Talk

Advanced search

To hope that zoflora is my last chance in a losing battle against cat poo?

(43 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Fri 23-Dec-16 09:35:27

We have tried everything. And I mean everything. Tiger poo, plastic water bottles, water guns, scattering various substances, infrared motion sensor, the list is endless.

We even tried digging up the grassy bit at the front and laying a hardcore surface but now they just poo on that instead. Problem is our house was vacant for a few years before we moved in and all the neighbourhood cats decided it was their toilet.

I've heard zoflora mentioned a lot on mn and recently someone posted about it keeping cats from pooing in the garden. So I've bought a box. No idea what to do with it though. Please share your wisdom!

Seriously, I used to be a cat lover but this has absolutely ruined my view of them sad

HoHoHammered Fri 23-Dec-16 09:36:06

No!!! It's toxic to wildlife and can make the cat very poorly if not kill them

Laiste Fri 23-Dec-16 09:37:30

When you say 'hardcore surface' do you mean gravel/pebbles?

Laiste Fri 23-Dec-16 09:38:22

Because if so that is even more attractive to cats for pooing in than grass! It's just like a big litter tray!

GeillisTheWitch Fri 23-Dec-16 09:39:42

If you like cats would you consider getting one of your own, preferably an adult male, and it will hopefully defend it's territory against all other cats?

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Fri 23-Dec-16 09:40:19

I passed a house with a Mosquito type device in their garden. Whether it was for dogs, cats or children I don't know. All I know is that at the age of 35 I wanted to go in there and rip it out - it went right through me.

However, would something like that do the trick?

Is it gravel you've put down? My cat thinks that's litter for her to use. Same for wood chippings. Cats don't tend to poo on open tarmac or concrete - they usually like to be tucked away.

HughLauriesStubble Fri 23-Dec-16 09:42:42

hoho the box I have says safe to use on animal bedding so I thought it would have been non toxic?

The hardcore is compacted, sort of like tarmacadam so smooth and not gravelly. They just come along plain as day and do a crouching shit in the wide open on a flat surface while giving the kids the evils through the window I've never seen anything like it shock

Getting a cat is out of the option, the thought of having one now makes my skin crawl, which is a terrible pity sad

jazzandh Fri 23-Dec-16 09:43:39

Jeyes fluid well diluted and watered onto the surface ? Will smell very strong for a bit but should put them off. Will also disinfect and kill any other odours.....

HughLauriesStubble Fri 23-Dec-16 09:43:55

vivienne that's the device we had, it emitted a frequency when it detected motion. Didn't work. One particular offender would sit right in front of it while he squatted.

HughLauriesStubble Fri 23-Dec-16 09:45:51

Haven't tried jeyes fluid but did try a few different citrussy cleaners diluted and they worked to a certain extent and reduced the amount of poo but didn't stop it completely. I'd be worried about making it too strong and hurting the filthy little buggers.

DJBaggySmalls Fri 23-Dec-16 09:46:19

Cats loathe the smell of clove oil, orange oil, TCP and Jeyes Fluid. They wont even step foot onto the area if you sprinkle those around. Problem is, you have to smell them as well.

BarbaraofSeville Fri 23-Dec-16 09:46:30

Yup, if you poison all the cats they won't be shitting in your garden hmm.

Disinfectant is poisonous to cats. It does say on Zoflora it is safe to use if diluted and dries before the cat comes into contact with it, but I wouldn't take the risk.

Laiste Fri 23-Dec-16 09:49:48

There's a lot of controversy about Jeyes fluid. It has a chemical which can be poisonous if the animal licks it and it can apparently be absorbed through the paws.

However, much of the advice not to use it is aimed at it's use in places where an animal is forced to be everyday, IYSWIM? Like it's kennel, or it's run. I think if you sprayed well diluted JF on your 'patch' the smell would put the cats off coming near and no harm would come to them.

You could try just a cap full in a bucket and work from there? It is very strong smelling.

Laiste Fri 23-Dec-16 09:50:55

Cap full in a bucket of water i should have said! hmm

HoHoHammered Fri 23-Dec-16 09:52:20

It's only safe on animal bedding if it's diluted first and then fully dry before an animal uses the bed.

Can't even let my cat walk over it whilst I'm washing the kitchen floors

If she gets it on her paws and then licks it, it will make her poorly. Even diluted. She has to be shut out until it dries

NothingMoreThanFelines Fri 23-Dec-16 09:53:32

Getting your own cat is not the answer. Ours craps all over our lawn with the gay unconcern of someone relaxing on his own loo.

DubiousCredentials Fri 23-Dec-16 09:55:09

I had a similar problem with my front door step area a few years ago. The thing that finally stopped it was mopping with a very dilute bleach solution. Although it was in the summer so it dried very quickly, not sure if it'd be good to have it staying wet if they are walking about in it.

HughLauriesStubble Fri 23-Dec-16 09:56:28

I've tried the essential oil route but that didn't work either sad Obviously I don't want to harm any cats or other animals so was hoping that the smell of the zoflora would be enough to put them off coming into the garden in the first place.

I'm at the end of my tether with it at this stage, I could get over it if it were just one cat but it's 5 or 6 daily and some of them are very brazen and won't even be hunted mid poo, they just stare me down while I spray them with water hmm

Laiste Fri 23-Dec-16 09:56:58

Really? confused I've been using well diluted Zoflora on my kitchen floors for 25 years and been a cat owner all that time too. Cats never got ill. My first 2 cats lived to 17 and 20 years, and my current 2 are 7 yrs old.

Laiste Fri 23-Dec-16 09:57:19

That was to HoHo by the way.

DubiousCredentials Fri 23-Dec-16 09:59:32

It does say clearly on the box that it is harmful to cats.

Lazyafternoon Fri 23-Dec-16 10:02:08

We had a massive problem with all the local cats using our garden as a toilet when we first moved in as well. Tried a sorts. The only thing that worked was getting cats of our own grin
No cat poo now. Although I do feel sorry for whoevers garden all the cats (and now also ours) use now!

HoHoHammered Fri 23-Dec-16 10:03:50

I'm just going by the box Laiste

But my cat does seem to be the special sort of stupid who follows me around with the bottle and tries to lick it so I'm a bit more cautious with it hmm

BarbaraofSeville Fri 23-Dec-16 10:05:38

5 or 6 cats all targetting your garden for their daily shits does sound unusual hopes you don't live near me I have 6 cats and don't know where they shit but that could be the contrary nature of cats for you. And also that they like routine.

They know that it distresses you so that is why they do it smile. Could you target them with a hose pipe, really drench them?

Tarrarra Fri 23-Dec-16 10:09:13

Have you tried olbas oil on an old tea bag? Worked for me. You need to refresh it every couple of weeks bit it does the job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now