Talk

Advanced search

On the theme of boxes....

(8 Posts)
Cherrysoup Thu 22-Dec-16 22:50:08

My mum always says that a present will be 'part of your Christmas box'. I don't think she ever got her presents put together in a box. She's northern: is it a northern expression? I've never heard anyone else use it, either up north or down south. Does anyone else say it? It's not recent, she's always said it.

user1477282676 Thu 22-Dec-16 22:50:47

I'm a Northerner and it was always said by neighbours etc.

PiggyPlumPie Thu 22-Dec-16 22:52:27

I heard it for the first time in Norfolk nearly 20 years ago. Not phrase I'd heard in the East Midlands.

DarkDarkNight Thu 22-Dec-16 22:53:26

Northern here, my older relatives would say Christmas Box to mean present. Nothing to do with putting things in a box I don't think.

BewtySkoolDropowt Thu 22-Dec-16 23:00:04

Much further north here (very north Scotland) and my family say it - but I don't know if it is common here or if it is due to my mum staying in the north of England for a few years a long time ago.

fredabear Thu 22-Dec-16 23:02:21

Christmas box was traditionally from master to servant day after Christmas hence Boxing Day

previously1474907171 Thu 22-Dec-16 23:03:53

My Grandmother used to say it, she was from Sussex but it wasn't a regional thing.

She was from the Victorian era which is when giving a box of gifts started for New Year. it then became a Christmas tradition for the working class to collect a box of gifts given by the richer people.

Izzy82 Thu 22-Dec-16 23:28:45

My Nan says it. She's from Yorkshire

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now