Talk

Advanced search

To feel v paranoid that I smell?

(38 Posts)
SaltySeaDogs Wed 21-Dec-16 18:51:57

I didn't have time to shower this a morn as running a bit late so shoved on a dress from my chair of clothes ie not dirty but not just out of the washing machine. I put perfume and deodorant on and apart from the dress not smelling of washing powder, it doesn't smell bad and neither do I, I think? Am aware I prob don't smell ridiculously fresh smell though!!!

Anyway I was working with a new team today and as I left the manager said oh, you're like a breath of fresh air amongst all these jaded people - I can't help but feel that's a reflection on me not smelling great?!? Someone reassure me - CAN people smell themselves? Has everyone been talking about me behind my back?! It's a very professional company and there were some senior people in the room

NavyandWhite Wed 21-Dec-16 18:53:34

Huh?!?

He was being nice saying that you're good to have around.

SaltySeaDogs Wed 21-Dec-16 18:53:53

Also my hair hasn't been washed got a few days (the miracle of dry shampoo) - am washing it tonight though! I am not a dirty person, just don't need to wash hair regularly.

NavyandWhite Wed 21-Dec-16 18:54:32

You're overthinking this grin

Imfinehowareyou Wed 21-Dec-16 19:07:51

A breath of fresh air is a compliment and nothing to do with your personal hygiene.

FeckinCrutches Wed 21-Dec-16 19:10:45

Are you a bit stupid? Surely you know what 'A breath of fresh air' means?

MooPointCowsOpinion Wed 21-Dec-16 19:14:11

I don't think the previous comments are helpful. I have had days where I think 'oh god what if I smell' and actually have had someone tell me I did smell, and I just wasn't aware of it. I'm so careful now.

Clothes are the culprit for me, they hang on to smells even after a good wash, especially more woollen type materials.

You probably didn't smell today, so don't worry too much, now you know it makes you anxious to go to work in those clothes just don't do that anymore. For your own peace of mind rather than because you will smell.

NavyandWhite Wed 21-Dec-16 19:15:18

What previous comments?

Salmotrutta Wed 21-Dec-16 19:18:03

Are you a bit stupid?

Are you always so pleasant FeckinCrutches?

OP - I'm sure the manager was just saying a nice thing smile

SaltySeaDogs Wed 21-Dec-16 19:20:22

No im not stupid - I'm very intelligent - intelligent enough to understand and be aware that people can be rude to get a laugh from others. I work in a wanker banker investment bank...

BeingATinselTwatItsABingThing Wed 21-Dec-16 19:23:26

If you are that worried, shower daily (doesn't have to be hair as well although mine needs washing every day) and wash your clothes regularly.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Wed 21-Dec-16 19:26:14

A wanker banker investment bank? try saying that when you're pissed grin

I doubt you smell, you've got deoderant and perfume on. I think you would smell yourself if you started to honk. The worst body odour is caused by stale sweat I'd say, so clothes that have been worn for several days are the worst offenders as bacteria starts to 'feed' on all the sweat absorbed by your clothes.

monkeywithacowface Wed 21-Dec-16 19:28:09

Jaded means bored or unenthusiastic so nothing to do with smelling -confused think you are over thinking it a bit

Birdsgottafly Wed 21-Dec-16 19:31:57

I'm going against the grain, but you need to was and not rely on coving up not being fresh. My DD does it sometimes, I think it's insulting to those that you work with.

It's like not cleaning and throwing on a plug in.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 21-Dec-16 19:37:33

Do you know what 'a breath of fresh air means?'

FlyingElbows Wed 21-Dec-16 19:39:10

I'm more worried about the fact that you work in investment banking and don't know what the phrase "like a breath of fresh air" means! Just wash and hang your clothes up instead of dumping them on a chair if you're that worried about people being able to smell you. How odd.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Wed 21-Dec-16 19:44:18

I'm sure OP knows what "A breath of fresh air" means confused

I assume she was worried he was being sarcastic when he said it in front of others.
It might sound silly, but I've worked in an all male sales team and it wasn't a pleasant experience. Casual sexism and thinly veiled digs dressed up as jokes were the norm. sad

RubbishMantra Wed 21-Dec-16 19:54:23

Pffft, fuckit. Who cares what they think as long as you know your personal stink level.

My cats groom themselves' with their own saliva, and are never stinky.

Blacksox Wed 21-Dec-16 19:56:13

I think you're being very paranoid.

But no shower, unwashed hair and worn clothes? My friend does this - and she does smell a wee bit fusty.

roundaboutthetown Wed 21-Dec-16 19:59:18

Have you considered working somewhere that doesn't make you feel so paranoid?!

SaltySeaDogs Wed 21-Dec-16 20:00:20

Of course I know what it means! I am referring to the fact that it could be interpreted as a sarcastic play on words ffs

SaltySeaDogs Wed 21-Dec-16 20:00:56

I have anxiety problems that I'm getting help with

Hellochicken Wed 21-Dec-16 20:01:37

OP knows what "breath of fresh air" means.

She wonders if wanker bank manager said it as a joke, that she wouldnt "get" as they had been talking about her smell before he made the comment.

I think you might not smell yourself (sorry!) but one day missing shower and using deodrant shouldnt be too smelly. I think you can smell pongy clothes the next day, if they smell. Just be fresh tomorrow as its obviously worrying you.

I would guess it was a complement on your enthusiasm.

RubbishMantra Wed 21-Dec-16 20:01:51

*... and they begin their body-wash with their anuses. I assume you don't do the same OP? grin

Hellochicken Wed 21-Dec-16 20:02:49

x post

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now