Talk

Advanced search

To ask if anyone has done an advent box?

(11 Posts)
Macsmurray Thu 22-Dec-16 22:31:34

This year we deicided to put two things in a box each day(one each for every day) to donate to a local food bank and hand in on Christmas Eve. Time to give a little. Anyone else done so?

PickAChew Thu 22-Dec-16 22:35:32

DS1's school did the reverse advent calendar thing, this year. He really enjoyed choosing stuff for it and was amazingly thoughtful and had obviously taken note of what sort of things are useful from the announcement at school and previous collections we'd done elsewhere. He particularly understood about some people not having the means of cooking even vaguely complicated stuff, so picked out things like instant custard and instant mash - I dissuaded him from tinned prunes, mind!

chocolatespiders Thu 22-Dec-16 22:35:39

I have not but myself and a few others made 29 superb stocked hampers which we gave to familes attending a local school suffering severe poverty.

Love your idea though.

mamaduckbone Thu 22-Dec-16 22:35:48

No, but the Dcs' school did a 'reverse advent calendar' where each class collected food in a hamper for local elderly people and we contributed to that. I thought it was a really good idea.

chocolatespiders Thu 22-Dec-16 22:36:16

Please check yours is open on Christmas eve - ours is not.

Macsmurray Thu 22-Dec-16 22:37:21

Ours is open then, sorry, I didn't think of that 😬

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Thu 22-Dec-16 22:38:10

Not the same exactly but we did a bag of mince pies etc for the FB each of the first two weekends of December (that's their cutoff for Christmas donations).

playmobilpeacock Thu 22-Dec-16 22:38:39

Yes we did and I'm dropping it off tomorrow.

My DC have enjoyed it more than opening their own advent calendars. Next year we'll definitely do it again.

Although I live in vain hope it won't be needed...

Astro55 Thu 22-Dec-16 22:40:38

Sad that this is a necessity at all in this country - we should put more effort into ending poverty rather than feeding into it -

MrsFionaCharming Thu 22-Dec-16 22:48:59

Although the food bank might be open to give food out, they are unlikely not have enough volunteers available on Christmas Eve to weigh/date/sort the donations - meaning any Christmas foods might not be given out until the new year.

Of course, you could offer to stay and weigh and date it too, which would be much appreciated and surprisingly enjoyable for children!

SlipperyJack Thu 22-Dec-16 22:52:06

Yes - delivered ours to the foodbank the day before yesterday so that they'd have time to deal with it. Put in the full 24 items though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now