Talk

Advanced search

To think that you have to open Secret Santa presents when you get them?

(24 Posts)
IToldYouIWasFreaky Thu 22-Dec-16 14:27:29

Our little team at work (6 people) is doing a Secret Santa...names drawn a few weeks ago, limit of £5 set. All very good natured and nice so far.

However, we're supposed to be exchanging today and one person has just announced "oh, I won't be opening mine today. I'm going to keep it until Christmas Day. And X and Y are doing the same too" fshock

AIBU to think that this is just not how you do things? Secret Santa gifts are supposed to be opened when you get them, right? Part of the fun is seeing who gets what and trying to guess your Santa etc. It loses so much if you keep it until Christmas Day sad

dollydaydream114 Thu 22-Dec-16 14:35:27

I absolutely hate Secret Santa myself, but yes, I thought the whole point was that you open them when you get them. I am usually quite firm on not opening things until Christmas, but even I would make an exception for Secret Santa gifts and take part in the slightly awkward little office gift opening ceremony.

Particularly if it's a gift with a budget of a fiver - they're just little token gestures, aren't they? Not something you'd place under the tree with a huge sense of anticipation for Christmas morning, and equally not something you'd be too worried about being disappointed by in front of your colleagues.

user1477282676 Thu 22-Dec-16 14:37:44

Well some people don't have anything at all to open on Christmas day. So YABU.

I don't have anything this year. I would probably want to save mine....though I'd maybe feel a tad uncomfortable if we were all sitting together at the handing over of the gifts at work.

But basically you should perhaps consider this is all they're getting.

IToldYouIWasFreaky Thu 22-Dec-16 14:56:03

No, I know all the people quite well and know they are all having big family Christmasses so definitely not the only gift they will be receiving.

Sorry to hear that this is not the case for you though user

user1477282676 Thu 22-Dec-16 14:59:32

It doesn't actually bother me. My Mum gave me money...and I had it a while ago. My DH and I don't bother unless we're flush...the DC might get me a little something I suppose.

It does make me a bit peeved on here when I see so many posts about how people aren't happy with what they've got though.

IToldYouIWasFreaky Thu 22-Dec-16 15:05:59

I'm not unhappy! I know I am lucky to have a nice, friendly bunch at work that are even willing to exchange gifts.

It was supposed to be a more lightheared "FFS, this is not the way things work, right?!" type of thread. Sorry if it didn't come across like that.

Sparlklesilverglitter Thu 22-Dec-16 15:07:50

I some times open mine. Some times I take it home for Christmas Day.

The baby group I go to done a secret Santa for the babies (all under 1) £10 limit and we swapped gifts yesterday and nobody opened when we were together saved for Christmas Day.

EatTheCake Thu 22-Dec-16 15:09:45

At my work all the gifts go on the staff room table and we collect ours at the end of the day and take it home with us on our last day at work before the Christmas break. I open mine Christmas Day.

This yea the limit was £25 and I by the smell on the package have some sort of coffee gift, smells lush I'm looking forward to opening it

onlyconnect Thu 22-Dec-16 15:10:32

I have to say I kept mine to open on Christmas Day this year but I always open if someone mentions it or tells me to. I think the idea is to open them on the day but I prefer to wait if I can get away with it.

aforestgrewandgrew Thu 22-Dec-16 15:13:03

Yanbu.

Mirandawest Thu 22-Dec-16 15:13:17

My DD had a secret Santa with four of her friends. They came round here and all opened them together - the opening was part of the fun.

DD is very much a "wait until Christmas Day" type of person but she said it wouldn't have been right to wait with secret Santa

Luttrell Thu 22-Dec-16 15:16:29

Judging from previous Secret Santa threads I hope they enjoy opening nipple tassles and giant dildos in front of their families.

harderandharder2breathe Thu 22-Dec-16 15:29:09

Yabu

I save mine because I generally spend Christmas on my own (which is fine), so I like to save everything to unwrap on the big day. I've discovered I get out of it at work by being the secret santa deliverer which I love anyway.

It's a gift, it's for the person getting it to do what they want with

Electrolens Thu 22-Dec-16 15:29:13

YANBU the point of a £5 secret Santa is to exchange open and guess who got who and see what others have - it's a social thing

ShimmeringIce Thu 22-Dec-16 15:31:02

I feel totally cheated if I don't see everyone open any present I give them!

Sybys Thu 22-Dec-16 15:31:08

YANBU. Exactly what Electrolens said.

ChristmasTreeKisses Thu 22-Dec-16 17:00:59

I think it's up the receiver when they open their gift.

Shesinfashion Thu 22-Dec-16 17:10:29

I don't open mine. It's another present to add to my tiny pile on the day. Also, I get ridiculously embarrassed opening presents in front of people. I blame my parents for underplaying every birthday I ever had as a child.

YoHoHoandabottleofTequila Thu 22-Dec-16 17:16:19

Well surely it depends where you work? I work in a hospital so we aren't all together so we take them home as and when we're there to drop off and collect the presents.

I've had a couple of really shit secret santa presents so I'm quite glad I haven't been there to open them as I'm not sure I could have kept quiet.

bimbobaggins Thu 22-Dec-16 17:21:30

I always keep my secret santa gift to open on Christmas Day. I don't get very many gifts so I like to keep it as a surprise.most of my colleagues open there's but don't have any issue with me taking mine home

Keremy Thu 22-Dec-16 17:26:21

I never opened mine either when I worked in an office rather than at home, the reason being that in the ten years I lived with ex I did not get a present at Christmas. No one would have known this.

PatMullins Thu 22-Dec-16 17:27:35

I couldn't give a shiny shite either way

SparklesandBangs Thu 22-Dec-16 17:41:23

Those that don't open are like my MIL she gets loads of presents from random people and saves them for Christmas Day, then she waits until everyone has opened their present (adults) or presents (DC) and then proceeds to open each one slowly and to comment on it.

When the DC or I get a present from friends if the occasion allows we open it with the giver.

Office secret santa was a riot (fun) this year and certainly wouldn't have been if everyone just collected a parcel and took it home.

allowlsthinkalot Thu 22-Dec-16 17:55:31

We're having a big family Christmas but we don't do presents for adults so ss gift is indeed my only present to open on Christmas day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now