Talk

Advanced search

My daughter wants short hair

(136 Posts)
Nameforsaken Thu 22-Dec-16 18:46:16

My dd is 3. She's never had her hair cut and it's diwn to her bum. Although I love it, it is difficult to manage as she hates me brushing it. I manage once every few days if I'm lucky.

She's going for her 1st haircut tomorrow and is adamant she wants it short. Now I'm happy going ahead with this, but what do you think of a pixie cut on a pre schooler?

RoganJosh Thu 22-Dec-16 18:46:52

I'd probably go for a bob?

MrsMeeseeks Thu 22-Dec-16 18:47:50

Yes, whyever not?

Clayhead Thu 22-Dec-16 18:47:52

My dad variously had a bob and a layered short cut at that age and through the infants - it was lovely smile

AppleAndBlackberry Thu 22-Dec-16 18:48:33

My DD has a short bob, it's very manageable and you don't have to get it recut every couple of weeks like you might with a pixie cut.

StealthPolarBear Thu 22-Dec-16 18:48:40

Far too sophisticated. She should have a bowl cut bob as we all did in the early 80s.

GreatFuckability Thu 22-Dec-16 18:48:47

I think its hair. It grows back. If she wants it pixie, then get it pixie.

Yoarchie Thu 22-Dec-16 18:49:00

Why would you care what anyone thinks? Get her hair cut how you and she want.

ineedamoreadultieradult Thu 22-Dec-16 18:49:01

Agree to doing it in stages, if she has the bob and still wants it shorter go to shorter style then. I went to bump length hair to a pixie aged 28 and that was a very big decision I think a 3 year old might not understand the full ramifications of her decision and the length of time it takes to grow out a pixie.

Mrsemcgregor Thu 22-Dec-16 18:49:07

It's hair, it grows back and I am sure she will look cute.

Be prepared for people to assume she is a boy though, my 4yo DS likes his hair a bit longer (just below his ears) and is frequently mistaken for a girl no matter how gender specific his clothes are.

ineedamoreadultieradult Thu 22-Dec-16 18:49:48

Bum not bump!

KayTee87 Thu 22-Dec-16 18:50:35

I don't think it matters really - a pixie cut will require more upkeep than a bob though

longdiling Thu 22-Dec-16 18:50:35

I would be so jealous of you! I have one daughter with bum length hair and one who's growing it out of the lovely little bob I favoured when she was little and let me choose. It's a ball ache looking after long hair.

lovelearning Thu 22-Dec-16 18:51:48

she hates me brushing it

A pixie cut would be ideal.

smile

birdybirdywoofwoof Thu 22-Dec-16 18:52:52

Cute. What other thoughts are there likely to be?

YetAnotherUser Thu 22-Dec-16 18:53:17

#1 all over, easy to do yourself at home.

statetrooperstacey Thu 22-Dec-16 18:53:23

I has my daughters hair cut short about the same age, absolutely lovely initially, but like any short hair it rapidly grew out and looked really scruffy, also Bed hair on a toddler is really hard to sort out. If you don't mind regular hairdresser trips to keep it tidy and don't mind horrible sticking up bed hair ( does she have any cowlicks ? Beware the cowlicks
!) then go for it otherwise I'm with pp and say a short bob . It's still short!

SittingDrinkingTea Thu 22-Dec-16 18:53:31

I'd go for a bob just because the maintenance on a pixi e cut is a pita. Bobs look absolutely gorgeous on little girls too.

MrsMeeseeks Thu 22-Dec-16 18:54:23

So your daughter wants short hair, you are happy for her to have short hair, but you thought you'd check that it's OK with Mumsnet first?

Sorry if that sounds rude, I'm genuinely baffled!

longdiling Thu 22-Dec-16 18:57:06

I'm not remotely baffled. You really don't see many girls with short hair these days. When I was a kid Diana had made short hair fashionable and plenty of girls had their hair cut short. I can't think of one girl in my kids entire primary school with short hair.

Nameforsaken Thu 22-Dec-16 18:58:33

You joke yetanother but she really wants it shorter than daddy's and he has his at around a number 3!

Puzzledbubbles Thu 22-Dec-16 19:00:15

My DD 5 wanted short hair when she was 3 1/2, we had it cut to a bob and she loved it, next hair cut she wanted it the same, now she wants it long again.

We chose to let her make the call, she still looks cute if you ask me and she is happy with it smile

Nameforsaken Thu 22-Dec-16 19:01:04

Baffle away, but as long says. It's quite unusual to see pixie cut on young girls so thought I'd ask opinions from those experienced with girl's hair.

I'm traatised by the 80'd bob and big fringe I had as a child, which is why I thought pixie. But yes, never thought of the upkeep!

SpeakNoWords Thu 22-Dec-16 19:01:32

I'd get it cut how she wants (as long as it still conforms to the school rules about hair). It's her hair after all, and if she doesn't like it, it will grow again.

aquashiv Thu 22-Dec-16 19:01:51

Our dd had a lovely sort of longer over one side pixie cut..she looked amazing.no brushing .it was like that for a few years. She hated bobs. Some hair dressers refused to cut her long blonde hair ssuing it was wrong🤔. Let her do it. Why not?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now