Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to start my diet now?

(20 Posts)
cherrycrumblecustard Wed 21-Dec-16 10:14:44

I really feel 'ready', and we aren't doing much on Christmas Day itself anyway. I feel huge and bloated and uncomfortable. But part of me thinks I'm setting myself up to fail starting to close to Christmas?

anniroc Wed 21-Dec-16 10:18:17

In my opinion you are. Enjoy Christmas day, put your feet up, then start on Boxing Day (although surely they'll be leftovers to get through?) Good luck.

MargotFenring Wed 21-Dec-16 10:20:53

Have a sensible day, where you deflate and digest. Make as many sensible good choices as you can without depriving yourself. It's a beneficial step in the right direction but without the pressure of being on a diet. Then go for it.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Wed 21-Dec-16 10:21:53

I think you're setting yourself up to fail.

However, you could have a few light days now in preparation for Christmas and then go back to it after.

Remember you can ignore the adverts. No one needs those mahoosive piles of food.

cherrycrumblecustard Wed 21-Dec-16 10:22:39

I know. But then i go into Asda or Tesco or sainsburys or even the BP garage!

bluetongue Wed 21-Dec-16 10:24:31

I've already started a few weeks ago but I guess that's not quiet the same. Still enjoying my meals out just being really strict at home and in between. I did buy myself some mini Christmas puds (portion control fgrin ) but apart from that I'm eating fruit for my sweet cravings.

DoesAnyoneReadTheseThings Wed 21-Dec-16 10:31:32

Do 5:2 and make Christmas Day one of the 5 not one of the 2!

HerBluebiro Wed 21-Dec-16 10:34:48

I'm having an off day on Christmas day. I'll still be vaguely sensible but not as asidiously low carb as I have been for the last 2 months. Downside to this is I will be really grumpy on boxing day. But I probably would have been anyway.

Only you know your psychology. For me, pretending I will stick to a diet on Christmas day is silly. So I will relax that day and continue on others and not feel a failure for doing so as it is planned.

harderandharder2breathe Wed 21-Dec-16 10:36:19

I'm starting slimming world after new year but I am trying to be sensible now, not snacking and eating more veg and protein, thinking about the choices I make

I know Christmas will be a write off and then i have guests then I'm visiting family, so won't be fully in control of what I eat til I get home in the new year, so don't want to start now and end up discouraged

cherrycrumblecustard Wed 21-Dec-16 10:38:25

5/2 wouldn't work for me. I'm not really planning anything on Christmas Day tbh.

Bluntness100 Wed 21-Dec-16 10:38:30

I don't think it's unreasonable at all, there is no reason not to cut back now. Sure Xmas day itself may be a bit of a wash out but you certainly don't need to force yourself to eat more now because you will at that point.

Lilly11a Wed 21-Dec-16 11:02:15

Do it, if nothing else you will minimise the "damage" and have a lower starting point in January.

I've been dieting since Oct.
I've been doing 1400 cals 5 days, 1800 ish 1 day and whatever I like 1 day each week for December( plus lots of exercise) so I can still go to parties and gatherings etc .

I've still lost 3 lbs so far this month which isn't loads but it's 3lbs less then I weighed 1st December

FurryDogMother Wed 21-Dec-16 11:06:15

I relaxed my low carbing last week (for the season, yanno), and feel pretty awful as a result. Decided this morning that no food was worth feeling ill for, so have re-committed to cutting out the carbs again, even if it is Christmas. One breakfast of smoked cod and duck eggs later, I'm beginning to feel better. Go for it, I reckon - I remember spending a lot of last Christmas waiting to get over the food bloat, and it wasn't much fun.

HerBluebiro Thu 22-Dec-16 12:43:31

Yes furry. It's like having a hangover isn't it? I'm calling them my carb overs. I threw caution to the wind yesterday for dp's birthday and feel like shite today. That's the last chocolate feast I ever have. And it didn't even taste that nice!

AtleastitsnotMonday Thu 22-Dec-16 16:37:35

I would just drop the labels. If you feel like eating healthier, lighter stuff for the next few days do. If on Christmas Day you feel like carrying on as you have been do, if you think bugger it then so be it. To be honest if you weren't starting til after Xmas anyway starting early means you have nothing to loose. If it goes tits up then just restart as you had planned originally.

BeautyGoesToBenidorm Thu 22-Dec-16 16:45:44

I've been dieting since the spring, and my stomach has shrunk massively, so there's no danger of overstuffing myself at Christmas even if I wanted to - I'd feel like SHIT!

I'd go with eating lighter food for the next few days, and have whatever you fancy on the day, but stop eating once you feel full. Nobody feels good if they gorge themselves, and if you're mindful of what you eat, you'll feel more positive about embarking on your diet.

TheNaze73 Thu 22-Dec-16 17:20:48

YANBU, if you're serious, why not start today?

Good luck smile

AllTheBabies Thu 22-Dec-16 17:24:45

If you feel ready I'd go for it. There is no rule that you have to massively over eat at Christmas.

If you put it off till after Christmas there is the danger that your mind set may have changed and it'll keep getting put off until after new year, after you're back at work, after the box of chocolates is finished etc.

squoosh Thu 22-Dec-16 17:29:23

Go for it. Even if you 'fail' by having a few over indulgent days it's still better than having an overindulgent fortnight.

HerBluebiro Thu 22-Dec-16 18:39:36

How's it going op?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now