Talk

Advanced search

To think that addressing food addiction has opened a massive can of worms

(5 Posts)
CorraLinn Sat 24-Dec-16 17:06:18

And I just want to put the lid back on over Xmas...

I have become more and more aware that I have an addiction to food. Have been comfort eating on and off since childhood but it escalated during my last pregnancy and I've been bingeing ever since (DS now 8 months). I've wanted to address this for some time. As I have nearly a month off work over Xmas I thought this would be a good time. Easier to plan and get through cravings when not also juggling work. DH is off too so more time to myself.

Just over a week ago I went cold turkey on sugar, dairy, wheat and caffeine and stopped bingeing. DS also has suspected food intolerances and the plan was to see if this helped him as well (he is bf).

I had a migraine for several days but then felt better. However I am now having what I can only describe as a deluge of emotions. It's becoming clear to me I've been using food as a way of blocking feelings about my DH, DM etc. I am really tearful and also angry at them both amongst other emotions. Unfortunately we are staying with DM for the holidays. I'm currently hiding upstairs as I can't face anyone.

I think my timing has been really bad. I expected this to be hard mentally and physically but not that I had been suppressing so much that was then going to come out.

How am I going to get through Xmas?
In the longer term how have others dealt with the aftermath of stopping covering up feelings?
Do you think counselling to deal with things works?

GravyAndShite Sat 24-Dec-16 17:10:05

Oh man. flowers what a hard time you are having. I hope someone has some helpful advice for you soon. Well done for starting to address all this.

Satisfactorylemon Sat 24-Dec-16 17:16:24

I reckon that there is and counselling is a good idea.
Going for a walk alone and a diary helps me.
I've also stopped trying to fight bad feelings. Just let them wash by. No resistance, no energy analysing them.. just let them pass me by getting on with other stuff.
If you can get extra sleep, even if it meant going to bed early do it.
Positive quotes/blogs..

Christmasmice Sat 24-Dec-16 18:33:19

Christmas is a really really hard time to be doing this. It's already fraught for lots, there's a lot of cultural pressure to overeat and we'll, it's dark and miserable out there.

Please be kind to yourself. You can start tackling this on the 27th December or the 1st January or the 15th. There is lots of time. I don't mean all out binge but just give yourself a break.

Boundaries Sat 24-Dec-16 18:39:19

Do something when you feel those emotions - preferably a bit exercise based and ideally outside. It will help regulate your mood, even if it's only for 15 mins or so. Baby in sling, go for a quick walk.

Sounds simple, but it really works. Backed up by science and everything grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now