Talk

Advanced search

Running commentary on your shopping: would this have pissed you off?

(18 Posts)
unlessyousay Fri 23-Dec-16 10:31:44

A few days ago I gave a lift to another mum after nursery. On the way back, I asked if she minded if I nipped into Asda: she said this was fine.

I got cat food, which was on offer so I got a few boxes, a couple of bottles of Diet Coke and some alcohol for DH.

She kept going ON about it 'sure you've got enough cat food, sure you've got enough whisky, sure you've got enough Diet Coke.' It was like a looped commentary. Then at the till it transpired one of the bottles was leaking. Assistant very kindly went to get me another. The loop changed to 'trust you, only you, trust you, only you.'

So AIBU to think my shopping wasn't THAT remarkable and AIBU to think she was fucking annoying and never, ever give her a lift again?

ILoveAGoodBrusselSprout Fri 23-Dec-16 10:36:35

I've seen a thread like this before where the Op got flamed for daring to suggest the checkout assistant should remain mute at all times. I disagreed. Of course they can chat, be polite, interact, but this really p's me off!
A young woman in our local supermarket does this and it's so annoying. She comments on everything! We have older daughters and she has even commented on the amount of sanitary products I've bought!!
I wish they sold butt plugs just to see what she'd have to say about that one

ILoveAGoodBrusselSprout Fri 23-Dec-16 10:37:29

Oh I didn't read properly. Sorry. I see it was another mum, not the assistant blush

unlessyousay Fri 23-Dec-16 10:38:26

I'd have been seething, frothing, INCANDESCENT with rage had it been the assistant! fgrin

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 23-Dec-16 10:39:07

did she buy anything, or just trail around holding onto the trolley like an ver grown toddler??

Weird! ....never take her again.

GetTheeBehindMeSanta Fri 23-Dec-16 10:43:49

She sounds like one of those pains who have to fill silence with prattle because they feel awkward being quiet. You could just tell her straight to give it a rest for a minute, like you do with a young child who won't stop yapping.

Or don't give her a lift if you have to go in Asda.

DonutParade Fri 23-Dec-16 10:44:17

I find food shopping with someone I don't know very well incredibly awkward ( and dull ), there's an odd level of intimacy to it. I just don't comment at all, which is probably just as batshit as your crazy friend.

VladmirsPoutine Fri 23-Dec-16 10:46:55

Do you think she felt awkward and behaved like that as a result?

I think tagging along to anyone's shopping would be rather dull.

Iamhorrible Fri 23-Dec-16 10:46:59

Silence filler. Little to nothing in her head so has to walk about pointing out the obvious with what she sees as "banter" attached. Probably lives on Facebook.

DearMrDilkington Fri 23-Dec-16 10:49:49

That's really strange! You should have brought her a bag of haribos to keep her quiet.

unlessyousay Fri 23-Dec-16 10:52:29

She probably did feel awkward but she was making ME feel awkward! I actually wanted to get a bit more Diet Coke but didn't feel I could hmm I was less than ten minutes including the spill incident by the way!

Poole5 Fri 23-Dec-16 10:53:10

This is why I love self scan!!

PodgeBod Fri 23-Dec-16 10:53:15

Ah, you clearly took my sister shopping grin Yanbu

Spudlet Fri 23-Dec-16 11:15:01

She went round the shop with you?! That is bizarre. Was there not a cafe or something? Or she could have waited in the car?

unlessyousay Fri 23-Dec-16 11:17:47

She did pick up a couple of bits herself. I wish she had stayed in the car! fgrin

Bluntness100 Fri 23-Dec-16 11:25:18

I think you're being a bit grumpy if I'm honest. She clearly didn't mean any harm and was simply trying to make conversation. If you don't like her don't agree to give her a lift again, or drop her off then do your shopping and not expect her to tag along.

unlessyousay Fri 23-Dec-16 11:26:34

Yes, but if I'd dropped her off then done my shopping it would have been nursery, home, shops, home, whereas this way it was nursery, shops, home smile

I probably shouldn't have given her a lift but she wrong footed me and I thought it was the season of goodwill and all grin

VladmirsPoutine Fri 23-Dec-16 12:16:06

I don't think you are being grumpy. Tbh I'd hate anyone to comment on my shopping - I have a colleague that comments on EVERY.SINGLE.LUNCH.ITEM.I.EAT. It drives me up the wall. That said, I think it was most likely a very awkward situation for the both of you. She must have just expected to make causal conversation on the drive home and you threw her plans off piste by going shopping.

You did a good thing by offering to give her a lift. Once you announced that you wanted to do a bit of shopping you put both of you in this situation. I'm not an awkward person in the slightest and would have used the opportunity to grab a few bits and carry on chatting to you.

Merry Xmas! fwink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now