Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to want to give my children a Christmas present?

(130 Posts)
Frogandbear Fri 23-Dec-16 17:32:16

I'm currently wrapping presents and my husband is having a tantrum. angry I said that I wanted the main present to be from Mummy and Daddy and the smaller gifts in the Santa sack to be from Father Christmas. Husband is furious and says that all presents should be from Father Christmas! hmm He is obsessed with having everything his way and can't see my point of view. sad

I've taken the time to carefully pick out presents I know the children will love (he picked one present...) - surely I'm not be unreasonable to want at least one of the presents to be from Mummy and Daddy? Why the heck should Father Christmas take all the credit for the gifts?

AIBU to want to have my children know that Mummy has bought them a present?

Lilaclily Fri 23-Dec-16 17:34:18

Oh dear , two different opinions of how Christmas should be done

Lovepancakes Fri 23-Dec-16 17:34:36

Yanbu- surely they'd wonder why you hadn't given them a present which could def damage self esteem !

ProudBadMum Fri 23-Dec-16 17:35:12

Write them from mummy and santa

WheresTheEvidence Fri 23-Dec-16 17:35:45

I hate the whole father Christmas brings everything.
What happens when the Children buy gifts for relatives/grandparents and they don't give them a gift back ?
Poor relatives who buy gifts and don't get to acknowledge that they thought the child would like it
Wouldn't it be weird for mummy and daddy not to give hem something when they've spent the last few weeks making cards and gifts for them

Bloody stupid idea if you ask me.

Father Christmas brings a stocking with small bits and bobs, parents and family buy the other bits. It is JUST as special JUST as Christmassy JUST as lovely than if you give santa all the recognition.

SweepTheHalls Fri 23-Dec-16 17:35:48

1 or 2 from Santa, plus stocking. The rest is from us.

JosephineMaynard Fri 23-Dec-16 17:35:59

We do a mix of presents from mummy and daddy, and presents from Santa.

On a serious note, I do know of small children who've got horribly upset at not being given any presents from their parents, despite receiving a great big pile of presents from Santa.

123rd Fri 23-Dec-16 17:36:17

Agree with you. I do all the hard work why should Father Christmas get all of the credit for the cool presents ??

Tbf, we do mix it up a little. But different family = different family traditions. Same as when to pull crackers?? Before eating?? Half way thru??? Bloody minefield!

Shedoesntgetthatfromme Fri 23-Dec-16 17:37:28

Why the heck should Father Christmas take all the credit for the gifts?
So. That day when you became a parent - did you not get the memo about putting your own (childish) needs on hold in the interests of your children's happiness/ enjoyment/whatever...? Clearly some sort of clerical error I assume.

krustykittens Fri 23-Dec-16 17:37:58

Only one present came from Santa in this house. I don't see why a ficiton person should get all the credit!

JenLindleyShitMom Fri 23-Dec-16 17:39:58

I give my DC a small wrapped gift from me (PJs, a book, chocolate santa) and the presents other people give them are just from those people. They all stay under the tree from when they are given. The santa presents are unwrapped and only appear overnight on Xmas eve/morning.

What age are your DC? Hasn't this ever come up before? Didn't you and DH have that conversation about how to do it?

Mummyh2016 Fri 23-Dec-16 17:41:19

I don't remember ever getting a present off Father Christmas, they were always off my mom and dad. I used to believe that my mom bought and wrapped them and santa used to collect them a couple of weeks before Christmas and bring them back on Christmas Eve grin

sirfredfredgeorge Fri 23-Dec-16 17:41:39

Saying all the presents come from santa is great! As it means the kids will much sooner either develop the hatred of their parents that adulthood demands for never giving them any gifts, or they'll realise immediately that Father Christmas is a made up fantasy and will teach them the importance of blindly going along with whatever imaginary crap the other people in their life needs. Important life skills, everything's a lesson!

Frogandbear Fri 23-Dec-16 17:43:27

So. That day when you became a parent - did you not get the memo about putting your own (childish) needs on hold in the interests of your children's happiness/ enjoyment/whatever...? Clearly some sort of clerical error I assume?

Is this a joke? grin Why would my children be any less happy because I had bought them one of their presents instead of Santa? grin Luckily my children's every happiness doesn't revolve around Christmas and presents. wink

DangerousBeanz Fri 23-Dec-16 17:43:36

A mixture of mummy and daddy and Santa here too. We use the 4 gift rule for Santa, wand need wear read so they cone from Santa everything else from mummy and daddy, but delivered by Santa. When family and friends bring gifts before Christmas they go under the tree. (DD is 6 now so olds enough to trust not to open them, previously they were all delivered by Santa but from who ever sent them.

SouthWindsWesterly Fri 23-Dec-16 17:46:09

One gift and stocking here. Thank you notes are written in the week after

HerBluebiro Fri 23-Dec-16 17:46:20

Mummyh same here. Santa (if I ever thought about it that much) was a strange delivery service. Presents definitely went away to santa and were bought by mum and dad. Santa also delivered to my grandparents.

The elves making things was what happened in the olden days. Like pinocchio.before factories when toys were made of wood

Now they are made of wood again I don't quite know what to say

Oly5 Fri 23-Dec-16 17:47:50

All our presents are from Father Christmas! What's wrong with that? This day isn't about ME and my kids knowing that I've done a lot of hard work.
It's about them and I'm
Very happy for them to think gifts are from Santa.
That's how I grew up and I loved it!

Redglitter Fri 23-Dec-16 17:48:19

I had a friend at school who's presents were all from Santa. Despite the fact she got just as many presents as the rest of us I remember us being really puzzled as to why her parents wouldn't buy her anything. We decided clearly Santa knew her parents were miserable and brought extra to compensate.

I think all presents from Santa is mad. One or two from him the rest from mum & dad.

Aliveinwanderland Fri 23-Dec-16 17:48:21

No presents come from Santa in my house. They are all labelled with the names of the person that purchased them. They get bought by relatives and then sent to Santa. He decides if the child has been good or not and then delivers them!

PatriciaHolm Fri 23-Dec-16 17:49:25

Santa brings stockings, other presents are from the giver. Children can then say thank you for them and have some appreciation of what other people do for them! (We never really did Santa anyway, I find it a very odd concept and the child were never convinced)

glitterandtinsel Fri 23-Dec-16 17:49:25

Half and half with each giving a main present. Although both my dcs are driving me f**king crazy and will be lucky to get anything!
I agree with you. But your dh needs to learn to compromise with things like this.

Out2pasture Fri 23-Dec-16 17:49:56

It gets difficult to maintain the "Father Christmas brings everything" concept when family give presents. It's reasonable that only some be from Father Christmas and the others from the actual gift givers.

grendel Fri 23-Dec-16 17:51:47

Small stocking presents from Father Christmas in this house. All other presents come from the people who actually gave them. It's good for children to learn to say 'thank you' to the people who took the trouble to find nice presents for them - and also a useful life skill to learn to say 'thank you, how lovely' when they receive something totally random from a distant aunt!

Never ever heard of the idea of Father Christmas bringing all presents except on MN.

HoHoHammered Fri 23-Dec-16 17:52:29

Parents buy and Santa delivers here.

Your Dh is being unreasonable in wanting everything his way

Least you've compromised to have some from Santa and just one from you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now