Talk

Advanced search

Not done the Christmas food shop yet. Any advice on the best tactics for tomorrow?

(83 Posts)
auntyemaily Fri 23-Dec-16 22:35:14

Just that really. I'll need to do a budget supermarket and at least one other store. Do I rock up for opening time, or is that what everyone else will do?

RuggerHug Fri 23-Dec-16 22:35:44

Pray.

auntyemaily Fri 23-Dec-16 22:36:26

Bollocks, meant to put this in chat. That's what you get for drinking chocolate baileys (instead of going to Tesco)

MillieMoodle Fri 23-Dec-16 22:37:33

Haha Rugger, I came on the thread to say exactly the same.

Pray, OP, pray.

But really, yes get there for when supermarket opens. It will be chaos. And also pray.

Good luck!

RuggerHug Fri 23-Dec-16 22:37:49

Good luck fwink

auntyemaily Fri 23-Dec-16 22:38:23

Oh god confused

MillieMoodle Fri 23-Dec-16 22:38:58

Sharpen your elbows as well fgrin

Therealbridgetjones Fri 23-Dec-16 22:39:34

Also suggesting pray.

Can't you make a trip to a 24 hour now..?

DailyFaily Fri 23-Dec-16 22:39:41

Go early, it'll be busy but you'll be fine - quietest I ever saw Morrisons was when I had to do an emergency calpol run half an hour before closing on Christmas Eve so that's another option - wasn't much left though!

DollyPlastic Fri 23-Dec-16 22:40:02

Go at 4pm. It will be deserted.

MillieMoodle Fri 23-Dec-16 22:41:01

Dolly surely at 4pm it will be deserted either because it's closed or because there's no food left?!

auntyemaily Fri 23-Dec-16 22:41:06

bridget I am really wishing I'd not started drinking now. No unfortunately.

threestars Fri 23-Dec-16 22:41:19

We went to the supermarket in the middle of the night to do our Xmas shop once and there was bugger all. No staff to restock the shelves. Much better to do it in the day. We usually do it on Christmas Eve and it's fine. Sometimes we even get a load of marked-down bargains. I don't need to do a full shop tomorrow as we're having lunch elsewhere, but I'll be getting stuff for breakfast and for Boxing Day. It's not that bad!

Grittyshunts Fri 23-Dec-16 22:42:20

Make a list, stick to the list, go on your own at opening time and take a can of hairspray (if anyone gets in the way, spray them!!) grin

auntyemaily Fri 23-Dec-16 22:42:53

See I've nipped into m&s on Xmas eve a few years ago (for ONE item) and it was pretty quiet.
So I kind of convinced myself it would be fiiine fconfused

DollyPlastic Fri 23-Dec-16 22:43:19

Ours shuts at 7, they usually have a lot left.

thecolonelbumminganugget Fri 23-Dec-16 22:43:20

Maybe too late now but we struck gold this year by going late night. Our sainsburys is open til midnight so we went at 10.30pm on Wednesday and had the place pretty much to ourselves. This is the only way we're ever shopping for Christmas food in future.

ChocoChou Fri 23-Dec-16 22:44:13

Millie I was going to say something witty about sharpening your elbows too but you beat me to it

Good luck OP. I'll be thinking of you..... flowers

TheGruffaloMother Fri 23-Dec-16 22:44:14

Go as early as you can and head to the most important or most in-demand things on your list first.

OnyK Fri 23-Dec-16 22:44:44

I went to Lidl today, mid afternoon. Carpark was packed, but the store wasn't too bad at all and had plenty of fresh food. Only thing I couldn't get was a panettone, which is what I went there for! Got a stollen instead though.

Eevee77 Fri 23-Dec-16 22:50:35

I just got back from asda and it was pretty quiet compared to normal. Still busy though. Lots of empty shelves

Splashingincuddles Fri 23-Dec-16 22:53:24

I did ours in M&S at lunchtime today and there was MASSES of stock and a constant stream of staff filling shelves. They're open 24hrs at the moment. The staff were saying people were fighting over food yesterday! I've done M&S on Christmas Eve before - was fine. Just have a list and make sure you're not in a rush. And don't take children if at all possible! Good luck!

Freshprincess Fri 23-Dec-16 22:53:38

Get there as soon as it opens. Are you going to Tesco? Do the self scan thing, there wasn't a queue for that at all today. And no browsing, get what's on your list and go home.

PodgeBod Fri 23-Dec-16 22:53:55

I might be joining you. My online Christmas shopping order hasn't arrived hmm

Camomila Fri 23-Dec-16 22:54:10

Send DP/DH?

That's what I'm doing grin He'll be off to the 24h Tesco around 6 or 7 am tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now