Talk

Advanced search

Christmas is ruined!

(214 Posts)
Mollmoo Fri 23-Dec-16 12:46:01

For Christmas my 2 year old is having a Peppa Pig scooter. Last night I asked DH to put it together, which he did. Excellent. Feeling very smug and organised. I hid the scooter away and thought he'd put the box out in the bin but he put it in the utility room. I didn't realise this and just went out there, followed by my 4 year old. Immediately she spots the box and starts asking about it and wanting to look at it. I told her it was nothing and ushered her out the room, she kept trying to get back in so I ended up getting really cross and sent her to her room. Yes I know not exactly top parenting by me, but I panicked!
She's really inquisitive and remembers everything! I just know as soon as her sister unwraps the scooter she's going to make a comment about that being what she saw. I'm absolutely devastated and feel like at 4 when it should be the most magical it's ruined for her.
DH is now in a strop as I asked him why on earth he left it there on full display.
Merry flipping Christmas sad

ghostyslovesheets Fri 23-Dec-16 12:47:11

seriously?

I mean

seriously?

RedHelenB Fri 23-Dec-16 12:47:53

No she will still get caught up in all the excitement, bet she will have forgotten exactly what she saw!!

Helloitsme87 Fri 23-Dec-16 12:47:58

In our house santa only brings the stockings as mum and dad work their bloody arses off all year to buy gifts and don't want me Claus taking all the credit.
Try not to worry, can you not just say this was a gift from you and santa bring something else?

HoHoHammered Fri 23-Dec-16 12:48:00

What ghosty said...

ProudBadMum Fri 23-Dec-16 12:48:23

She's 4 and it's just a scooter. Christmas isn't ruined

Don't be so dramatic, your daughter won't give a shit

cansu Fri 23-Dec-16 12:49:20

You just say santa must have stored it there or left it there early as it was too big for sleigh or whatever. Really no big deal. Your dd will be busy wirh own things so this is not a problem unless you make it one.

SundayNightRoast Fri 23-Dec-16 12:49:33

Don't be silly! She's two! Give her a talk about how the box came with something else in it but if she wishes very hard she might get a scooter like the one on the box.
Or make the scooter from you instead of Santa.

LittleWingSoul Fri 23-Dec-16 12:49:54

Just make the scooter the present from you instead of santa?

CryingShame Fri 23-Dec-16 12:50:23

Can you unassemble it and put it away for her birthday?

Gallavich Fri 23-Dec-16 12:50:25

This is why you shouldn't have santa bring all the presents

Musicinthe00ssucks Fri 23-Dec-16 12:50:26

Erm fbiscuit OP?

IfartInYourGeneralDirection Fri 23-Dec-16 12:50:30

Its fine, you will look back and laugh I promise

braceybracegirl Fri 23-Dec-16 12:50:43

I can understand why you are upset. I would say it's a present from mummy and daddy.

Isadora2007 Fri 23-Dec-16 12:50:47

Ruined?

You are being totally unreasonable.

I'm sure parents of children in the hospital would swap, or those with relatives in hospice, or a thousand other actual scenarios where people may feel justified in feeling Xmas is ruined.

But a peppa pig bloody scooter? No.

if you must equate Christmas with believeing in the whole Santa story (which I dont) then just say he only brings stockings or one gift. Hence the others are from you.

lougle Fri 23-Dec-16 12:51:27

Yep, you're over-reacting a fair bit here. Christmas is not ruined in the slightest.

expatinscotland Fri 23-Dec-16 12:52:25

Oh, yeah, that's your Xmas fucked then. Get a grip.

HolidaySpiritsReinbeerAndWhine Fri 23-Dec-16 12:52:50

I can't really add anything to what Helloitsme87 said, can't the present be from you and her dad? To be honest, if your 4 year old is such a chatterbox, she may spill before presents are opened anyway. It happens, not the end of the world.

So fed up of melodramatic 'MAGIC RUINED' over such trivial matters. There are kids that will wake up to nothing on Xmas day, I doubt your 2 year old will be repeating this to a therapist in a few years. Get a grip, stop letting Xmas get to you.

RebelRogue Fri 23-Dec-16 12:52:58

No xmas is not ruined. It's not even her present that she saw,that being said it was the box of a present not the actual thing. There's a billion things you can tell her that will make sense to a 4 yo.

When dd was 2 she was driving me mad in the run up to xmas,so i opened one of the prezzies and gave it to her that day. Put it back in the box at night,wrapped it and she got it again on xmas day. She had no recollection and xmas was deffo not ruined gringrin

MaverickSnoopy Fri 23-Dec-16 12:53:12

Well depending on whether you think she will remember you could go and see her and say sorry for shouting but that daddy had picked up a toy for another family for Christmas and you didn't want her to think it was for her.

We had this with a stocking present but she didn't know what it was and we managed to blag our way out of it.

DoloresTheRunawayTrain Fri 23-Dec-16 12:53:22

There's loads of ways to cover it. Santa dropped it round before wrapping so mum and dad could check it was on the list as kids wish lists can change all the time. This has to be done with all mums and dads as there are many kids with similar names and Santa won't have the time to check on Christmas Eve.

Asheth Fri 23-Dec-16 12:54:21

Don't worry! My DS1 aged four found the soft toy Mr Men I had bought for DS2's stocking. For weeks afterwards he was struck by the coincidence in Santa buying the same toys as me! fgrin

RJnomore1 Fri 23-Dec-16 12:54:23

Oh ffs has this place had a complete empathy bypass this year?

Op it will be ok. I promise. It's also fine to be upset but you need to distract distract distract now all you can. And preferably swap that box with something else then let the four year old out to see it.

At the very worst you go with the left early for Santa/ elf had popped round to see if it was the right gift. But don't say anything and distract and odds are the four year old will love right on.

DubiousCredentials Fri 23-Dec-16 12:55:08

Just say it is from you and dh rather than Santa.

wine will help with the stress.

JeanGenie23 Fri 23-Dec-16 12:55:51

Christmas is not ruined because your eldest daughter saw a box, take a deep breath and stop being so melodramatic

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now