Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

....to be going crazy already with DM staying

(13 Posts)
Deadsouls Sat 24-Dec-16 23:23:04

DM and Step-Dad are staying for Christmas.

Unfortunately when DM has been drinking she becomes belligerent and quite impossible to talk to. We have already gotten into conflict a few times this evening, mostly about when to put presents out (I know...)

I should've learnt by now not to react or even engage when DM is pissed. It doesn't end well.
But I did react and got into an argument. I can't even describe it properly but it's upsetting for me to have to deal with DM when she's like this. And then faving stupid bloody arguments about presents
I want to scream!
Sometimes I think DM and me just don't like each other very much which is sad. We have a difficult relationship.

Not sure what looking for. Just having a rant this Xmas eve.

Merry Christmas all confused

PickAChew Sat 24-Dec-16 23:26:14

She sounds bloody tedious.

"It's my house. If you don't like it, fuck off to bed" (or more polite versions, thereof) is a good one to practice.

CockacidalManiac Sat 24-Dec-16 23:36:03

Stop inviting them.

Deadsouls Sat 24-Dec-16 23:37:16

I think it's all normal for my DM
And me to be arguing by this point. I think we just don't get on and that gets amplified when she's been drinking. But I wonder whether that's quite common? To not get on with one's DM in adulthood.

Deadsouls Sat 24-Dec-16 23:37:31

Plus being Christmas and all that...

CockacidalManiac Sat 24-Dec-16 23:39:39

Christmas doesn't mean that you have to make yourself miserable. Just don't do it next year.

Deadsouls Sat 24-Dec-16 23:39:46

cock
That's an idea. Somehow I'd never thought of that. They come from abroad though to come for Christmas and to see grandkids.
There's not necessarily a solution. As written before I obviously don't react well, we don't get on and maybe it's the way it is.

Deadsouls Sat 24-Dec-16 23:40:32

But I may think of a creative solution for next year.

CockacidalManiac Sat 24-Dec-16 23:42:34

There's lots of threads about similar this year. Women inviting horrible relatives, often pissheads, to stay over Xmas out of obligation or guilt; then having a horrible time of it.
Next year, be kind to yourself. You can take control of the situation.

SantasJockstrap Sat 24-Dec-16 23:46:34

I had my mother to stay for two nights before my wedding and it was horrendously stressful and I would never do it again, EVER. What was meant to be lovely mother daughter time really was highlighted into a series of passive aggressive put downs spaced out over two days

DierdrePewtey Sat 24-Dec-16 23:54:41

"My gaff, my rules"

Deadsouls Sat 24-Dec-16 23:56:23

Santas
That's it...it becomes like this passive aggressive showdown!

llangennith Sun 25-Dec-16 00:02:23

Oh I do feel for you. My DIL is lovely unless she's had a drink. Seems incapable of moderation and when she's drunk she's belligerent and confrontational. This happens quickly. Fortunately my DS recognises the signs but it does spoil things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now