Advanced search

To wonder what everyone does with all their photos?

(16 Posts)
soloula Sat 24-Dec-16 16:42:42

Bought a new iPhone in May and have been getting messages this week about how I'm reaching my storage limits (miss my Samsung with its expandable storage - lesson learned!). Have deleted loads of apps on my phone but it hasn't made much difference as its my photos that are taking up all the space. I'm in the process of backing up to my laptop, external hard drive and the cloud (google and Amazon) so I can wipe my phone memory to start again. I'm a bit overwhelmed by how many photos I have - mainly of dcs and the cat. I can't bear to delete too many of them but would like to be able to pick out a few favourites to view without scrolling through thousands each time.

Apart from actually printing off Photobooks (been on my to do list since DD1 was born 3 years ago to do a book for each year so unlikely to happen anytime soon!) what does everyone else do so you can actually enjoy your photos?

knaffedoff Sat 24-Dec-16 16:50:03

I have purchased more storage but see that as a temporary solution wished I had brought an android phone now sad

CrazyDuchess Sat 24-Dec-16 16:52:07

Thanks for this - was tempted to get a new iPhone for The new year but think i'Lloyd stick to my faithful Samsung.

I always print a few pictures off using freeprints app.

Also if you have a Gmail account can you use Google drive to store your photos to the cloud and delete space off the phone?

DailyFail1 Sat 24-Dec-16 16:53:42

For 79p/year you can buy an extra 50gb of icloud I think. Not sure.

wonderwoo Sat 24-Dec-16 16:57:24

I store them on laptop, backed up by an external hard drive. They are stored in folders, one for each month.

I then go through each month's folder and pick out a handful of favourites, which go into a main folder for the year. This is eventually printed out and put into photo albums. Having this extra folder is also handy when you need to pick out a good photo to give to a grandparent or just to have a quick browse, because you have all your best ones together, whilst not deleting all the rest. I love my photos, and do spend a bit of time keeping on top of it

soloula Sat 24-Dec-16 16:57:49

I've got Amazon prime which has unlimited photo storage and also have a years free upgraded storage on google so using too that but there are just so many photos I don't know what to do with them once they're all backed up so I can actually enjoy them confused

Sparlklesilverglitter Sat 24-Dec-16 16:58:56

I print out my favourite ones and out in a album or frame. I use the free prints app as I find it good value

The rest are stored on a hard drive

YetAnotherUser Sat 24-Dec-16 17:05:16

Google photos lets you back them all up, but not quite in the original quality.

I, however, don't trust them and I have my own server with a regular backup to store them all on 😂

knaffedoff Sat 24-Dec-16 17:33:32

dailyfail I pay 79 p per month -not year-

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 24-Dec-16 17:37:04

Google photos lets you back them all up, but not quite in the original quality

You can back them up on original quantity but will then count towards your Google storage space.

OP get yourself a Chromecast then it will randomly display photos from selected goofle albums on TV for you.

talkshowhost97 Sat 24-Dec-16 17:37:59

We use an external hard drive that all phones and cameras are backed up to.

AVirginLitTheCandle Sat 24-Dec-16 17:48:51

I put them on my laptop.

AVirginLitTheCandle Sat 24-Dec-16 17:49:14

I also back them up on a memory stick.

knaffedoff Sat 24-Dec-16 21:27:28

For those that back up photos onto hard drives, do you have the icloud turned on or off on your settings on iPhones?

ThisThingCalledLife Sat 24-Dec-16 21:41:22

i had a lightbulb moment when i was wondering how to decorate the walls in my new flat on the cheap.

i transferred some onto canvas/print and now have my own 'art' collection fgrin
think i'll sell my Winter collection after the spring one is ready.....

it HAS to make me some decent money! i'm out of any other ideas fsad

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 24-Dec-16 22:06:38

All those backing up to hard drives, make sure you use more than one drive and a RAID system, hard drives fail pretty frequently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now