Talk

Advanced search

Ugh, whisperers.

(11 Posts)
calmingthoughts Fri 23-Dec-16 16:25:55

Am probably being unreasonable, but just had a baby and no/very little sleep for a week after a difficult labour and birth so perhaps understandable. I'm in a four bed ward on the postnatal unit and most people have their curtains closed for privacy. And most people are now having their conversations in whispers. It is driving me crazy. There's something about whispering that goes to the forefront of my attention and the thing is I don't want to listen to what anyone has to say but I find whispering very difficult to ignore and for some reason it really puts my back up.

I'm sure you could argue that people are being considerate but it's the middle of the day and it's drawing more attention to them in my mind, why can't people just talk normally?

It reminds me that I have a work colleague who whispers so as to 'not distract anyone'. Worst distraction ever.

Ugh, just shut up or talk at a normal volume.

Wolfiefan Fri 23-Dec-16 16:27:32

I think they probably are trying to be considerate. If they all spoke at normal volume surely that would be loud and distracting?
If you are recovering from a difficult birth is there any chance of a side room? Worth an ask?

harderandharder2breathe Fri 23-Dec-16 16:44:44

Yabu but it's understandable why

They're trying to be considerate. Can you have headphones on with music to drown them out?

NavyandWhite Fri 23-Dec-16 16:47:17

Better than shouting smile

MrsMozart Fri 23-Dec-16 16:49:27

Play some music (quietly).

Congrats on the new babe.

fibrecruncher Fri 23-Dec-16 17:23:43

I say this with great empathy but YABU. I had 5 days in hospital after my ds and I was pulling my hair out begging them to let me go home. Congrats on the newborn flowers

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 23-Dec-16 17:26:31

Headphones. And flowers

calmingthoughts Fri 23-Dec-16 17:43:31

Unanimous and as expected I am being unreasonable! I get it, these people are trying to be considerate, unfortunately just got one of my bug bears. And you're right, it's probably a good thing I don't know what it's like with people shouting!

Completely get the 'desperate to go home' vibes, am hoping we'll be discharged today to continue recovery at home, think it will be much calmer there.

Thanks all, you've set me straight.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Fri 23-Dec-16 17:52:49

Whispering can carry more than quiet talking as it exaggerates some of the sounds, so it's not unreasonable to find it irritating even though they are making attempts to be considerate.

There's been plenty of times that I've heard a student whispering when they should be silent, and I've whispered back clearly for the class to hear, "I can hear you you know!"

QueenMortificado Fri 23-Dec-16 17:54:10

A woman at my work has the most whispery voice and I'm convinced she is speaking parseltongue

Lilaclily Fri 23-Dec-16 17:56:18

Congratulations op, Hope you're home soon flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now