Talk

Advanced search

Car parking

(7 Posts)
rightsofwomen Wed 21-Dec-16 09:01:38

I think I can't say anything.

My NDN is very, very ill. She has had a lot of visitors, some regular (like her daughter who lives up the road) and others from further afield.

They nearly all park in such a way I cannot get into my parking space. Well, I could probably get in, but would struggle to get out.

There are a number of visitor parking spaces that they could use, and indeed my car is park in one now (cos I couldn't get into my spot).
I don't mind parking in the visitor spot, but it does mean that there's one less space free for actual visitors or households with more than one car who like to use them (and are free to do so). I can also just go and move my car once the visitor has left but that kind of looks like I'm making a point.

TBH, I'm a bit annoyed that the daughter and her family block me in. Over the years I have had to knock on my DND's door to ask them to move (often when I'm pressed for time). She could very, very easily park elsewhere. I obv can't say anything to my NDN, but if it continues for weeks and weeks WIBU to talk to the daughter. Or shall I just leave it as her Mum is gravely ill?

TheMortificadosDragon Wed 21-Dec-16 09:09:40

Probably best to leave it under these circumstances.

Alternative suggestion - as you said you don't mind using the visitor parking except that it takes up a space, might it help if you asked your NDN's daughter if she would like to use your space while her mother is ill? Then if another family member wants to park blocking the space, it's between themselves.

AuditAngel Wed 21-Dec-16 09:10:47

The problem is that it may go on for quite some time.

Is there a way you could compromise? Perhaps say "on Monday to Friday I am usually out from 8 to 6.30, please feel free to use my space, but can it always be vacated by 6.30 (or whatever) for me to get home from work. I am struggling to park at the moment when I get home and I'd like to help you out...."

In that way you are offering something (that suits you) rather than complaining.

TallyHoAndToodlePip Wed 21-Dec-16 09:18:43

I don't think it would be unreasonable for you to quietly speak to the daughter. Explain that you totally understand she needs to visit her mum but that you also need to be able to park, which you can't right now. Also explain that you taking a visitors space is potentially one less space for them to use. I'm sure they wont see any malice in your request as it's a perfectly reasonable one to make. If you park badly you should expect to be pulled up on it? If anything they're lucky you're so understanding about it all smile

Are there any other neighbours that are impacted by their parking habits? Are they as forgiving as you?

SirChenjin Wed 21-Dec-16 09:21:44

I'd do what Audit suggests. Sadly, while your loved ones are gravely ill other people's lives do have to go on, so it would be reasonable to offer her your space when you're not there but ask to move the car for you coming home.

rightsofwomen Tue 17-Jan-17 11:46:29

sad My NDN died in hospital last night.

Seems so trite to worry about parking now. She was very ill and is at peace.

AmserGwin Wed 18-Jan-17 13:38:57

sad oh no, so sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now