Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To believe that threads on Mn which end up in the papers have probably been started by journalists.

(15 Posts)
goadyfuckersgetmygoat Fri 23-Dec-16 10:27:09

If not then someone close to them.
If that is true how do you trust posters?
I believe evil is walking and eating among us, feeding us too.

Quaggan Fri 23-Dec-16 10:31:56

I believe evil is walking and eating among us, feeding us too.

Tad dramatic! grin

PhilODox Fri 23-Dec-16 10:35:00

Well, duh!

0nline Fri 23-Dec-16 10:35:36

That's probably too much effort when they are looking for cheap and cheerful click bait fodder to keep the front page looking updated with "new stuff".

Much easier to just scan forums and grab something that can be quickly and almost effortlessly whacked together in an "article" with a grabby title.

I do think there is a possibility that some people rather fancy the idea of "being in the papers" and overegg their thread's title and first post content in order to get noticed by lurking jounos. Ditto some of the people replying to a thread, who quite fancy seeing their username in (digital) print.

HolidaySpiritsReinbeerAndWhine Fri 23-Dec-16 10:38:28

If a thread seems very DailyFaily ready, I advance search the OP. No history is usually indicative of being a goady git. Or I will make a deliberate point of mentioning journos in my reply (at least to stop them quoting me again). I do believe some are real and are just unlucky enough to be high jacked by lazy 'journalists'.

whataspectacle Fri 23-Dec-16 10:42:09

I have had one of my threads lifted and put in the Daily Fail. Felt absolutely violated as I had started a thread here to get some perspective on a sensitive subject. I can assure you that I am not a journalist and it has definitely made me think twice about posting anything too personal on her again

Fallonjamie Fri 23-Dec-16 10:43:44

Evil?

RuggerHug Fri 23-Dec-16 10:44:38

They walk among us like regular people, on their hind legs, hiding their hats with a bit of paper in them that say 'press'. Going on the people who choose to go to the daily mail with stories you think they would have enough willing idiots participants to use.

goadyfuckersgetmygoat Fri 23-Dec-16 10:45:46

Quaggan no it's not. We haven't gone as afar as lynching . That would be too dramatic. grin
The thread that made me post this is not in the DM?
What I think is they already have articles in mind but probably it's not grabby enough. They post a bate on Mn and to fish out our feelings to sell to the world as gospel.

liz70 Fri 23-Dec-16 10:48:19

Like others I have had a thread poached by the DM. If I am a journalist then I would like some payment. hmm

bigmouthstrikesagain Fri 23-Dec-16 10:59:37

I have no way of verifying the truth of any post, as the anonymity of mn is a big part of its appeal. So maybe every thread is started by an evil journalist. I don't really care, sorry. It is a public forum, you don't have to join to view threads, mn is merrily filling my fb feed with clickbait so if daily fail wants to fill its boots then it has no barriers to doing so. The 'truth' of any post is subjective as we very rarely get both sides of a story. I respond with my own subjective viewpoints.

It is the young people trying to make viable careers as journalists I feel sorry for as it is becoming impossible to earn a living as no one pays for their news anymore. Then we complain when newspapers and their websites are full of regurgitated crap and sensationalism.

lilyb84 Fri 23-Dec-16 11:08:35

I've read a lot on here about the daily fail and honestly thought it was exaggeration. Just did a quick search and fuck me, they really do scrape the barrel don't they? Can't imagine how miserable I'd be as a journalist if that's what I was calling 'work'.

Also a bit shocked to see I was quoted in an article. It's now hit home that I need to be careful with revealing details...!

lilyb84 Fri 23-Dec-16 11:10:43

Oh, to answer the aibu - it seems a lot of effort to actually be starting the threads but equally I wouldn't put it past them. Since it seems anything can be lifted for a story I don't think it makes much difference though. Who knows anyone's reasons for posting?

amispartacus Fri 23-Dec-16 11:14:10

Journalists have created stories and then written about the reaction to the story they created.

The DM are particularly good at that.

I wouldn't put it past them. There's a lot of webspace to fill and click to get.It's all about the clicks.

PhilODox Fri 23-Dec-16 11:59:55

liz70 You are Liz Jones, and I claim my £5!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now