Talk

Advanced search

To ask you all to share your "Fake it till' you Make it" stories?

(10 Posts)
user1477282676 Thu 22-Dec-16 10:37:47

When have you faked it till you make it? Have you ever bigged yourself up....expanded on the truth to impress or to achieve something you wanted profesionally?

Also what does this term actually mean to you?

I'm thinking of applying for an opportunity but feel a bit like I might have to act as though I've more experience than I have....though I know I can do what's needed.

Babysue Thu 22-Dec-16 17:41:10

Hi what can happen if u eat a joint of beef that as been frozen and as got a the 26th November on it

isthistoonosy Thu 22-Dec-16 17:45:49

Yes for my second professional job I expanded my experience a little and then worked extra hours to keep.up. It all worked out really well so I'm really glad I did it.

Beef -,if you froze it before the 26th Nov it will be fine to eat provided you.cook it properly. (People normally their own separate threads for new questions.)

esiotrot2015 Thu 22-Dec-16 17:48:49

In every interview I've ever been to fwink

What's the beef question doing on this thread fgrin

LadyMonicaBaddingham Thu 22-Dec-16 17:53:33

@babysue It will be fine as long as it was frozen before the use by date. Think you got the wrong thread though. Merry Christmas smile

moongirl123 Fri 23-Dec-16 12:02:26

I thought everyone does this at some point in their career. My career started because I got a freelance project that worked out very well for me. To get that freelance project I had to big up my experiences. Like you though, I knew I could do it. In the end the client was very happy that I got it done on budget and on time, and I got my next permanent job from it. I think you should go for the job and good luck!

user1477282676 Sat 24-Dec-16 05:50:58

Laughing at how my thread turned into beef! fgrin Thanks all!

Henrysmycat Sat 24-Dec-16 07:01:43

Absolutely. My entire life is/was was one "bigging up" story. I come from a country that women don't get many opportunities or a decent job if you don't have connections. I reached high management in the U.K. and US and managed PhD study just by being brazen, driven and adhering to the "you don't know if you don't try". I have failed a few times but luck favoured me an awful lot more.
I'd say go for it. What's the worst that can happen? You fail. And? Get up dust off, learn your lesson and start again.

PhoenixJasmine Sat 24-Dec-16 07:05:50

Why don't you tell us about this opportunity, OP? Your initial post reads like a journalist fishing for source material.

pallasathena Sat 24-Dec-16 07:31:26

If you suffer as I have in the past, from Imposter Syndrome, then you quickly learn that the only way to keep afloat and eventually get ahead in this crazy world is to adopt a persona.
'Fake it until you make it', is one of the items in the pallas toolbox because if you don't display confidence in yourself and your abilities (even though inside you're shaking like a leaf and really, really want to run away and hide...), no-one else will and those fleeting opportunities will just pass you by and head straight for someone else.
To be awesome you have to feel awesome: inside and out. Fully fledged awesomeness comes from confidence in your own abilities and belief in yourself so 'Fake it until you make it', while you learn the ropes and practise becoming a model example of supremely brilliant awesomeness and enjoy the ride!.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now