Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask if you've had a nose job??

(20 Posts)
Belle89 Wed 21-Dec-16 20:01:26

And if so what was the recovery like? Are you happy with the results. I keep having fazes of hating mine and it is effecting my confidence it has a ridge/kink and I think as I'm getting older it's more noticeable.

Temporaryname137 Wed 21-Dec-16 20:28:36

No but god I want one!

Colleague had one, said it took a week or so to recover and was the best thing she's ever done

Tinselbelle Wed 21-Dec-16 20:31:12

Bizarre... I need a nose job!! Thought it can't be that bad given the fact I've found the love of my life and he loves me...but then he threw a wrapper at me that hit my nose and made a comment about it being impossible to miss!!! Nose job for 2017 me thinks!!

Gatekeeper Wed 21-Dec-16 20:31:31

I had.mine done when I was 19. I've never been happy with it though as it isn't symmetrical and profile still not brilliant

airforsharon Wed 21-Dec-16 20:35:43

Yes in 1988 so quite a while ago. I also had a chin implant at the same time. Recovery about a week I think - worst part for me was having the packs removed afterwards, that felt horrible. Now it's a really common op but whne I had mine done (at a teaching hospital in London) I had 4 students peering at me intently as I was being put under grin That was a bit unnerving.

My nose is still slightly 'off centre' (v slight bend to the left) but no one ever comments on that. The surgeon did offer to change that too, after the first op, but tbh I was happy with the results and didn't want more surgery. I knew I would never been Cindy Crawford, I just wanted to blend in and not have smart arses commenting on it.

FantasticBeasts Wed 21-Dec-16 20:35:44

Not quite a nose job (It was offered but I declined it!) but I did have surgery for a deviated septum a very long time ago. I remember waking up in absolute agony but was back at work, black eyes and everything four days later.

UnicornInDMboots Wed 21-Dec-16 20:36:09

I had one when I was 17. I am very happy with it. It isn't entirely symmetrical but the surgeon warned me of this beforehand because although they can do the work symmetrical (obviously they do) and set it that way, once the healing process starts they can't account for how your body will heal.
But I mean mine is just one nostril slightly different to th other and unless you're looking up my nose (!!) You'd not know .

I'm really pleased with mine , my surgeon discussed at length what would work (not too small as wouldn't fit my face etc) and it was good.

Obviously the recovery wasn't nice but then it's surgery on your nose. I was really sick after the op because I'm intolerant to two of the anti sickness drugs they give you but I've had many more GAs since and now I don't get given them so without that it wouldn't have been that bad.
I was also allergic to the tape used on the plaster so I had a very itchy face!! But without those two things I don't think it would have been that awful. But it was a very long time ago now ! But I had it done in the summer holidays between lower and upper sixth and when I went back to school (after 7 weeks of holidays ) it was good as new . Maybe a bit swollen still but I felt absolutely fine.

Belle89 Wed 21-Dec-16 20:37:49

Ah I feel the same 😞 keep thinking well it's ok, am single at the mo but obviously previous partner must of thought it was ok lol. A friends husband made a comment this week and I felt abit floored by it😲
But I am also aware of the cost and being out of action for whatever period of recovery time if I were to go ahead and I have a almost 5yo so feel it would be selfish in that respect and the money could pay for a holiday or something to benefit us both.

SoMuchRoomForActivities Wed 21-Dec-16 20:42:15

Yes. Black eyes for a couple of weeks. They remove the stuffing after two weeks and you have to syringe saline solution in during that time to clear it out.
It can take up to a year for the nose to fully settle but you'll be 'normal' after 2/3 weeks.
I broke my nose when I was 12 and had it straightened when I was 24. They cut a little opening in the side of my nose 'like a postage stamp' too and you would never know it had been done.

HairyToity Wed 21-Dec-16 20:44:29

I have a big nose, as does my Dad and Grandad. It's part of me and I've accepted it. Don't feel the need to change it.

airforsharon Wed 21-Dec-16 20:46:33

Seriously, tell your friends dh to bugger off. One of the positives of having lived with a feature that attracted unkind comments is I've now got zero tolerance for rude personal remarks and I've drummed into my dcs that being horrible about someone's appearance is something you just don't do.

But the important thing is, how do YOU feel about it? If it really bothers you, and you think it always will, then do think about surgery. It's a couple of weeks out of your life, then it's done. I've never regretted it.

Electrolens Wed 21-Dec-16 21:29:24

A good friend of mine did. I never noticed her nose at all and didn't actually realise she'd had it done blush but she got v upset at rude comments she'd had about her nose (understandably) and has been noticeably happier and more confident since.

bananafish81 Fri 23-Dec-16 07:55:33

Had one when I was 17, in 1999

Great surgeon. No one has any clue I've had a nose job and are shocked if I tell them

He was very thorough about understanding why I wanted it done and what difference did I think it was going to make to my life (ie psychological expectations)

He did a great job (haha) in giving me a much sleeker nose that fitted my face - there's nothing worse than Jewish girls with obviously semitic faces with tiny ski jump noses that scream 'nose job'

Turns out my SIL and her mother both had nose jobs with the same surgeon.

I recovered really quickly. Week of a splint and looking like I had gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. Looked awful, felt fine. Splint off and I looked yellow-green and a bit puffy like a frog. 10 days post surgery with a bit of makeup I went shopping and to the cinema and no one clocked anything.

I honestly forget I've ever had it because it just looks like my face - and obvs I've had it all my adult life. People are shocked if they are photos of me as a teenager because there's this hawking great beak that makes me look like someone completely different

Absolutely don't regret it for a second.

UnicornInDMboots Fri 23-Dec-16 08:12:40

banana fish - the Jewish girl with the ski slope nose conversation was the exact one I had with my surgeon!

bananafish81 Fri 23-Dec-16 08:14:44

unicorn your timing was very similar to mine, except mine was 5 days after finishing upper 6th!

CinderellaRockefeller Fri 23-Dec-16 08:48:32

How do you go about finding a decent surgeon? Word of mouth or online?

UnicornInDMboots Fri 23-Dec-16 08:52:10

Yeah I wanted it done before I went to Uni so no one would know!
Thankfully it seems my DDs nose who is only half Ashkenazi so he has a good nose !
I don't know how - my mam found him

bananafish81 Fri 23-Dec-16 08:56:18

My surgeon came from personal recommendation. He basically did all the Jewish noses within a 20 mile radius of Manchester 😂

My DH isn't Jewish but has a rather prominent schnozz. If our fertility treatment ever works out, any future child of ours is likely to be blessed with a generosity of nose....!

UnicornInDMboots Fri 23-Dec-16 08:59:27

Haha I think mine was word of mouth too but was down in London .
Oh good luck with the treatment smile

DadInstead Wed 18-Jan-17 17:19:52

Hi airforsharon, thank you for sharing. It's not usual to come across someone to have had an op on nose and chin for such long time, nearly 20 years. Curiously if I may ask, with your chin implant, how's is it feeling today? Any long term thoughts you might be able to share on the implant? Appreciate your experience and advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now