Talk

Advanced search

Security guard fail?

(23 Posts)
streetylight Fri 23-Dec-16 19:57:18

Maybe he didn't exactly fail at his job but a little more discretion was needed.

Walking out of Sainsbury's today loaded with bags and I hear someone calling excuse me folks several times, I ignore because I know I haven't forgotten anything as I hadn't actually bought anything (or stole anything) , it was a security guard saying we had set the alarm off and I opened up my bags eagerly to prove I had nothing I shouldn't and desperate to get to the car so I don't get a ticket! He starts picking out my shopping checking for tags I think but in doing so showed my 7yr old son every item! He's over the moon now to know what he's getting but I'm a bit disappointed that the surprise has been spoilt. I'm sure the guard didn't think and I did try to shield my shopping from my son but was conscious of the fact everyone looking had me down as guilty as they walked by. The guard was very polite and wished us a merry Christmas etc but I was left speechless by the whole experience that I felt I had just allowed to happen. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Gardencentregroupie Fri 23-Dec-16 19:59:53

Yabu. Most people would assume your child saw the shopping at the checkout if they were leaving the store with you, and it sounds like the guard did his job politely but effectively.

witsender Fri 23-Dec-16 20:04:18

What were you speechless about?

Arfarfanarf Fri 23-Dec-16 20:05:23

Yes. He probably didnt think that youd have your son right there shopping with you if the items were a surprise.
You should have asked your son to turn round or something.

Sirzy Fri 23-Dec-16 20:06:03

Surely if you shop for presents with the recipient there is always the chance they will see it?

He was just doing his job.

PatriciaHolm Fri 23-Dec-16 20:06:15

So you did all your Christmas present shopping for your son with him in tow?

streetylight Fri 23-Dec-16 20:08:45

My son didn't see me buy his presents as I bought them whilst he was in a different shop with his dad about 2hrs before we went to Sainsbury's.

I understand the security guard was doing his job and in fact was extremely friendly. I just wish he had been a little more discrete.

I know I'm being unreasonable to of expected things to of happened differently. I'm just sounding off.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Fri 23-Dec-16 20:11:35

YABU. That is all. fsmile

Arfarfanarf Fri 23-Dec-16 20:11:36

You were carrying them round for 2 hours with no opportunity to pop them in the boot of the car?
You poor thing. Your arms must have been dropping off 😁 no wonder you were in a mood. I'd have been a bit fed up too.

Emochild Fri 23-Dec-16 20:11:58

The security guard can't really check your bags properly without exposing your items though can he

He's just doing his job and wandering around for a couple of hours carrying bags of presents when you are out with recipient was always going to be risky

titchy Fri 23-Dec-16 20:16:17

Sorry yabu. Perfectly reasonable for him to assume your dc was in the shop with you and therefore would have seen what you'd bought.

You could have asked your ds/dh to look away, or asked the security guard to check behind a counter.

But you didn't so your fault really.

Keremy Fri 23-Dec-16 20:16:38

Op I think you are getting a hard time.

I have done this and plonked dc in the supermarket cafe (a bit older) while I have done it. No other choice as a single working Mum who worked while the kids were in school.

Not everyone has a car to put things in the boot.

But he was just doing his job I guess

streetylight Fri 23-Dec-16 22:17:53

Wow I didn't expect some of these reactions. I think in future I should give more time to finding a better area to post. I didn't really mean to ask if I was being unreasonable I just needed to share. I didn't think I'd be judged on my shopping technique. Each to their own ! Merry Christmas

Pseudonym99 Fri 23-Dec-16 22:32:16

You should have refused to let the security guard check your bags. He has no right to check them, and there is nothing he can do if you carry on walking.

Candlestickchick Fri 23-Dec-16 22:34:30

If it helps OP I don't think you're being unreasonable at all. It doesn't take a brain of Britain to work out someone might not want to reveal the entire contents of their shopping to their child on 23rd december, and you're entitled to be upset that your DC'a surprise has been spoilt.

eurochick Fri 23-Dec-16 22:37:38

Why didn't you say that his presents were in the bag so to turn around or something?

Ameliablue Fri 23-Dec-16 22:37:56

The problem is that you are blaming the security guard when he did nothing wrong.

LittleBooInABox Fri 23-Dec-16 22:38:01

Actually no, he was not doing his job.

They are actually not allowed to stop you unless they see you take something and not pay for it. Working on a hunch is falsely accusing someone.

Also they are supposed to ask you to a private spot. So to avoid the gaze of onlookers. Innocent until proven guilty.

YANBU - complain.

britbat23 Fri 23-Dec-16 22:38:48

OP you posted in AIBU not Dull Anecdotes Corner so people are going to tell you whether or not they think YABU

Crumbs1 Fri 23-Dec-16 22:39:43

Actually, I don't think you are being unreasonable either. He should have sufficient grey matter to work out that there may have been items for the child and been a bit careful.

Pseudonym99 Fri 23-Dec-16 22:49:11

He can ask if he can search your bags,and you have the right to say no. If you agree, he is doing nothing wrong. If you say no and he refuses to let you go, that is assault.

IgglePiggleIsDead Fri 23-Dec-16 22:56:52

I don't think you can blame the security guard, as others have said he would have assumed the shopping was done in view of the child.
I work in sainsburys and if this happened and you would have said his presents were in the bag then a member of staff would have happily kept him occupied letting him pick a chocolate from the tub we have for customers.

LovingLola Fri 23-Dec-16 23:00:26

You opened up your bags eagerly to show him what was in them. And how was he supposed to know that you would rather your 7 year old not see what was in the bags?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now