Talk

Advanced search

To ask why Americans are so loud?

(160 Posts)
MrsMattBomer Wed 21-Dec-16 15:33:35

We've got some American relatives and their friends visiting today. My god, they're loud. They've commented several times at how quiet and restrained British TV shows are and even when just having a conversation with us they sound sooo much louder.

My eardrums feel like they're going to burst!

mumblechum0 Wed 21-Dec-16 15:39:31

I notice that too, you can always hear every word of their conversation over the general hum i. Restaurants, bars etc.
Have no idea why tbh

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Wed 21-Dec-16 15:41:25

I know 3... not one of them is particularly loud!

FannyWisdom Wed 21-Dec-16 15:41:28

Lot more space there they aren't used to being so cramped.

Marcipex Wed 21-Dec-16 15:42:12

DGS must be American, that would explain the all-day din.

Blossomdeary Wed 21-Dec-16 15:42:28

I have hearing aids - I would turn them off!

StillMaidOfStars Wed 21-Dec-16 15:44:26

If speaking in stereotypes, I don't think they are necessarily loud but I always think they seem very confident. I guess for some, that translates to loudness. I find the same with Aussies and South Africans.

formerbabe Wed 21-Dec-16 15:44:32

I think that British people can be quite reserved and therefore think Americans are loud.

I really loved America as you can have a good old chat with strangers and no one thinks it's weird!

TheCompanyOfCats Wed 21-Dec-16 15:46:06

We had some Americans behind us in the theatre a few weeks back and at first the din was irritating (continuing our conversation was impossible) but then we found them quite funny. Love their enthusiasm for everything. Obviously, this was before the curtain went up. They were quiet when the show started or my appraisal would be less generous.

amusedbush Wed 21-Dec-16 15:58:57

It's a sweeping generalisation but I do think that American TV and even adverts are a lot more in your face than here. The enthusiasm is what gets me, and random people stopping you to chat!

MontePulciana Wed 21-Dec-16 16:03:14

You're right they are much louder than Brits. we are shy and reserved, apparently. My DH moved here from California few years ago and he's lost his loudness, I miss it! I think he was embarrassed about it.

BdumBdummer Wed 21-Dec-16 16:09:54

I think it's more to do with how different the accent sounds among UK English speakers. When I'm there with US family they don't sound loud but I always feel my mousey voice stands out because of my accent. When family is here chilling at our house they don't sound loud but they do when out and about. It's an accent thing.

mistermagpie Wed 21-Dec-16 16:18:58

We have american relatives and stayed with them and about ten of their friends in a house in the summer. I am not usually one for sweeping generalisations, but a louder bunch of people I have never met! They also had a pathological hatred of shutting doors so the raket carried no matter where you were in the house. I think Americans are brought up to be more confident and assertive than British people and this can often translate into loudness.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 21-Dec-16 16:19:24

I like their loudness. It comes over as confidence to me.

Couchtofivek Wed 21-Dec-16 16:24:20

When I lived in Oz I found my voice getting louder and louder.
When I came home, having effectively shouted the entire time I was there, I got funny looks for bellowing at people.

HopperBusTicket Wed 21-Dec-16 16:24:22

My husband is from Northern Ireland. He says English people sound loud. I think different cultures do have different set volumes.

mistermagpie Wed 21-Dec-16 16:27:52

There were a lot of japanese people on my uni course and I found that they (when speaking Japanese but not English weirdly) were also very loud. I think it's the dialect rather than a cultural thing but British people do tend to be a bit apologetic and self-concious so maybe that's why they are quieter?

I'd rather a loud person than a mumbler (looking at you MIL) any day of the week though.

FrancisCrawford Wed 21-Dec-16 17:10:32

I agree with Hopper - Londoners especially.

My American family live in the South and don't speak loudly, but then it is a soft accent.

LeadPipe Wed 21-Dec-16 17:13:14

I find them generally louder than Brits but not all. Yy to their OTT enthusiasm.

Katedotness1963 Wed 21-Dec-16 17:14:27

My sons have an American friend over today. He's louder than both of mine put together. They've gone out for a walk, I've been able to turn the TV down, they weren't even in the same room as me...

Lovelybangers Wed 21-Dec-16 17:14:35

I have family members from California.

They are pretty loud and talk over each other.

I find that I get quieter and quieter, and I'm not a timid person.

Perhaps it just sounds louder in my 'cosy' house. They think our 4 bed house is very small... ;)

GoTellTheBees Wed 21-Dec-16 17:15:08

My NYC born husband is loud and huge, so his volume carries. He says its from growing up with loads of siblings. They had to be loud to be heard.

U2HasTheEdge Wed 21-Dec-16 17:17:27

I have American friends, and yes they are loud, loud and lovely!

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 21-Dec-16 17:18:02

I don't mind a bit of American boominess but I don't like when certain groups of them do that 'U-S-A, U-S-A' chant at random times. I was in a beer garden in London last summer and a group of about ten 20-something Americans started chanting that really loudly, I'm not quite sure why. Is it an insecurity thing or an over confidence thing? There was much tutting and eye rolling from the other people in the beer garden grin

SuffolkBumkin Wed 21-Dec-16 17:22:38

Just got back from visiting family in northan california, and God yes they are loud. I think it's over confidence. They do not seem to embarrass easily either. I'm quite envious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now