Talk

Advanced search

To take three kids to London for the day tomorrow

(25 Posts)
WicketWoo Wed 21-Dec-16 19:54:37

Will it be crazy busy?

What would you recommend that we do?

They are 5/9/12.

My tentative plan is to go to Harrods and possibly the Christmas market on the south bank. Good ideas? Anything be better?

All thoughts appreciated

lalalonglegs Wed 21-Dec-16 20:23:28

I think it will still be crazily busy but, if you're up for it, the Oxford St/Regent At lights are very good this year and the window displays at John Lewis are adorable. Keep tight hold of the 5yo.

PeachBellini123 Wed 21-Dec-16 20:25:09

It will be busy yes. I'd try to avoid travelling during rush hour.

PrinceHansOfTheTescoAisles Wed 21-Dec-16 20:25:41

I don't think it'll be too bad. ..schools have broken up so lots of people will be leaving London already

soundsystem Wed 21-Dec-16 20:27:33

I don't think it will be too busy. Central line this morning (during rush hour) was fairly quiet. The tourists will be offset by everyone who's not at work, maybe?

South bank is a good shout. Somerset House?

Evergreen17 Wed 21-Dec-16 20:34:36

If you are going to Harrods you can go to the museums in South Kensington. 15 mins walk.
They are usually very busy but the Natural Hist Mus wasnt today, surprisingly

Acornantics Wed 21-Dec-16 20:42:41

I was there this week; it was phenomenally bust around Regents/Oxford Street and I was vey happy I didn't have DCs with me. Covent Garden also super busy. Don't even think about heading to Hamleys, it was absolutely rammed.

Acornantics Wed 21-Dec-16 20:43:28

busyandvery

lilyb84 Wed 21-Dec-16 20:48:48

It will be busy but provided you can stay calm and together it'll probably be exciting for the kids! Definitely avoid rush hour if you can.

South Bank market is mostly food and drink stalls these days and does get very busy with tourists but the area feels fun and festive if you can bear it. There's a lovely quieter market outside the Tate Modern Plus of course the Tate itself to explore, St Paul's over the bridge...

I'd second Harrod's then National History Museum!

arethereanyleftatall Wed 21-Dec-16 20:51:43

We went last week. Loved winter wonderland. Harrods was rammed, but dc loved it. I loved the oxford street/regent street lights.

AtSea1979 Wed 21-Dec-16 20:54:45

Is there a friend who could go with you and keep an extra eye on kids too?

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Wed 21-Dec-16 20:56:00

It will be utterly bonkers busy. But the lights around Piccadilly / Regent St are gorgeous.

If you do go, avoid the rush hour as pps have suggested. Do you need any advice on London transport?

Tollygunge Wed 21-Dec-16 20:59:54

I live in London. I would not take 3 kids to harrods this near Christmas, it's so bloody crowded. If you want to do something Christmassy, south bank bit less rammed.

cornflowerblu Wed 21-Dec-16 21:00:17

You'll be fine, you really don't need anyone with you. Go to Covent Garden and wander round, down to Charing Cross and Leicester Sqare. Walk back to Charing Cross and over Westminster bridge to Southbank. Wander round there, it will be busy and then maybe take the tube a couple of stops to borough market.

Blacksox Wed 21-Dec-16 21:00:51

My mum and dad were doing their annual trip tomorrow with our dcs - shopping and lunch at Harrods.

Unfortunately, the elevated terror threat has put them off confused

bluechameleon Wed 21-Dec-16 21:04:35

I went into London to the zoo today. The tube wasn't very busy, and nor was the train station (Euston). Didn't go to the shops though so can't comment on them.

leccybill Wed 21-Dec-16 21:06:18

Cripes, you're brave. I'm stressing about taking DD and her two friends to McDonald's in the town centre tomorrow!

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Wed 21-Dec-16 21:06:59

I'd guess there will be barely room to breathe in Borough Market, it's bad enough on a standard Saturday.

Probably also worth having a plan for what to do if you get split up in the crowds.

fabulous01 Wed 21-Dec-16 21:14:16

Are you mad. I work in London. Go local and have a fun day. Those shops will be like a riot on a bad day

MollyHuaCha Wed 21-Dec-16 21:17:42

I was in London yesterday with four teens. Had a great time. Went to V&A museum, then a 10 min stroll to Harrods - the food hall is so colourful. Crowded yes, but not ridiculously so. Then a quick trip to see the guards outside Buckingham Palace as one of the teens was visiting from abroad and it was his first time in London. Then we took the tube to Covent Garden and took in the street entertainers quirky little craft stalls, followed by dinner. Lovely busy day making lots of happy memories.

WicketWoo Thu 22-Dec-16 00:24:57

Thanks to you all for the messages. Tentative plan is to go to harrods and walk to natural history museum to go ice skating.

We talked about what to do in case of a shooter/terrorist earlier confused and the kids were quite happy about it. I will give the youngest 2 my phone number and strict instructions to find a policeman or a mummy/daddy with kids if they lose me so I feel ok about all that.

Quite excited now actually.

WicketWoo Thu 22-Dec-16 00:26:19

And definitely avoiding rush hours.

MsGameandWatch Thu 22-Dec-16 00:29:34

I live in London too. There's nothing that could induce me to take my children "into town" before Christmas. Will just be too stressfully busy.

WorraLiberty Thu 22-Dec-16 00:33:17

Yes it will be busy but so will most places to be fair.

If you find yourself near Hyde Park (Marble Arch station), take them to Winter Wonderland for a look about.

Entry is free, rides are expensive but the whole Christmas market/lights/atmosphere is amazing.

Have a great time whatever you decide to do.

Bedsheets4knickers Thu 22-Dec-16 00:36:09

I'd go . Write your mobile number on your 5 year olds arm x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now