Talk

Advanced search

To give zero fucks this Christmas?

(21 Posts)
HardLightHologram Sat 24-Dec-16 18:26:12

It's brilliant. We only have my sister coming so we haven't had to do the huge Christmas scrub of the house. There will be no judgement or carry comments about the skirting boards.

We're having kebabs so my food prep has involved marinating a leg of lamb. The rest can all just be assembled tomorrow.

I got ahead of myself and wrapped everything WEEKS ago, so all we need to do tonight is help Father Christmas with the stockings.

We've avoided all invitations for the last couple of days and instead had an open door for anyone who wanted to pop in and swap presents/have a mince pie.

We only did cards for a select few and have wished the rest Merry Christmas when we've seen them.

Honestly I think I am Winning Fucking Christmas this year. Tomorrow should be relaxed, to our own schedule, and with no drama. I can't wait!

AIBU?

jeaux90 Sat 24-Dec-16 18:28:00

Nope!! I am being invaded by 10 people for two days and I am very very jealous of you grin have a good one xx

Passmethecrisps Sat 24-Dec-16 18:29:03

Now this is what Christmas is all about to me. Having a nice, relaxed time with people you actually want to me with.

Enjoy and merry Christmas

OhStuffingBalls Sat 24-Dec-16 18:30:57

Its lovely, isn't it? Only my mum coming tomorrow.

I avoided all invitations bar my works party and a dinner with girlfriends that were done and dusted last week.

I'm currently drinking wine and watching Carols from Kings, kids watching a film next door, DH making dinner.

Soooo peaceful. Love it!

HardLightHologram Sat 24-Dec-16 18:41:04

It's been a revelation. I'm normally run completely ragged by now. I figured this year the most important people are the kids and us and all the stress and work I usually put in is unnecessary.

Pettywoman Sat 24-Dec-16 18:43:52

Just us this year. No visitors, no travelling, perfect.

AuntieStella Sat 24-Dec-16 18:46:22

I'm fairly relaxed.

I have stockings yet to do, but feel that everything else is under control.

About to open the Quality Street

MrsMozart Sat 24-Dec-16 19:33:06

We are chillin'.

We chill every Christmas. The MiL comes for a few days. She's no trouble and was grand wehn the daughters were younger. Can't really imagine Christmas without her now.

After travelling every Christmas when we were children I now refuse to travel anywhere. At all. Other than going for younger sister on the odd time she's wanted to join us, but that's only fifteen easy miles and she slots right in.

Presents are what they are and if we've missed anything then we'll get it later. I do most of the present choosing and buying.

Food is sorted by OH/ I do the making sure people have enough and I do the clearing up on Christmas Day.

I refuse to stress. I have no room for any extra stress in my / our lives.

haveacupoftea Sat 24-Dec-16 22:23:59

Yep. Normally I go mad cleaning the house etc. Have spent basically the last week in my pyjamas. Not two fucks are being given this year grin

YouTheCat Sat 24-Dec-16 23:06:37

Me, dp and my dd are all sitting in our Christmas pjs, having drunk some mulled wine and watched Blazing Saddles.

Got all the presents down and just having a chill before bed. grin

VeryBitchyRestingFace Sat 24-Dec-16 23:08:05

I haven't even put up a tree. fblush

dalmatianmad Sat 24-Dec-16 23:12:36

I have very little family and most years it's just me and the dc so it's always really chilled, dp (emergency services) is on nights again this year so he will get in from work as we get up, we'll do presents and he'll go to bed, I'll walk the dogs and then we'll chill all day with nice food/wine and films.....
Poor dp will get up and go back to work and that's it! Day over fhmm

Crispsheets Sat 24-Dec-16 23:14:23

Well done OP.
There are too many martyrs around...MN will be full of threads tomorrow from women who are knackered/stressed/miserable.

elQuintoConyo Sat 24-Dec-16 23:18:37

Piss easy lunch here tomorrow grin some dog walking with in-laws and a stress-free lunch.

I have just wrangled the presents into stockings and DS' present sack and am in bed with a g&t and jelly babies fgrin

I have also had a very quiet month. Yay for us!

NoBetterName Sat 24-Dec-16 23:27:20

We've had a low-key Christmas since ds2's first Christmas. He had some health problems, we didn't really feel like being jolly or sociable, so cancelled all visits etc and stayed home, just the four of us. We've done it ever since.

The presents are under the tree and in the morning we'll walk the dogs, have a nice breakfast and open the presents. We'll put a chicken in the slow cooker for the ds's and dh (I'm pescetarian) and then we'll go out somewhere for the afternoon, probably a longer walk in the countryside and take a picnic. We get to take advantage of everywhere being so quiet and then we'll come home, have dinner and maybe watch a bit of telly.

On boxing day we'll go and see my dm and between 27th-30th I will be doing some volunteer work (which I do all year round in addition to my job, but I have a bit extra time over Christmas because I take time off from work).

Love it. No stress. I don't understand all the fuss and the kids still love Christmas.

mamalovesmojitos Sat 24-Dec-16 23:30:46

You're my hero flowers. YANBU at all.

Twatternatter Sat 24-Dec-16 23:33:45

I too am winning at Christmas! I got a bit done daily so no big panic clean. I ordered a full Christmas dinner fully prepared! Just have to defrost and/or chuck in oven! Fuck spending hours today shopping and prepping it all! I've watched a lovey film played with my girls and drunk a coupla vino's! Lovely!

UnexplainedOnHerCollar Sat 24-Dec-16 23:54:34

Great thread OP smile I really hope more people (and by that I mean women) will catch on to the idea of creating a Christmas that doesn't put a load of extra pressure on them, and giving zero fucks about being expected to scrub skirting boards and present a perfect meal for 12. If we all stopped being scared of relatives who make demands and disapprove if it's not to their ideal taste, and stopping bending over backwards for lazy DHs and DPs who leave all the present buying and prep to women. It only takes one Christmas to realise you don't actually have to and the spell is broken.

Klaptout Sun 25-Dec-16 00:08:44

Zero fucks here too.

Saracen Sun 25-Dec-16 00:16:58

Hooray! Congratulations OP. Have a great time.

Maz2444466 Sun 25-Dec-16 00:25:21

Great thread OP. This year me, DH and DC just decided to get away from it all during the pre-Christmas period and went to Austria. Absolutely the best decision ever. Just got back tonight on a literally three-quarters empty plane, which is great with young DC! I honestly think I'll fly back from somewhere every year on Christmas Eve as I've never had such a relaxed flight experience. Done all the wrapping of presents the week before we left for holiday so now we can just enjoy a quiet Christmas tomorrow my family and in-laws on Boxing Day but knowing we've had 'our time'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now