Talk

Advanced search

Would it be unreasonable to leave DH on his own Christmas night?

(57 Posts)
cherrycrumblecustard Sat 24-Dec-16 09:30:03

Obviously, after the children are in bed?

A friend has texted me and invited me to hers for an hour or so (she is a single mum so can't come to ours) for a catch up, I really want to go. But before I ask DH if it's okay with him I wondered if I'm way off in thinking this is acceptable?

RedHelenB Sat 24-Dec-16 09:33:16

Cant see why that would be a problem.

formerbabe Sat 24-Dec-16 09:33:35

It depends. My dh would love this so he could get some peace and quiet and control of the remote! Ask him?

Sceptimum Sat 24-Dec-16 09:35:24

Depends on your relationship and Christmas traditions but I would say go. I'd be perfectly happy to chill with some leftovers and a bad movie alone for a few hours if my partner wanted to go see someone.

Bluntness100 Sat 24-Dec-16 09:36:13

Why don't you ask him?

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sat 24-Dec-16 09:38:19

Totally.

Leave him with the Blackadder and Bottom Christmas specials though.

cherrycrumblecustard Sat 24-Dec-16 09:55:42

Because I wanted to ask here before I asked him, in case everybody was like 'oh my god no how terrible I could never do that'. Thanks.

harderandharder2breathe Sat 24-Dec-16 09:56:45

Not unreasonable to ask him if he minds. He's a grown up, I'm sure he'll be fine

user1477282676 Sat 24-Dec-16 09:57:18

Well is Christmas evening something you usually spend together and something special to both of you?

cherrycrumblecustard Sat 24-Dec-16 10:00:55

Not really.

Maverickismywingman Sat 24-Dec-16 10:04:56

I would do it.

But do make sure it's a wine/coffee/catch up and not a toy building/Santa duties thingy

stillwantrachelshair Sat 24-Dec-16 10:08:52

I took this as meaning the evening of Xmas Day into Boxing Day rather than this evening but, if it was this evening, unlike a previous poster, I would ask if she needed help building toys etc &, if so, definitely go around as some of these things are two person jobs and, as a single mum, she may just need a hand.

Maverickismywingman Sat 24-Dec-16 10:10:14

Ah! Think you are right still and I have the wrong end of the stick.

Absolutely yes then. Surely dh will be glad to fall asleep in front of the telly

LindyHemming Sat 24-Dec-16 10:10:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cherrycrumblecustard Sat 24-Dec-16 10:33:42

Yes, it is tomorrow evening. 25th.

KayTee87 Sat 24-Dec-16 10:36:42

Wouldn't bother me if dh did this later on once baby was sleeping. I'd just watch a film or have an early night.

SortAllTheThings Sat 24-Dec-16 10:38:36

Go, I think it's fine.

StripeyDeckchair Sat 24-Dec-16 11:10:25

Christmas Day? To me it would be extremely U to go off to see a friend & leave OH alone. Once the children are in bed it's the time for curling up together sharing a nice bottle of wine, looking back on the day & enjoying being together.

Wouldn't do it Christmas Eve either but that's because we go to midnight communium at church & im always knackered.

VladmirsPoutine Sat 24-Dec-16 11:13:34

I'd go but then it wouldn't occur to me that my partner would have any reservations. You're not each other's keepers.

MrsJayy Sat 24-Dec-16 11:15:21

Im sure it would be fine here we splodge on the couch watching christmas telly anyway Im sure your dh wouldnt mind remote to himself and your friend miggt be chomping at the bit for company and a chat.

cherrycrumblecustard Sat 24-Dec-16 11:21:24

Yeah but vlad one person has said they would find it very unreasonable. So not everyone is the same.

MrsJayy Sat 24-Dec-16 11:24:59

What do you usually do Christmas night ? My dh usually nods off then goes to bed by 9 leaving us

cherrycrumblecustard Sat 24-Dec-16 11:26:59

Nothing! Christmas isn't a massive deal really which is why I know sometimes I can do something and people gasp and go oh gosh but Christmas ... So I thought I'd better check on here.

YelloDraw Sat 24-Dec-16 11:27:29

I think it would be ok - unless you've got a romantic meal and sex by the fire planned!

Xmasbaby11 Sat 24-Dec-16 11:34:55

If it's a close friend and the only time you can see her it seems OK. I'd personally find it odd but that's because I'd want to be with my dh Xmas day evening. We've been busy lots of evenings in the run up to Xmas so time together is precious. For me Xmas day is home and close family.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: