Talk

Advanced search

To drive to Dundee on Christmas day?

(77 Posts)
unlimiteddilutingjuice Fri 23-Dec-16 16:06:02

From our home in Glasgow?
I just opened the door for a second and the wind and rain is crazy.
Christmas eve (tomorrow) is supposed to be milder and there's a weather warning (yellow) for storms on Christmas Day.
We were planning to drive to the inlaws in Dundee on Christmas Day. We should go tomorrow instead, shouldn't we?
What do other Scots think?

toolonglurking Fri 23-Dec-16 16:10:08

I think you'll be fine, you'll be surprised at the number of lorries and commercial vehicles on the road.
The road from Glasgow to Dundee is really straight forward, just give lorries a wide berth in case they get caught in the wind.

Knitella Fri 23-Dec-16 16:12:55

We are planning a similar trip but further north. Hoping it will be fine but will play by ear on the day fsmile YANBU so long as focast on the day doesn't say YABU!

unlimiteddilutingjuice Fri 23-Dec-16 16:26:10

That's reassuring, thanks. I'll talk it through with DH and see what he thinks.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Fri 23-Dec-16 17:15:25

You would be unreasonable to drive to Dundee at any time.

I jest! fsmile

I would be inclined to go tomorrow, just in case.

SheSparkles Fri 23-Dec-16 17:18:03

waves from Dundee

You should be fine, just be careful with the wind round about Stirling where the road's a lot higher

Ginmakesitallok Fri 23-Dec-16 17:19:18

You'll be fine!

BewtySkoolDropowt Fri 23-Dec-16 17:19:32

I think it will be OK. Yellow warning isn't too bad.

strawberryblondebint Fri 23-Dec-16 17:21:35

I'm in Dundee. Whilst it's a bit cold and has been raining it's nothing like the weather in Glasgow. Up you come. It's only a short drive. Last Christmas we walked on the beach at Monifieth. Roads will be quiet.

museumum Fri 23-Dec-16 17:23:40

It's due to ease off around midday Christmas Day. We're making a trip over the forth bridge about that time so I hope that's true!

ImNotWhoYouThinkIAmOhNo Fri 23-Dec-16 17:25:58

If you're going up the A9, maybe go through Perth rather than over the Friarton Bridge -I would--

Bet it's fine when you get there.

OhFuds Fri 23-Dec-16 17:31:23

I'd go tomorrow, I couldn't be arsed with that drive on xmas day.

biscuitkumquat Fri 23-Dec-16 17:37:27

I'm in Dundee too well Carnoustie, but close enough <waves to fellow Dundonians>

Weather is a bit blowy but not terrible by any manner or means.

PaulAnkaTheDog Fri 23-Dec-16 17:39:42

It'll be fine.

RoseDog Fri 23-Dec-16 17:40:42

Hello fellow Dundee folks <waves>

I would imagine driving would be ok on Sunday, do you follow Windy Wilson on facebook or twitter, he will keep you right!

SestraClone Fri 23-Dec-16 17:40:44

I'm near Dundee, it's not that bad. Bridges are closed to high sided vehicles but thats about it.

LunaLoveg00d Fri 23-Dec-16 17:41:42

Check the forecast tomorrow morning and make the call then. There won't be lorries on the road on Christmas Day, and few tomorrow. Would go Stirling - Perth - Dundee rather than the M8 to Edinburgh and over the Forth Bridge as it could well be closed.

SestraClone Fri 23-Dec-16 17:42:29

Windy Wilson blocked me from his Facebook page grin

YouCanShoveYourOtherGranny Fri 23-Dec-16 17:45:52

unlimited - surely some good soul will Show You The Road and The Miles ...

Could not resist. Sorry. So unhelpful, I know.

RoseDog Fri 23-Dec-16 17:49:37

Sestra how? why?

crazywriter Fri 23-Dec-16 19:12:17

I regularly did that journey and always found it milder the further east I went. Christmas Day drives are also quiet (we once did that drive for peace and quiet). I'd donly the Stirling route to about the Edinburgh bridge ( but I've always preferred the Stirling route anyway). See what the weather is like tomorrow but I think Christmas day is a good call.

unlimiteddilutingjuice Fri 23-Dec-16 19:17:03

Thanks everyone. DH is pretty sanguine about the weather reports and you guys are very reassuring. I think we'll do Christmas day, assuming the weather report tomorrow looks OK.

BaggyCheeks Fri 23-Dec-16 19:17:07

Sestra what did you do to deserve that??

YABU to go to Dundee at all fwink

I'd just drive up tomorrow to save having the long drive on Christmas Day, rather than because of the weather. The winds are meant to peak tonight so unless you're in a high sided vehicle you'll be fine. It's not been too bad in the east.

MrsPeelyWally Fri 23-Dec-16 19:19:54

Its lovely to see there are other posters from Dundee.

DrWhooves Fri 23-Dec-16 19:20:02

Ooh Sestra, were you naughty? He is a grumpy bugger sometimes though, I've seen people get blocked over nothing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now