Talk

Advanced search

Before or AFTER lunch for present opening?

(119 Posts)
38cody Sun 25-Dec-16 00:30:39

MIL here now, staying over ready for lunch tomorrow.
Younger DC were excited and I talked them through the plan for tomorrow including santa's stocking gifts when they wake up then play, bath, breakfast etc. Lunch then under the tree presents after lunch.
MIL said she's always opened all gifts first thing.
I like to spread it out so there's more to look forward to after lunch.
Of course we're doing it my way. Wondering what the popular consensus is?

lastqueenofscotland Sun 25-Dec-16 00:31:36

Before lunch but we have "lunch" at about 5. Presents in the middle of the day I guess.

buckeejit Sun 25-Dec-16 00:32:41

Everything in the morning here

noelheadBandAid Sun 25-Dec-16 00:32:43

We do it your MIL's way

Ellisandra Sun 25-Dec-16 00:34:54

When I was a child, some had to be opened as late as Boxing Day shock

And not because there were so many - that might be a box of Quality St from an aunt, between all 7 of us.

Until my daughter was 5, we spaced them through the day as she had loads - and I like to see things played with before moving on.

Since then, all in morning as I'm divorced and handover at 12:00!

But I still like to space them. Not in a strict "no you must wait" way, just as in not passing her another or deliberately adding little juice / snack type breaks - or encouraging play or reading so she naturally slows down.

Pinkheart5915 Sun 25-Dec-16 00:35:21

Always before

mommy2ash Sun 25-Dec-16 00:35:43

Presents first thing in the morning

PlymouthMaid1 Sun 25-Dec-16 00:36:23

After lunch so about four thirty. More relaxing and nobody needs to vanish to the kitchen every ten minutes. Also we wouldn't all be assembled in the same house until lunchtime.

Finola1step Sun 25-Dec-16 00:36:37

Growing up, we had to wait until breakfast was finished then we could open all pf our presents. But we had to take it in turns so that we could all see the reactions confused. But all presents would be opened by 10ish.

DH's family always did small, stocking presents first things. Then main presents after lunch and the Queen's Speech.

So we have compromised. Stockings, then breakfast. Then one or two presents from under the tree. Then more presents after lunch.

CointreauVersial Sun 25-Dec-16 00:36:50

Usually after lunch.

But this year we're opening "family" presents before lunch - we are off to DB's for a couple of days and I can't be bothered to lug everything there and back.

VimFuego101 Sun 25-Dec-16 00:37:59

Stocking as soon as they wake up (no need to wait for everyone to wake up), then breakfast/ clean teeth before tree presents. Then they can play with everything while I cook.

wigglybeezer Sun 25-Dec-16 00:38:39

We always did stocking first then presents after church but before lunch.

Grilledaubergines Sun 25-Dec-16 00:38:41

Santa sacks on waking up.

All other presents from family and friends which are under the tree are for after lunch. Paces the day nicely and gives a chance for the santa gifts to be appreciated before opening the rest. It's the way we've always done it and the way it was done for me as a child. Works well for us.

BackforGood Sun 25-Dec-16 00:39:16

There is no 'right' way - it's up to you and your dh to make your own traditions and compromise on those that you grew up doing differently.

We've always opened them all in the morning - or at least all the ones from Father Christmas, and the ones from people who are there..... some might get left (box of biscuits from great Aunty type ones)

SunshineOutdoors Sun 25-Dec-16 00:39:33

All opened from us (and fc) first thing, at whatever pace they want to. But then dbil turns up and after that dpil with their presents so it naturally spaces it out. I hated having to look at presents and have to wait to open them as a kid. Once they're all open we encourage them to play with and appreciate them all in turn.

Maudlinmaud Sun 25-Dec-16 00:39:49

We open ours in the morning. Everyone takes a turn and we watch and ooh and ahh at all the nice things. When I was a child, we didn't open gifts until after the Queens speech. Hated it.

SunshineOutdoors Sun 25-Dec-16 00:41:52

But yeah, do it however you want and however it works for you. You're the parents, it's up to you if you're hosting, not your inlaws

Tabymoomoo Sun 25-Dec-16 00:43:42

We were always made to wait till after the Queen's speech for our presents! DH's family do all their presents after breakfast.
We've compromised with stockings first thing then a present after breakfast and the rest after lunch - I like spreading it out over the day.

meatloaf Sun 25-Dec-16 00:44:40

BEFORE lunch, not after

AmeliaJack Sun 25-Dec-16 00:44:44

We open ours in the morning in our PJs. Then breakfast.

When was little I had to wait until after breakfast. Torture.

SunshineOutdoors Sun 25-Dec-16 00:45:23

We see extended family a few days after Christmas on a couple of different occasions (big family event in place of Christmas on 2nd Jan this year) and presents are exchanged in person then. So we have a big spacing of presents anyway.

vvviola Sun 25-Dec-16 00:46:59

First thing in the morning for immediate family and Santa presents. but I need to have been supplied with a cup of tea first

Takes a while because the youngest hands them out, so it's not a complete free for all.

Then breakfast, then travel to family, where the rest of the presents are handed out, along with a big bowl of turkey soup.

"Lunch" doesn't happen until about 5.

BagelGoesWalking Sun 25-Dec-16 00:49:55

Since time immemorial (when I was a child), we have had stocking presents in the morning, small things, then main presents after lunch.

I always thought there was joy and excitement in waiting until later to get the bigger presents. Everyone could be relaxed and loll on the sofa while children handed presents around. No pressure about lunch/cooking as it was over, nobody (my mother or me later on) had to keep popping out of the room to check on food etc. Like grilled said, it paces the day nicely.

You should do it the way you want, MIL must surely understand if it's done differently to the way she's used to.

alleypalley Sun 25-Dec-16 00:50:33

After lunch here too op. Stockings on waking, then a few (carefully selected by me to keep them entertained) later in the morning, but most after lunch.

Slarti Sun 25-Dec-16 00:54:34

Everything, in any order, upon sight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now