Talk

Advanced search

Flatshare cleaning rota aibu

(7 Posts)
SaltySeaDogs Fri 23-Dec-16 10:17:05

Recently implemented a rota for my fkatshsre as nothing ever got done. This was after much discussion with everyone re fairest way of doing things. It was decided to do a week per person on the main tasks e.g. cleaning and vaccuuming, tidying surfaces. My week and other flatmates week was fine and we did loads despite being busy. Two more weeks have gone by though and the other two have barely done anything - now it's rolled back round to my week but I don't want to be only one doing massive cleans once a month!!! The whole point of doing this was so it spread out the task. What can/should I say?

OwlinaTree Fri 23-Dec-16 10:23:17

Could you have a list of jobs they have to actually tick when they've done the job? Then it doesn't move to the next person till they've done the job?

Alternatively, choose a job/room each to clean each week. Then you can get on with yours.

Sympathies, these problems are familiar to anyone who had ever shared I expect!

sarahd100 Fri 23-Dec-16 10:29:49

Urgh, I feel your pain. I lived in houseshares for 8 years and had a number of incredibly lazy and disgusting housemates.

If I were you I'd just speak to them and say 'it's my turn to clean this week, but I don't think your share was done last week or the week before so can we switch? I'll pick up again next week!'

Or even say can we share the responsibility this week? They probably just need a bit of time to get into the swing of a rota if they're not used to cleaning!

SaltySeaDogs Fri 23-Dec-16 10:31:32

We do have a list of jobs... I've tried to make it as nice as possible without being really anal about it..

LaurieMarlow Fri 23-Dec-16 10:36:08

Is getting a cleaner an option? Because that's often the only sure fire way to end resentment.

Ultimately, people have different standards of cleanliness and the burden always falls on the most particular.

Spam88 Fri 23-Dec-16 10:39:25

Oh I so don't miss house shares grin Definitely talk to them about it. Would it be worth revisiting whether that's still the best way to do the rota, or whether it'd be better to all have a smaller job every week? They may well have agreed to the first option because it meant them not doing anything for a fortnight...

YelloDraw Fri 23-Dec-16 11:38:24

How much actually needs to be done?

Are people cleaning up after themselves e.g. Wiping down surfaces after cooking, wiping shower after use? If not, then it's pretty hard to do a cleaning rota.

Can you club together and pay for a cleaner to do 2h a week - would be able to do kitchens bathroom and common areas well in that time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: