Talk

Advanced search

what happened to common sense ?

(18 Posts)
pipsqueak25 Thu 22-Dec-16 16:56:27

why does it take a recent university study to tell people that they are more likely to be envious or get depressed if they look at 'perfect lives / people' on social media ? this is one of many studies where the research results are so bloody obvious for someone with half a brain cell.
some time ago asda spent several million [??] on working out how to stop the first few sheets of loo roll from tearing ...er...use less glue ?? thank you for that answer from the 6yo in the front row.
i'm probably bu, but money seems to be thrown at research on the most stupidest of things sometimes, is it me just getting older and grouchy ? grin, just ranting abit. feel loads better now smile

luckylucky24 Thu 22-Dec-16 16:59:24

Common sense is so out of fashion...

pipsqueak25 Thu 22-Dec-16 17:02:26

yep, lucky it must be a new trend to be a bit dim, luckily most mners seem to have good thinking abilities, where would we be with out them in our hour of need / upset / parking problems mners we love you !

katiegoestoaldi Thu 22-Dec-16 17:03:20

I get depressed going on social media and seeing reports of people dying or otherwise suffering due to denial of disability benefits or benefit sanctions, or seeing reports of how many homeless children there are going to be this Christmas

whyohwhy000 Thu 22-Dec-16 17:03:21

It seems that people need to be told when to do what and when not to do something.

NHS trusts have spent loads on advertising campaigns telling people when to go to A&E. You'd have thought that people would know to take their child with a broken spine to A&E instead of giving them calpol.

(extreme example)

The80sweregreat Thu 22-Dec-16 17:11:26

It has got worse and social media has fuelled a lot of unhappiness. I;m lucky to be older than a lot of my friends on facebook so I do not care how many parties, gatherings or nights out they are having. A lot of it is very false and I am sure much of it isn't really as enjoyed as you might think. People like you to think they are having a wonderful life, most of the time they are not sadly.
AS for studies, there is one every week - I listen to the radio a fair amount and there is always something that makes me think duh, how much was paid for that survey or study? Who was asked, they never seem to ask me anything! Everything has become a 'thing' , I choose to ignore or not join in - best way sometimes. ( But I am a cynic)

TheNaze73 Thu 22-Dec-16 17:16:45

I think people who take social media to heart need a quiet word with themselves.

The best nights out tend to ge the ones where there are no pictures. The staged ones with loads of pictures, make me think attention seeking wanker.

You're neither old, nor grouchy. fwink

pipsqueak25 Thu 22-Dec-16 17:18:12

i like to think that most people who go to /have been to uni are intelligent, it doesn't say much if this is the sort of thing they are having to research, it's a bit insulting imo, most people will never go to uni but then they don't need someone with a phd to tell them how to blow their nose [ie].
80's you are probably bang on the money with that one. the research suggests taking a weeks break if you are depressed as a result, wtf ??

pipsqueak25 Thu 22-Dec-16 17:21:35

naze big hug, thanks for that, decent of you to say so !

JellyMouldJnr Thu 22-Dec-16 17:22:32

Speaking as a researcher, generally what happens is that the study is actually much more complex than the papers report, but the press want you to describe it in a sentence, which often comes out as seeming bloody obvious.

RebelRogue Thu 22-Dec-16 17:46:01

Because people are stupid. The end.

The80sweregreat Thu 22-Dec-16 17:50:14

thank you for agreeing with me!! I suppose I just know too many people going through an 'older mid life' crisis and trying to become teenagers again, but really its all just angst or gone a bit 'pear shaped'! I can see why it happens, but all this going out all the time and pretending to be having fun doesn't wash with me , especially when I know how unhappy they really are ( in a few cases) I know I sound judgy but I can do this on here and I would never say anything to them in real life (not my business really, best to stay out of it)
Jelly, must be frustrating when a lot of time and effort has gone into detailed relevant research, yet the media need to just have 'soundbites' to make it to the news! I can see how that happens too!!

YouTheCat Thu 22-Dec-16 17:59:51

We no longer need common sense since they put warnings on everything.

I think they should take them off again and let the species evolve naturally. grin

RebelRogue Thu 22-Dec-16 18:11:56

YoutheCat I think i love u grin

Deadsouls Thu 22-Dec-16 18:14:51

I suppose because if there is no qualitative or quantitative reasearch to back up a claim, it just remains a hypothesis.

CommonSenseIsNotAllThatCommon Thu 22-Dec-16 18:17:07

I'm here fgrin

It's all fake it til you make it.

mirren3 Thu 22-Dec-16 18:19:02

I like to say common sense isn't very common any more.

BadKnee Thu 22-Dec-16 20:24:18

We no longer need common sense since they put warnings on everything

I think they should take them off again and let the species evolve naturally

Ha ha !! Quite right YoutheCat

Research though - it is true that the actual study is usually far more complex than is reported.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now