Talk

Advanced search

Norovirus and Christmas visit

(23 Posts)
jasperthehamster Fri 23-Dec-16 12:13:38

So briefly , I have been struck down by Noro as of yesterday morning (1am). Was sick every hour yesterday as well as diarrhoea every time, and basically haven't eaten since Wednesday.
Feel grotty today as well as looking after 14mo DS and partner who also has Noro and is vomiting like there's no end.

My AIBU is, I was meant to be travelling to London on Xmas Eve (2.5 hours public transport ) to spend 3 days with my mum and extended family. My mum has a compromised immune system (high grade brain tumour ) due to her cancer , would I BU to go?
I'm happy enough to stay back home with partner (DS going to dad's for the 3 days) and my mum doesn't seem to
Mind too much either.

Thanks

YoHoHoandabottleofTequila Fri 23-Dec-16 12:16:14

No you can't go. Noro just spreads and your mum is at risk.

TheFlyingFauxPas Fri 23-Dec-16 12:16:25

Bloody hell do you really have to ask 😉 Stay home love x Feel better soon.

catsofa Fri 23-Dec-16 12:17:45

Do not go. Obviously.

OnlyAFoolsChance Fri 23-Dec-16 12:19:09

I think you know yourself it would be unfair to potentially pass this to your mum, especially with her compromised immune system.

Hope you are both better soon! x

Fireandflames666 Fri 23-Dec-16 12:19:26

Of course YABU!. For one you'd be potentially infected hundreds of people who use public transport thus running their christmas. Than two you'd be infecting your family and your already very poorly mother. Do the right thing by staying at home and keeping your germs to yourselves.

ChristmasZombie Fri 23-Dec-16 12:20:14

What a shame! I can sympathise as my two DDs and I have just gotten over a vomiting virus (don't think it was Noro, but something similar). Of course you can't go to your mum's. Can you rearrange the visit for next week, when you should be clear?

Mrstumbletap Fri 23-Dec-16 12:20:22

It's supposed to be 48 hours after last episode isn't it? But because of your mums immune system I would maybe do an extra day just to be sure. No point rushing up there and regretting it afterwards if she got really poorly.

jasperthehamster Fri 23-Dec-16 12:32:00

I think it's for the best.
She's only 1 hour away by car normally so we can visit her after Christmas. I would drive down on Boxing Day to London but have only recently passed my test so probably not a good idea!

harderandharder2breathe Fri 23-Dec-16 12:52:59

Of course you shouldn't go. Even if you aren't sick or diaorreah again from now, your 48 hours won't be up til midday Christmas Day, by which time you'll have potentially infected dozens of people on public transport plus your immune compromised mum.

Don't do it!

WaitroseCoffeeCostaCup Fri 23-Dec-16 13:06:58

Please don't go. We had this recently and it was just hell.

kerryob Fri 23-Dec-16 13:40:56

Don't go, my DH came down with it 24hrs after I was first sick, your mum will understand. Go and do a family meal with her after you are all well x

jasperthehamster Fri 23-Dec-16 13:47:55

DP's home is only 5 mins drive away if I need to get back to my own territory too

Rosa Fri 23-Dec-16 13:51:04

What have you started a second thread ?http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2809435-noro-rears-its-ugly-head-help

Branleuse Fri 23-Dec-16 14:04:50

you need to quarantine yourselves up till its definitely passed. Go to your mums for new years instead

DonutParade Fri 23-Dec-16 14:23:13

Christ almighty.

jasperthehamster Fri 23-Dec-16 14:56:57

I think that's the best decision. My mum is fine about it but her parents are very displeased about the whole situation. Hardly my fault or any one else's !

Wayfarersonbaby Fri 23-Dec-16 14:58:57

If your mum is immunocompromised you could put her in hospital with noro. Definitely don't go.

jasperthehamster Fri 23-Dec-16 15:13:36

Is it a 60 degree wash for infected clothes /bedding or higher ? Just giving everything a good going over

KurriKurri Fri 23-Dec-16 15:35:30

I was struck down with noro on tuesday night and I;ve cancelled my family visiting me on Christmas eve. I wouldn't risk giving it to anyone if I could avoid it.
I've also had cancer and been immunocompromised - I think noro would have been absolutely devastating had i been unlucky enough to catch it while having treatment.

I assume your DMum's parents are a) insane, b)never had noro c)both of those.

I am a day ahead of you with the noro and there is no way I would be able to travel 2.5 hours today - I can barely walk around still, I am so tired and achy. The sickness more or less stopped after 24 hours but the 'hit by a truck' feeling is definitely lingering. I;d save all your strength for looking after your little one in tandem with your partner so you can both get some rest. See your Mum when you are well.

jasperthehamster Fri 23-Dec-16 15:44:06

DS has just come back from his dad's for he night (so he can have important night out at pub with mates hmm) and has been quite sick today apparently. We all feel like we've been hit by a tonne of trucks !

KurriKurri Fri 23-Dec-16 15:51:02

It's horrendous isn't it ? - massive sympathies.

jasperthehamster Fri 23-Dec-16 15:52:03

I honestly haven't been this ill since I was 12/13 so a while ago. Feel that it's cemented our relationship though..(1 bathroom only here).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now