Talk

Advanced search

To hate being called hun and darling and girl by other women?

(55 Posts)
fruityb Wed 21-Dec-16 16:13:00

Slimming world consultant does it - I get texts saying hiya gorgeous or hi darling or when you go it's all hey honey how are you? How's all my girls?

Or make up pedlars on Facebook telling me this £30 mascara will boost my confidence #sisterhood.

AIBU or is it just my serious dislike of over familiarity making me think this is overstepping a mark? There's being friendly and then trying to act like you know me so well. I wouldn't like it if a man did it so I don't understand why some women think it's ok! Quite often they're total strangers and just because we both have boobs doesn't mean you're allowed to act like you're my friend.

redannie118 Wed 21-Dec-16 16:16:13

Maybe they should just scowl at you and call you bitch then ? I get where you're coming from but bloody hell with all the hatred and spite in the world how can you seriously find the energy to mouth off about someone being nice to you??

lovelearning Wed 21-Dec-16 16:16:42

hiya gorgeous or hi darling or when you go it's all hey honey how are you? How's all my girls? hahahahaha!!!!!

fruityb, YABU.

wink

MontePulciana Wed 21-Dec-16 16:17:05

At my old workplace everyone was "babes". It drove me mad.

SirChenjin Wed 21-Dec-16 16:18:18

So - one woman does it to you? confused

fruityb Wed 21-Dec-16 16:18:20

lol maybe I am then. It just bothers me a lot! Possibly not helped by my social awkwardness then.

Will accept I am. I just find this whole girly girl thing difficult at times!

fruityb Wed 21-Dec-16 16:18:47

And not just one woman that was an example. I see it quite a lot and just find it odd.

mumsnit Wed 21-Dec-16 16:19:30

Being called 'Madam' is my bugbear!! Girl/hun/darling I can cope with grin

Rixera Wed 21-Dec-16 16:20:11

Used to really bother me...
But now I call DD darling and it slips out all over the place blush thankyou darling to strangers in shops, I never used to be that person!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 21-Dec-16 16:21:23

I like it! YABU

guest2013 Wed 21-Dec-16 16:24:05

Seriously, it's just people being nice. I think it's probably got something to do with your confidence as I have come across this before. Not believing you are gorgeous so feeling awkward when someone says you are etc..

fruityb Wed 21-Dec-16 16:24:57

Maybe I just need to start doing it back and it'll bother me less lol.

I am quite affectionate with pet names for people but I don't do it with people I don't really know. I kind of build it up over time!

Cherryskypie Wed 21-Dec-16 16:27:13

YANBU

Hun is just annoying and the others I'd only accept from DH.

JojoLapin Wed 21-Dec-16 16:28:36

YANBU, I am no one's Hun smile! I'm with you, it makes me say Urgh on the inside -no hatred or badmouthing here Red, calm down.

PurpleDaisies Wed 21-Dec-16 16:31:07

I hate it. "Sweetheart" from people I don't know feels particularly patronising. I don't say anything, just seethe inwardly instead. That's the British way. smile

wasonthelist Wed 21-Dec-16 16:32:16

Being called 'Madam' is my bugbear!!

Why??

fruityb Wed 21-Dec-16 16:33:21

I don't like Madam as it was always used in a telling off tone when I was a kid!

Gingernaut Wed 21-Dec-16 16:34:23

Up here in the West Midlands, it's "chick".

"How am yow, chick?", "Hallow chick", "All right, chick?"

To total strangers, passing acquainances and people you just see round town without knowing their names.

If I got annoyed with everyone who called me "chick", I'd spend my days permanently outraged.

TheNaze73 Wed 21-Dec-16 16:34:46

YANBU

Araminta99 Wed 21-Dec-16 16:38:42

YABU. Only trying to be friendly. I'm in theatrical circles and everyone is darling or dear. It doesn't mean anything.

MikeUniformMike Wed 21-Dec-16 16:39:22

I hate being called hun and darling and girl by other women and by men.
DP initially called me babes. I think I asked him not to the 2nd time.

Sweetheart, love etc - not by strangers please. Madam is more polite.

Girl. I'm a woman. Only acceptable when the male equivalent is boy/lad

mumsnit Wed 21-Dec-16 18:11:27

wasonthelist because it makes me feel like I'm about 106 years old grin

CaoNiMerrilyOnHigh Wed 21-Dec-16 18:51:24

My grandma used to call people "cock" as a term of endearment shock

Chrisinthemorning Wed 21-Dec-16 18:59:04

I call people love a lot but in I am in Yorkshire. Men call each other love here

BerylMeeps Wed 21-Dec-16 19:11:47

Agreed with Chris. Everyone is love, pet, mate, lass or lad. I do however have a bad habit of darling-ing people fgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now