Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not expect jehovah's witnesses on Christmas Eve!

(106 Posts)
Dizzybintess Sat 24-Dec-16 16:24:27

This afternoon we had 2 jehovah's witnesses knock on our door and my DH answered and they began preaching about the fact that they were spreading the word that Jesus didn't exist. My DD who is 5 attends a church school so started preaching back to them that Jesus is the reason for Christmas. DD was giving quite a compelling argument. The couple looked quite keen to leave!
AIBU in not expecting this on Christmas Eve!

SnatchedPencil Sat 24-Dec-16 16:27:26

Had them here this morning, they don't take holidays!

SauvignonBlanche Sat 24-Dec-16 16:27:57

I had some come round on Christmas Day once!

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 24-Dec-16 16:29:56

I wish they knew enough to give your DD a history lesson. grin Jesus isn't the reason for Christmas. At least not Christmas in December...

I quite fancy getting some. Mince pies all round.

Dizzybintess Sat 24-Dec-16 16:32:04

Actually DD was on about that the other day that Jesus was not born in December. She also told me yesterday that there was a 4th wise man! I never knew that.

Christmas Day!!! That's seriously taking the piss!!!
They are never going to win anyone over on that day!
I class it as cold calling

JenLindleyShitMom Sat 24-Dec-16 16:32:07

They don't celebrate Xmas, why would they not be round on Xmas eve? It's just another day to them.

cardibach Sat 24-Dec-16 16:32:37

If they were saying Jesus didn't exist they aren't Jehovah's Witnesses - they definitely believe in Jesus!

JenLindleyShitMom Sat 24-Dec-16 16:34:15

Actually Xmas day is a really hard day for a lot of people and they can be extremely vulnerable so easy prey for JWs. My best friends mum was converted (and acknowledges this!) when she was just out of an abusive relationship and struggling with 3 children. She knows she wouldn't have converted had she been less desperate to change her situation.

MoodyBox Sat 24-Dec-16 16:34:46

They are trying to save you from hell which is quite a noble cause really (from their POV, at least). Also it is great practice for your daughter's debating skills. YABU

calzone Sat 24-Dec-16 16:34:59

Of course they weren't preaching that Jesus didn't exist......they were probably showing the Awake magazine entitled Did Jesus really exist?

HecAteAllTheXmasPud Sat 24-Dec-16 16:35:36

Jw saying jesus didnt exist?
They absolutely believe in jesus.
If these people were saying that and claimng to be jw - they were lying.

calzone Sat 24-Dec-16 16:35:51

And they aren't trying to save you from hell as JWs don't believe in hell.

Were they actually Mormons? We had some today but as I was in on my own, they weren't able to come in the house as apparently my husband would need to be there to chaperone me?! It was too cold to chat at the door so off they went

JenLindleyShitMom Sat 24-Dec-16 16:36:17

Also you sound quite proud that your 5yo was able to respond to religious garbage with her own version of religious garbage. confused no-one got the better of anyone. They both just spouted rubbish at each other.

AndShesGone Sat 24-Dec-16 16:36:18

You don't mean JW's confused

I was about to say I would actually EXPECT Christian denominations to visit more at Christmas than any other time!

CorporalNobbyNobbs Sat 24-Dec-16 16:36:26

I'd love to meet these renegade JWs who are telling people Jesus doesn't exist!

Mandraki Sat 24-Dec-16 16:37:46

I used to be a JW and (sorry!) but I have been a xmas day door knocker. I cringed a little at the time, I felt a bit like maybe we shouldn't be doing it on xmas day but we were told how important it was to preach so I did it. People mostly didn't answer the door. But looking back (and celebrating Christmas myself now) I realise how intrusive it must have been, even a bit inappropriate(?). If you don't want them at your door all you have to do is ask them to put you on their do not call list and you'll not get a visit again (maybe once in a while to see if you still live there, to keep the list up to date). As PP's have said though, they don't celebrate Christmas so it is just like another day to them and maybe they don't understand the significance of it to regular people, I certainly didn't!

Oh no, Mormons also believe in Jesus. I would have known that if they'd had time to get their message across!

yorkshapudding Sat 24-Dec-16 16:38:31

Well, it's just another day to them so no reason why they wouldn't come knocking.
However, I strongly disagree with the practice of turning up at peoples homes unsolicited in an attempt to push your religious beliefs on them on any day of the year so YANBU.

Dizzybintess Sat 24-Dec-16 16:39:14

That's what they were talking about the awake magazine.
They said they ramp up their campaigns around Christmas.

Mandraki Sat 24-Dec-16 16:40:09

Also JWs defo believe in Jesus, they just don't believe he was born on Christmas Day. They believe in Jesus, he just isn't as big a deal as the big guy Jehovah.

8misskitty8 Sat 24-Dec-16 16:40:45

JW's do a lot of their witnessing around Christian celebrations. - Christmas, Easter.
Are you sure they were JW's ? They do believe in Jesus etc.

Dizzybintess Sat 24-Dec-16 16:41:08

I'm proud that she has listened well at school JenLindleyShitMom
I take it tomorrow will be just a normal day for you then?

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sat 24-Dec-16 16:41:18

YNBU. Its wrong to force your beliefs on people time, and especially so at Christmas

JenLindleyShitMom Sat 24-Dec-16 16:42:20

I take it tomorrow will be just a normal day for you then?

Yes a normal Xmas day where I will share presents and food with my family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now