Talk

Advanced search

To ask what you think when people comment on a pretty face or smile?

(69 Posts)
cherrycrumblecustard Wed 21-Dec-16 21:20:16

Is this a polite way of calling people fat, do you think? Or am I reading too much into it?

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Wed 21-Dec-16 21:23:43

confused Could you give us a bit more context?

Sparlklesilverglitter Wed 21-Dec-16 21:24:52

Some people do have a pretty face or a gorgeous smile though confused

Why does it mean your fat? In my world it doesn't mean that confused

isthistoonosy Wed 21-Dec-16 21:24:55

I assume they think the person is pretty.

cherrycrumblecustard Wed 21-Dec-16 21:25:48

I don't know, I always thought it meant they think you're fat but want to say something positive.

SharkBastard Wed 21-Dec-16 21:26:26

My sister and I ALWAYS think it's because we're fat with reasonably alright faces. We laugh about it cause it's so fucking patronising

tootsietoo Wed 21-Dec-16 21:26:49

haha, I remember when a client, on being shown my wedding pictures, commented that my DH looked like "he had a great personality". Well he does, but I did take it to mean that he thought he was overweight (he is).

I think it's an odd thing to say to anyone to their face (unless it's in a romantic context), too personal, rude.

Mynestisfullofempty Wed 21-Dec-16 21:27:40

I think it means that they think the person has a pretty face or smile. confused

QueenMortificado Wed 21-Dec-16 21:29:19

If someone says you have a "bubbly personality" that means they think you're fat

Lisa Riley always gets described as "bubbly"

cherrycrumblecustard Wed 21-Dec-16 21:31:03

Shark yes, this is precisely what I worry about!

I got described as bubbly on holiday this summer. I did not take it as a compliment, particularly!

wonderingsoul Wed 21-Dec-16 21:32:36

Pretty face id take as a fat comment

Pretty smile id take as a compliment as some people have wonderful smiles.. like how some people smile with thier eyes.

HerBluebiro Wed 21-Dec-16 21:36:55

You have such a pretty face vs you are so pretty/beautiful

Yeah I see what you mean

Still better than 'aren't you fugly?!'

EastMidsMummy Wed 21-Dec-16 21:42:18

I also think it means that they think the person has a pretty face or smile.

arethereanyleftatall Wed 21-Dec-16 21:43:08

It depends if the person is fat.

stumblymonkey Wed 21-Dec-16 21:43:30

So I've put on four stone over the past couple of years and have definitely noticed a change from 'you're so pretty' to 'you've got such a pretty face'.

wishparry Wed 21-Dec-16 21:43:58

Not necessarily.sometimes i get taken aback by certain features of a person.if i meet someone with such great eyes/smile etc i stare for a bit,then have to break the silence with a "you have lovely eyes".
Perhaps you don't realise how lovely your face and smile are smile

Bluntness100 Wed 21-Dec-16 21:52:14

I think it depends on the person, I'm generally and genuinely described as pretty, but I'm five foot eight and size ten, so it doesn't mean I'm fat, Sorry I'm struggling with what you're asking, pretty and fat isn't one and the same thing,being pretty does not automatically mean you're fat, and being fat doesn't mean you're pretty, the two things are unrelated, but of course you can be both...

cherrycrumblecustard Wed 21-Dec-16 21:53:45

I always think it means they've got nothing positive to say about your figure ha ha.

PotOfYoghurt Wed 21-Dec-16 21:56:50

I agree with a pp, 'pretty face' equals shame about the rest of you (my nana actually said this to me when I was a teenager) whereas 'pretty smile' just means you have a nice smile. It's too specific.

SharkBastard Wed 21-Dec-16 21:57:34

There is a difference between "you're pretty" and "you've a very pretty face" especially to the overweight.

Why can't I just be pretty as opposed to being limited to just my face grin

It's used to upset me but now I just laugh or depending on how many Stella's I've had, I'll ask them why they feel I need their judgement on my face

sonjadog Wed 21-Dec-16 21:59:08

It wouldn´t even occur to me that they meant anything other than the person in question had a pretty face. I would probably agree and then think about something else.

WorraLiberty Wed 21-Dec-16 22:06:31

They probably mean exactly what they're saying - that the person has a pretty face or smile confused

I always think it means they've got nothing positive to say about your figure ha ha.

I rarely comment on anyone's figure, due to how paranoid a lot of people are about their weight.

I'm still stunned at the amount of Mumsnetters who believe the words "You're looking well", actually means "You're looking fat" confused

cherrycrumblecustard Wed 21-Dec-16 22:09:59

You're looking we'll definitely means 'you've piled on a few pounds.'

MooPointCowsOpinion Wed 21-Dec-16 22:10:15

I'm still stunned at the amount of Mumsnetters who believe the words "You're looking well", actually means "You're looking fat"

Worra it really does come across as 'you've got fat' to me, no one ever said it to me when I was a size 6. Now I'm a size 14 I get it all the time. Yeah I get it I had two kids alright? fuck off nan

Beewhisperer Wed 21-Dec-16 22:11:55

Haha I use bubbly when writing children's school reports when what I really mean is that they are little buggers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now