmas alone haha, sorry folks!!

pollyglot Sun 25-Dec-16 19:10:05

The one time we went to my parents for Christmas dinner (at her insistence -we normally hosted them), my mother seemed to have assumed that we would be bringing everything! By "everything" I mean the meat, veg, pudding, alcohol, decorations ...everything! She had cooked some potatoes. I had told her we would bring the "nice-to-haves" - chocolates, nuts, Christmas cake, and assumed that since we were the guests for once, she would provide everything else! We sat at the table with a bowl of potatoes, lots of sweet stuff, and a sulking DM, who suddenly sprang to her feet, shouting "This is the most un-Christmassy Christmas I've ever had!" When we were kids, we always went to her parents, and granny prepared a sumptuous feast - I realised DM had never cooked Christmas dinner in her life!

pipsqueak25 Sun 25-Dec-16 19:10:17

"i'll probably be dead next year..." mmm, yes possible but then when you are being such a cow is anyone going to be that bothered ??

pipsqueak25 Sun 25-Dec-16 19:11:36

polly that sounds like a mr bean sketch grin

HolidaySpiritsReinbeerAndWhine Sun 25-Dec-16 19:13:16

My FiL is currently watching Die Hard at ear-drum popping volume. The only thing louder than the film, is him explaining every bit of the plot/shouting at John McClain. I would sit upstairs, except grumpy toddler has fallen asleep on my, I dare not move (I also usually enjoy Die Hard, just not at migraine-inducing levels). To be fair, it could be worse. MIL could be here...

CuntyMcCuntyface Sun 25-Dec-16 19:19:07

Every Christmas my cunting brother and his wife would buy shit broken presents for my DC from car boot sales. Broke my heart watching DS play with a lovely toy motorbike that we then had to take off him and bin due to broken plastic bits that could have done some serious harm. We are now NC thank God but even during the 'BIG' row that led to it, he brought up how ungrateful my kids were when given presents by him

N0tfinished Sun 25-Dec-16 19:19:30

Mine tells the same old stories over and over. I'm listening to them for 12 years. All ancient wrongs and vitriol. I have a whole series of 'mmm-hmm' and 'imagine that' type comments that I deploy randomly. If i actually listened to her I'd go insane

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now