Talk

Advanced search

I don't think IABU!!

(14 Posts)
SoDownSoGone Fri 23-Dec-16 21:18:11

So basically a family member of mine has a friend. This friend (let's call her A) admitted to my family member she got a refund on a cancelled holiday. This holiday was for 10 members of A's family. 'A' told her family that the company kept the money and they got no refund. 'A' then kept £4000 for herself. I've asked My family member how can you be friends with someone who has stolen off their own family!!!! My family member said IABU as A would never do that to her and that they have a good friendship. I can't even bare to see A now I know she's conned her family. In fact it infuriates me as her family are lovely. AIBU?

Champagneformyrealfriends Fri 23-Dec-16 21:19:50

Yanbu-what a twat A is. I'd probably shop her to her family tbh.

HarryPottersMagicWand Fri 23-Dec-16 21:21:04

Can you let it 'slip' to her family? "Oh you much have been so relieved to get your money back"

You cant force your family member to cut ties with this woman. She isn't someone I could associate with or trust though. What a bitch!

SoDownSoGone Fri 23-Dec-16 21:52:42

No I can't as I only see them like at large gatherings. A is soo up her own arse and thinks she is perfect. I can't bare her knowing she is a thief

BIgBagofJelly Fri 23-Dec-16 22:47:05

Jesus I couldn't have anything to do with her, whether or not she'd cheat me is irrelevant what a nasty thing to do!

SoDownSoGone Fri 23-Dec-16 23:07:55

exactly I have to be in the same room as her and her partner who looks equally shifty but he might be ok! I'm so glad IANBU. In my head I knew I was in the right but I can't see why my family member wants to keep associating with her and it's making me wonder about her own character. Is she like her friend but I've never known it?

RubyRoseViolet Sat 24-Dec-16 00:01:10

That's absolutely appalling behaviour. So dishonest!! No wonder you are struggling to be friendly towards her.

kali110 Sat 24-Dec-16 00:04:10

Yanbu, what scum

DJBaggySmalls Sat 24-Dec-16 00:05:18

Thats fraud. If any of it was paid by credit card, then its credit card fraud. I couldnt trust her ever again and I wouldnt have anything to do with her.

Ohdearducks Sat 24-Dec-16 00:08:17

That's fucking awful, would the police be interested in this? It's theft after all but probably won't be as it's hearsay I suppose but still! She can't be allowed to get away with that!

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Sat 24-Dec-16 00:12:23

DH's older brother has conned virtually his entire family out of tens (maybe even hundreds) of thousands of pounds, one of DH's brothers alone is £26k in debt because of him. I dread to think how much the PIL have lost from "investing" (he called it investing, he just pocketed the cash...) in his business. He ran a successful business but didn't pay many of his bills, he even resented paying the staff hmm anyway, long story short, he declared himself bankrupt, closed the business down, went on the run and the full extent of his debt has been revealed as £2,000,000 (yes really, two million!).

MIL says we should feel sorry for him confused

I completely understand OP, it hurts when a person is happily willing to rip off their own family like that. None of us want anything to do with him anymore, and he's told the £26k-in-debt brother that he doesn't want to hear from him ever again angry

MavisTheTwinklyToreador Sat 24-Dec-16 00:17:26

fshock I would hate to be in this situation.

Seren85 Sat 24-Dec-16 01:03:13

I had a former friend do similar but to a lesser amount. I'm not even convinced that she ever booked the holiday as opposed to just taking the money. She said that she couldn't get a refund (which would have been fair enough if true) but was too skint to refund everyone herself due to her cancelling for a ridiculous reason. She then was all over Facebook bragging about recent purchases. Like I said, former friend. If it had been a random acquaintance then I would not want to be around said person at all.

SoDownSoGone Sat 24-Dec-16 05:19:09

the more I think about it the more angry I am. Vile person.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now