Talk

Advanced search

Wedding donation on eBay.

(32 Posts)
Lookinatu Thu 22-Dec-16 10:48:57

I was looking for one of those wedding fund money box and came across a couple who are asking for bids for there wedding. I thought it was sweet dh doesn't agree. Don't get me wrong I have never really seen anything like this before. So not really a aibu? But is this a normal thing and I am just out of the loop?

GinIsIn Thu 22-Dec-16 10:51:05

How on earth is that sweet? It's just plain grabby!

sooperdooper Thu 22-Dec-16 10:52:01

That's ridiculous, idiots

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Thu 22-Dec-16 10:52:43

That's just online begging, even worse than bloody "Go Fund Me" or whatever it's called.

I hope eBay take it down.

MadHattersWineParty Thu 22-Dec-16 10:53:00

What?!!! Sweet??!!

No, it's not 'normal'.

smEGGnogg Thu 22-Dec-16 10:53:49

No. Its not.

I am fine with gift lists, couples asking for money instead of gifts, silly poems in invitations, I can cope with baby showers and most hen party formats and all that business that's generally viewed as grasping on mumsnet.

But this way way beyond me. If you can't afford the wedding, you shouldn't get married.

Merriment Thu 22-Dec-16 10:54:29

Grabby feckers!

YouHadMeAtCake Thu 22-Dec-16 10:56:58

Grabby and awful. Grubby too. I can't stand this sort of thing. On one of our local Fb selling pages a couple of leeches are getting lots of freebies or low cost wedding items , they're not ill ,no reason other than they're grabby. They're being really rude and entitled about stuff they're hardly paying a penny for or are getting free, people offering services and even wedding dress and rings. Fund our wedding indeed. Fund it your bloody selves!

hackneyandbow Thu 22-Dec-16 11:02:57

translation: I'm considering doing this but wanted to test the waters first

AllTheBabies Thu 22-Dec-16 11:05:23

I'm suspicious that the op is the one doing this.

Why on earth would anyone donate money for a strangers wedding?!

4men1lady Thu 22-Dec-16 11:08:08

I thought no one could seriously ask for donations..but yep, it's there on eBay..the mind boggles hmm and it's not sweet!!!

4men1lady Thu 22-Dec-16 11:09:14

Hmmm good thinking allthebabies..never thought of that. It's probably directed everyone to eBay..like it did me blush

VeryBitchyRestingFace Thu 22-Dec-16 11:11:23

I don't think I understand - how does a bid for a wedding work? What's offer?

Are they asking people to bid for a ticket to the reception?

confused

witsender Thu 22-Dec-16 11:13:12

Very, very weird. Unless they are selling tickets there is no place for it on eBay.

What a weird, grabby idea.

ShadowMane Thu 22-Dec-16 11:16:56

i've just looked - very odd

NerrSnerr Thu 22-Dec-16 11:17:59

I think the OP is the one doing this and will think that people here will search and donate. I think it's awful, like people who do gofundme stuff to fund lifestyle/ hobbies etc.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Thu 22-Dec-16 11:19:18

I'd back away from the couple fast. That's freaky.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Thu 22-Dec-16 11:21:42

In the interests of research, I've just googled it.

@lookinatu, is this the couple where one partner has a series of health complaints? It isn't at all clear from the item description how those issues relate to the "auction".

Anyhoo, they've raised £1 so far. If the DM ( waves ) picks this story up, mebbes it will swell the coffers.

NerrSnerr Thu 22-Dec-16 11:22:46

How many people are now Watching it to see if anyone any idiots bid!

MadHattersWineParty Thu 22-Dec-16 11:25:28

The text on EBay reads very similarly to the OP, I think this is them too.

Anyway, it's awful! I hope eBay take it down.

DeepanKrispanEven Thu 22-Dec-16 11:27:43

I don't understand - what do you think is "sweet" about it? If one of my friends did it I wouldn't be impressed.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Thu 22-Dec-16 11:27:53

I can't work out from the blurb what you'd be bidding for. confused

Ebay is an auction site, not a donation site. OP the "seller" would have been better off setting up a page on a Crowdfunding website.

DropZoneOne Thu 22-Dec-16 11:30:49

No, not a thing. It's in violation of eBay listing policy as there's not actually anything being offered, the listing invites donations which is what donation sites are for.

Although I find the concept a bit weird, if ops friends are willing to give cash in lieu of a present, but make it upfront, then no one is getting hurt. But it does feel grabby, a simple wedding doesn't have to be expensive - if the budget is small, cut your cloth accordingly.

LunaLoveg00d Thu 22-Dec-16 11:33:46

Grabby, tacky, awful and not "sweet" in the slightest.

Lookinatu Thu 22-Dec-16 11:34:15

Sorry to disappoint mad but not me am already married. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now