Talk

Advanced search

To be absolutely fed up of people winging on about taxes?

(62 Posts)
malificent7 Thu 22-Dec-16 23:03:00

Winge winge winge.
Where does my tax go? ... schools, roads, hospitals, welfare.
It is winging on about welfare that gets my goat. Most of us parents claim child benefit, many claim child tax crdfits and working tax crefits.
Many if us might find ourselves unemployed. Dd

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Thu 22-Dec-16 23:04:19

Who is whinging about taxes? confused

malificent7 Thu 22-Dec-16 23:04:43

Sorry didnt finish... bloody phone.

What annoys me are the people who want to account for every penny... they fret that the poor are using their cash to buy drugs etc.... grrrrrr.

Arfarfanarf Thu 22-Dec-16 23:05:32

Most people who whinge about My Taxes dont even cover their own expenses - tax credits, nhs, education, bin collections, police, road maintenance... (huge list) let alone pay towards anyone else.

MrTumblesbitch Thu 22-Dec-16 23:05:40

You need to change your social group! None of my lot whinge on about it confused

LeadPipe Thu 22-Dec-16 23:06:07

What?

TheoriginalLEM Thu 22-Dec-16 23:14:11

I work 40 hours over 4 days on a pretty shit hourly rate. Damn straight i want to know why i effectively work a whole day each week for fuck all. I pay council tax for local amenities and services, i pay nationsl insurance for health care and i assume benefits.

I don't have an issue with benefits, ive had tax credits for years but no longer entitled and they are there for a reason.

What a absolutely fucking grinds my gears is paying for us to join in wars where we have no place to, to not join wars when we should and moats for ducks!!

harderandharder2breathe Thu 22-Dec-16 23:14:23

I only see wingers on MN tbh

I don't get cash benefits but was educated to degree level without fees (fees were waived for students from low income families at the time), and have been being treated for MH issues and asthma for a decade, plus of course having my rubbish collected, voted, lived in a country where the police can enforce laws.

Most of my friends and family don't earn enough to be net contributors. And they all work, just not in the top whatever percent that actually do pay in more than they take out

sparechange Thu 22-Dec-16 23:17:38

Until you're earning over circa £34k, you aren't usually a net contributor
I think this needs to be made more widely known
A lot of people whinging about 'their taxes' are being subsided but don't know it

icy121 Thu 22-Dec-16 23:29:08

As a household we contribute nearly £200k a year in tax. Both do good jobs and are (very) well paid. The top 1% of taxpayers pay nearly 30% of all income tax. I will never get back from the state what I put in, because thanks to being able to afford to put it all in, I qualify for fuck all assistance. Also my job is one that covers BUPA in the package so I'm a net contibuter and then some. I don't really whine about "where it all goes" TBH. Just a cost of being financially successful I suppose.

Candlestickchick Thu 22-Dec-16 23:31:35

People are working for the state to spend their money. I totally support taxation and spending, but that is ultimately what it is so people are entitled to scrutinise what it is spent on.

malificent7 Fri 23-Dec-16 00:57:16

What do you do icy? ( Im looking for a career change )

Hellmouth Fri 23-Dec-16 01:09:55

I whinge about my taxes, and I really don't care if people think it's in poor taste. A quarter of my wages go thanks to Tax and NI (and NI really is just another tax, they should rename it). I am not a high earner at all (£25k in SE). When you're struggling, and there's no way you can cut back, my payslip does tend to piss me off.

7Days Fri 23-Dec-16 01:15:02

The fact that the top 1% pays 30% worth of taxes just goes to show the vast gulf between earnings. Obscene, really

icy121 Fri 23-Dec-16 21:02:37

Malificent - commercial property. Do an RICS-accredited MSc and then look to get a job at one of the big real estate advisory firms (cbre, jll etc) ideally in an office investment capacity if you want to follow the money! Taken me 10 years but approaching 6 figures now.

If you're in the regions it won't be same earnings but still very, very decent.

cherrycrumblecustard Fri 23-Dec-16 21:05:20

I think there is a huge difference in expressing concern re government choices (some of which I strongly disagree with) and where tax money is spent and attacking individuals for claiming benefits they are entitled to.

I don't necessarily agree with all the benefits but obviously, if people are entitled, they should claim them.

Loopytiles Fri 23-Dec-16 21:07:13

Talking about how public money is spent is alright, I suppose, if everyone involved in the conversation likes discussing politics, but IME people who blether on about politics in general company are boorish.

user1471448556 Fri 23-Dec-16 21:13:45

Our household pays a lot of tax. Generally I'm fine with that and would in fact be happy to pay more if that would enable us to have a Scandinavian type society where everything works, education is excellent for all, etc. What I do resent is that so much of my tax is now being spent on 'Brexit' - the expensive constitutional lawyers, the three Brexiteers, the Nissan deal, the government's representation in court. And it will get worse. Paying for something I am strongly opposed to and which strips me of rights and opportunities makes me angry.

Batfurger Fri 23-Dec-16 21:41:49

icy how can you contribute £200k I feel you're only approaching six figures?

I've been taking six figures for several years now and at most have paid about 60k in tax when I got a bonus. Even if my DP earnt the same as me, we'd be significantly short.

Pineapplemilkshake Fri 23-Dec-16 21:46:56

I don't know anyone who whinges about taxes and most of my friends and family are high earners. The change to child benefit a few years ago did irritate me though, very unfair to single parents who earn just over the threshold. But that's a different matter.

icy121 Fri 23-Dec-16 21:58:31

batfurger - I said our household does around 200k. i earn nearly 6 figures, plus my buy to let income will mean a tax bill of around 49k; OH earns significantly more and is taxed on his pension savings as well now. Actually including his pension saving tax we're probably well over 200k. Such is life.

icy121 Fri 23-Dec-16 22:01:06

*40k for me not 49 - typo.

Batfurger Fri 23-Dec-16 22:03:45

Ah, coat tails. Got it. wink

icy121 Fri 23-Dec-16 22:08:31

Actually thinking about it he might have come out of his pension scheme now as tax made it pointless. sorry - I've derailed thread. My point was we as a v. high net contributing household spend pretty much zero time whinging about how tax is spent, and most other higher earners I know also never bring it up as a topic. Maybe we just don't see the spending in action.... I suppose if we needed healthcare it's work-BUPA (or self funded fertility treatment this year), opting for private education and so on, so we aren't faced with being let down by poor expenditure choices. I don't know.

YelloDraw Fri 23-Dec-16 22:10:42

Most people who whinge about My Taxes dont even cover their own expenses

Most parents of school age children are not net contributors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now