Talk

Advanced search

AIBU - MIL related - would this annoy you?

(15 Posts)
SoberSusan Sat 24-Dec-16 21:39:33

Flew to visit MIL today. At the time we were arriving she wanted to go to church so we had to kill 2 hours before we could go to her house.

Arrived and given cup of tea. A couple of hours later she asked my DH to drive her back to church. They left at 6pm and have been gone for over 3.5 hours and still not back. MIL didn't leave me any food or drink, or instruct me to help myself (she went mad the only time I used her kitchen so I never go in there).

AIBU to be royally pissed off? If I'd known they were going to be away for so long I would have gone to bed, not sat waiting for them to come home. I expected they'd be 2 hours max. MIL also expects us to go to church tomorrow morning for 9:30am.

Now DH is angry with me for being angry. Ahhhhh!

LindyHemming Sat 24-Dec-16 21:41:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Crispbutty Sat 24-Dec-16 21:44:46

I would be out of the door and heading back to the airport or nearest hotel. Sod that.

LotsOfShoes Sat 24-Dec-16 21:46:41

So you're in a house. Next to a fridge. By yourself. Just get some food and something to drink. Or go to a hotel.

witsender Sat 24-Dec-16 21:49:14

I would have helped myself.

DonutParade Sat 24-Dec-16 21:49:50

She is extremely rude. Make some toast!

FilledSoda Sat 24-Dec-16 21:50:16

Where are you staying?
Go back there. They are being very unfair

LindyHemming Sat 24-Dec-16 21:52:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

coconutpie Sat 24-Dec-16 22:06:02

Go into the kitchen!!!!!!!!!!! Who cares if she goes mad? Fuck that shit. And tell her you won't be going to mass either tomorrow.

QuackDuckQuack Sat 24-Dec-16 22:09:40

You appear to have an internet connection - can you order a takeaway?

ollieplimsoles Sat 24-Dec-16 22:10:14

Its rude of her to keep you waiting then disappear for hours.

Lemon12345 Sat 24-Dec-16 22:18:41

Has DH eaten or drunk anything either?

I can totally understand not wanting to help yourself to the kitchen and even more so of not wanting to upset the situation again if she had a tantrum last time.

Leaving you alone on Christmas eve without any offering of food/drink is very rude and poor hosting. Was there any offer to go to church with them?
I would of been in the kitchen and at least had a glass of water (then washed and put the glass back exactly as found... I'm a wuss).

DH needs to get a clue though, it's not acceptable and he should be thinking of you. It's not your parents, it's not your home, you are right for being uncomfortable and angry/upset and hungry too boot doesn't help.

Recentlylazy Sat 24-Dec-16 22:30:15

YNBU. Even given different cultures have different norms two trips out, in your first day there is U. However been in some situations which had parallels with this. It is for your DH to sort and make sure you are ok as well as his mother. Talk to him privately, tell him how it made you feel then say he has to balance your needs with his mothers not chuck you under a train. Tell him if not you will immediately go elsewhere for the next few days. Men, even if they are very effective work wise, mostly want a quiet life at home. If you don't make your point strongly you will not have a great Christmas. I hope you have a fabby one

elQuintoConyo Sat 24-Dec-16 23:09:05

Take a bite out of each piece of fruit. And each slice of bread. And make 5 cups of tea - but only drink half of each.

Then help yourself liberally to all her cakes and biscuits grin

38cody Sat 24-Dec-16 23:41:31

How do you know DH is 'angry with you for being angry' if he's not back yet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now