Talk

Advanced search

To think westerners shouldn't smoke

(363 Posts)
TonaldDrump Sat 24-Dec-16 15:51:01

On holiday abroad right now in Asia. We've been staying at a resort where there are loads of Scandinavians, Dutch and Brits.

It really bothers me when they just light up in places they'd never do at home. We were sitting in a cafe and someone (Scandinavian) started smoking next to us. A Brit did the same at another restaurant.

Locals, including local tourists I can understand because there isn't a no- smoking culture here but anyone from northern or Western Europe or Northern America should have it ingrained that it's disgusting and unhealthy for those around them and it should be second nature.

It feels like they're just taking advantage even though they know it's anti-social!

It's disgusting, right? Or aibu?

Alabastard Sat 24-Dec-16 15:53:02

YABU.

grabs popcorn

marvelousdcomics Sat 24-Dec-16 15:54:11

YABU confused biscuit

RedHelenB Sat 24-Dec-16 15:54:32

When in Rome!

876TaylorMade Sat 24-Dec-16 15:54:59

fbiscuit

Ginmakesitallok Sat 24-Dec-16 15:55:04

Yabu

BewtySkoolDropowt Sat 24-Dec-16 15:55:23

Wow! Want to see how this progresses.

Footinmouthasusual Sat 24-Dec-16 15:55:24

Well is there a smoking ban in Scandinavia and Holland like In the U.K.? I bloody hate it though.

FlappyRose Sat 24-Dec-16 15:55:31

YABU.

Get over yourself.

Sirzy Sat 24-Dec-16 15:55:40

So they are smoking in a place it's legal to smoke? Can't see what they are doing wrong!

I am no fan of smoking but you can't stop someone smoking in public in a place it's legal to do so

TheNaze73 Sat 24-Dec-16 15:55:44

YABU. I detest smoking but, you're idea is batshit & borderline racism

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 24-Dec-16 15:55:55

Surely that's the point. To holiday somewhere they can smoke where they like. If you like being smoke-free, you could holiday in Canada or Sweden <dies of boredom>

TonaldDrump Sat 24-Dec-16 15:55:55

Why popcorn? I think it's disgusting and anti social, why is that unreasonable? Because they're in a country which hasn't developed its anti smoking laws as much? That makes it ok and we all have to eat with their cigarette smoke wafting our way?

AllOfTheCoffee Sat 24-Dec-16 15:56:44

Is Asian second hand smoke less disgusting than western smoke? I would imagine they're smoking too.

I accept that, if I am somewhere where it is legal/acceptable to smoke in public places, restaurants etc, people are going to smoke. You have to abide by the local rules and customs.

Sirzy Sat 24-Dec-16 15:57:21

Is the smoke less "antisocial" if it is local then?

Perhaps if it bothers you so much you should check the laws on smoking before booking?

TonaldDrump Sat 24-Dec-16 15:57:59

Borderline racism?! Wtaf? I'm not talking about their race but their country of origin. What's race got to do with it?!

And batshit for thinking cigarette smoke is disgusting?!

Ok....

Wolverbamptonwanderer Sat 24-Dec-16 15:58:52

Eh? Of course yabu. Why wouldn't they smoke when they're allowed to?

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 24-Dec-16 15:59:01

In China everyone is smoking (everyone makes) so the addition of a couple of white tourists would make no difference...

WaitrosePigeon Sat 24-Dec-16 15:59:11

Because they're in a country which hasn't developed its anti smoking laws as much? That makes it ok and we all have to eat with their cigarette smoke wafting our way?

Yes that's exactly it.

I would be doing the same if I was them too fsmile

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 24-Dec-16 15:59:16

*male

someonestolemynick Sat 24-Dec-16 15:59:51

Yab precious, sorry.

People are presumably allowed to smoke in public buildings in your destination. Some may have chosen this holiday so they can smoke indoors. Suck it up.

SparklyLeprechaun Sat 24-Dec-16 16:00:04

Do you object to a Saudi drinking in a British restaurant? After all we haven't caught up to their drinking laws yet.

Dontneedausername Sat 24-Dec-16 16:00:34

You might think it's disgusting and anti-social. The smokers probably don't....

Footinmouthasusual Sat 24-Dec-16 16:00:51

Do you think the westerners should set a better example to these little Asia people then?!hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now