Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

cheese is a health food!

(33 Posts)
Lrphilpot Wed 21-Dec-16 18:16:27

My sister has gone bat shit crazy on so called healthy good. She keeps saying that cheese is a junk food. How long earth can it be a junk food? It's full of vitamins, calcium and other good stuff. The government advice for children is to have 3 portions of dairy every single day, so cheese can not possibility be a junk food.

harderandharder2breathe Wed 21-Dec-16 18:19:04

Cheese contains fat, it's not something that adults should have vast quantities of. Children is different as they have different nutritional requirements.

So yabu to assume unlimited cheese is always healthy

Sibu to assume any cheese is always bad

dementedpixie Wed 21-Dec-16 18:19:44

Maybe because of the fat and salt content?

JosephineMaynard Wed 21-Dec-16 18:19:57

Is she equating healthy with low fat?

Because cheese is usually quite high in fat, despite all the vitamins and calcium. Not sure about the salt content either.

Lrphilpot Wed 21-Dec-16 18:24:00

Oh I totally agree not to have unlimited amounts,I'm just talking about a small matchbox sized chunk a day as being very healthy. We need fats for our bodies.

harderandharder2breathe Wed 21-Dec-16 18:25:46

Matchbox size is the ideal portion so yes healthy amount I take back my yabu wink

(I have no portion control. And I love cheese. Could eat Stilton on its own all day long)

AVirginLitTheCandle Wed 21-Dec-16 18:27:59

But fat is not evil confused Everybody needs some fat in their diet.

I would say cheese is good for you as it is full of protein, calcium, B vitamins, fat (which yes we do need!). Of course it's not a good idea to eat cheese with every single meal but the same could be said of just about any other food.

When did this whole "fat is the devil" thing start?

whattodowiththepoo Wed 21-Dec-16 18:28:52

"We need fats for our bodies."

Which most people get from cooking lubricants and other sauces, we almost certainly don't need cheese but we also don't need to cut it out completely.
Some people can't just have a match box size piece of cheese every other day, if they have 300g block of cheddar in the fridge they eat 200g. For people with eating disorders cutting out all high calorie food can be the only option.

NameChanger22 Wed 21-Dec-16 18:32:13

If it weren't for cheese I'd probably starve to death. Therefore it's healthy for me.

Scholes34 Wed 21-Dec-16 18:34:24

We certainly do need cheese. The world would be a sadder place without cheese. Except for goat's cheese. We can all do without goat's cheese.

tibbawyrots Wed 21-Dec-16 18:49:32

I think I have cheese every day.
fwink

QueenOfTheFuckingWorld Wed 21-Dec-16 18:55:06

Scholes no! Goats cheese is wonderful! I love all cheese, the stinkier the better!

FaFoutis Wed 21-Dec-16 19:00:17

How refreshing, retro stupid diet preaching.

neonrainbow Wed 21-Dec-16 19:01:42

Who the hell could eat 200g cheese in a day!? Have you ever weighed a portion of cheese? 30g is absolutely loads let alone 200g!

People with eating disorders are not the norm.

tibbawyrots Wed 21-Dec-16 19:02:07

Only cheese I didn't like was Gorgonzola. I admitted defeat on that one! Too stinky. fgrin

TroysMammy Wed 21-Dec-16 19:04:04

I have a thin slice of cheese with my toast at breakfast but my porridge is made with skimmed milk. I am trying to convince my niece that Baby Bels and cheese strings are not real cheese. I'm getting there and she's telling her friends too. fgrin

SantaPleaseBringMeEwanMcGregor Wed 21-Dec-16 19:04:19

I'll take all your unwanted cheese. All of it.

MyCatsHateMLMtoo Wed 21-Dec-16 19:07:20

Mmmm, cheese. All us low carbers eat cheese - we love the fat, and its great cooked or raw. It is definitely a healthy choice. Just pass it on to us please grin.

lljkk Wed 21-Dec-16 19:09:19

I luffs all cheese, even goat cheese.

No, I tell a lie, blue cheese is work of Devil.

Believeitornot Wed 21-Dec-16 19:10:49

Fat isn't bad. too much fat is bad although I think carbs are worse.

When I cut out carbs I felt a million times better and lose weight.

GettingitwrongHauntingatnight Wed 21-Dec-16 19:11:37

I am a cheess monster. Its not good for adults in large anounts sadly.

EddieStobbart Wed 21-Dec-16 19:11:42

I had a match box sized amount for my snack earlier. Then a similar sized amount of 85% cocoa Green & Blacks. Was thinking of going out for a posh (low sugar) hot chocolate with loads of cream in a minute but probably won't get there before the cafe shuts. I'll have any spare cheese that's going thanks!

lljkk Wed 21-Dec-16 19:15:47

I've had some wine or I wouldn't feel the need to share this. 35 grams of cheddar joy. What's not to like?

Sirzy Wed 21-Dec-16 19:16:30

It's like most things. Eaten in moderation it's fine, eaten to excess its not.

Beebeeeight Wed 21-Dec-16 19:18:02

200g is nothing!

You should see how much I put in my macaroni cheese mmmmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now