Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to go on a horse and carriage ride?

(23 Posts)
pandaporter Sun 25-Dec-16 02:36:10

Paid for it, but went down there to have a look and the horses just look so sad and cold sad is it cruel? I don't really know, so would like some opinions.

WiddlinDiddlin Sun 25-Dec-16 03:02:36

Where is this?

Are the horses shiny, healthy, not thin or dirty?

What makes you think they look cold? Working horses can stay pretty warm, though they should have rugs when standing around.

Got a photo of said horses?

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 25-Dec-16 03:26:29

Opinions differ. Where I am there are campaigns to stop it.

Naoko Sun 25-Dec-16 03:31:13

It's not cruel to ride in a carriage drawn by a horse as such, horses are strong animals and under the right circumstances well able to draw a carriage. It is, however, cruel to go on a carriage ride if the horse isn't well cared for and well treated, which is often the case in touristy cities where you get lots of these all lined up waiting to take tourists about the place.

pandaporter Sun 25-Dec-16 03:34:19

Some look well, but it is a touristy place, lots lined up. I saw a really sweet one who looked so small and exhausted and it's little head was drooping so low and just trying to keep going sad I just felt sorry for it.

WiddlinDiddlin Sun 25-Dec-16 03:37:50

Where are you Panda? (seriously, it makes a lot more sense of the type of horse care if I know where inthe world you are).

In some places like the Pyramids in egypt, the horses are often underweight, knackered, hurting... BUT they are also the owners only source of income and if they don't work, no one gets fed... and that includes the horse.

In a place like THAT I would hire the horse and carriage for the hour... but then spend that hour just fussing the horse, not actually going anywhere! Id also see if you can get the horse a drink or food or something, though thats not always going to be possible.

pandaporter Sun 25-Dec-16 03:47:36

Currently in America. DD is receiving treatment here but wanted to do something nice on Christmas, she's only a baby.

I'm just not sure I liked the look of it all. That little horse has really stuck in my mind sad some looked nice but I don't know...

CheshireDing Sun 25-Dec-16 04:49:13

In NYC I wouldn't hire one, there was a campaign to stop them.

Motherfuckers Sun 25-Dec-16 04:56:27

No way. They are meant to have been banned by now, it really is disgusting. Central Park is magical enough in the winter without animal cruelty.

TheCatsMother99 Sun 25-Dec-16 06:54:44

If it's NYC I wouldn't ride them personally after seeing how some are treated.

bluetongue Sun 25-Dec-16 07:57:50

Sounds sad and going on the ride will just make you feel bad. Sorry sad

user1477282676 Sun 25-Dec-16 12:44:48

Panda! How is DD? I posted a thread looking for you then realised this was you...is everything ok?

getdownshep Sun 25-Dec-16 13:11:04

We went to a resort in Majorca, lovely hotel etc but the horse and carriage rides in the boiling heat really upset me. The poor horses weren't given enough water and shade. My dh wants to go back but I won't, I hate to see animals suffering.

newyorker74 Sun 25-Dec-16 13:15:38

If you are in NYC, then no. The owners aren't purposely cruel but the horses spend much of their lives in the city traffic which is not ideal and have limited access to grass, relaxation time etc. Plus there is a bit of a black hole as to what happens once they are too old to work..

Wolpertinger Sun 25-Dec-16 13:16:56

Depends where you are. In Krakow I saw the fattest horse I'd ever seen, clearly very well cared for as well. Lots of effort being put into rugs, feeding the horses at stops, etc etc.

In NYC, no way.

In lots of other touristy places, also no way - shifts way too long, left in boiling heat, horses underweight, tack not fitting, the list goes on and on.

Twogoats Sun 25-Dec-16 13:37:31

No way, and tell the business exactly why! angry

user1477282676 Sun 25-Dec-16 13:38:06

I thought you'd decided to come home though? How come they've sent you to America?

pandaporter Sun 25-Dec-16 14:12:47

user - I'll update my other thread. They have decided she's better off on a trial.

user1477282676 Sun 25-Dec-16 14:29:37

Ok...I hope it's all going well Panda. You and DD have been in my thoughts. And others too Im sure.x

OneEpisode Sun 25-Dec-16 14:35:07

I just read that Liam Neeson has been campaigning for keeping the NYC carriage horses so the ban is probably off. Hope dd has a good day whatever you decide to do.

Motherfuckers Mon 26-Dec-16 00:01:54

2 years ago... I do wonder what the delay is though..

Cherrysoup Mon 26-Dec-16 00:10:21

Was in New Orleans one year, there was a very lame horse. Made my blood boil. Another time, there were canyon rides offered, DH wanted me to go (I own my own at home) but I took one look at the lack of shade, horses tied up all day, no water and walked away. I would-sadly-almost expect this state of affairs in a less developed country, having seen the TV campaigns, but to see it in America really shocked me.

BonnieF Mon 26-Dec-16 00:12:34

I'm a horse owner. I have never ridden in one of these city-centre tourist carriages, and I would not do so.

The horses have a very tough life, and walking on Tarmac / cobbles all day is very hard on their legs & feet. Most of the horses I have seen pulling these carriages appear to be in poor condition. Several have been obviously lame.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now