Talk

Advanced search

To ask if you still 'tip' the postie, bin men, etc at Christmas?

(237 Posts)
kitnkaboodle Tue 20-Dec-16 23:16:20

I say 'still', because it is kind of an older generation thing to do. Having not done it before, I gave our postie a box of chocs last Christmas Eve as I work at home and have quite a lot of chats with him. My mum would leave whisky for the milkman, etc, and I think some people used to leave money in the dustbin lids for the bin men. Now wondering if I've started a new tradition and I should get him something this year too.

It's obviously not anything that anyone would get offended by, and no-one's going to say it's a bad idea. Just wondering how many people did it these days.

wonderwoo Tue 20-Dec-16 23:19:45

I tip the postman, bin collectors, and grocery delivery person. I think a lot of people don't now to be honest, but I think its a nice thing to do, it's good to spread some love imo.

NormHonal Tue 20-Dec-16 23:20:49

Yes, I do. They all get paid very little compared to the affluent area where I live.

(Aged early 40s)

SuburbanRhonda Tue 20-Dec-16 23:21:30

I tip our milkman and window cleaner.

I've actually never met the milkman because he delivers at 4.30am!

NormHonal Tue 20-Dec-16 23:22:16

P.S. You will probably get lots of "yes" responses here but I'm not sure that's representative. DNeighbour has gone away for Christmas, same age, and not given a thought to tips, I know.

Floralnomad Tue 20-Dec-16 23:23:25

I give the postman £10 because he is really nice and very helpful about deliveries and I give the dog groomer £10 and a tin of chocs / biscuits . We have 3 different sets of bin men and I'm not sure it's always the same ones so I don't tip them .

Taylor22 Tue 20-Dec-16 23:25:27

No I've never done this. I don't actually interact with any of them much.
I might sign for something sometimes from the postman but that's about it.

MegBusset Tue 20-Dec-16 23:26:27

Postie, yes
Bin men, no - I never see them and have no idea if we have regular ones, they come while I'm at work
Grocery deliveries - no, different person every week

TheProblemOfSusan Tue 20-Dec-16 23:26:53

I never have but I live in flats and haven't actually ever met postie or binmen. In fact I've lived here over a year and still haven't worked out when they pick the bins up... There's always been space so I never needed to!

Wayfarersonbaby Tue 20-Dec-16 23:28:02

I don't tip bin men or the postmen (there are lots of different ones here depending on the rota) but I do give an extra Christmas tip to my hairdresser, wine and chocolates to my cleaner, and the same to the lovely lady who cleans our office. Never know what to do about monetary tipping/"Christmas boxes" kind of thing, my cleaner would probably prefer money I suspect but I can't really afford to give much extra cash!

kitnkaboodle Tue 20-Dec-16 23:28:48

Hmm - yes, not sure if I'd know how much money to actually tip someone (I never know what to give a taxi driver on the rare occasions I'm in a taxi ...) so will stick to bottles/chocolates. It gives me a nice feeling to give them, as they maybe don't expect anything these days, whereas in my mum's day it was the norm, I think

ChoccyJules Tue 20-Dec-16 23:31:12

Am not really sure how to tip the bin men without them missing it and chucking it into the lorry! Also if it's cash, how much? Plus it's pot luck who grabs the bin that day - I've considered cans of beer in the past so they can share it out but never been sure what to do.
We also seem to have a variety of posties so couldn't say which one would get it (though I guess that doesn't matter).
What I would like to know, is how much do people tip?

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Tue 20-Dec-16 23:34:20

I tip the postie, window cleaner (if they are here in the last couple of weeks before Christmas), vegbox delivery person.

I used to tip the binmen but this year they seem to have implemented a rule that if you leave your bin so a fraction of it is on your drive rather than the pavement they ignore it and I suspect this isn't council policy.

kua Tue 20-Dec-16 23:34:42

No milk man here and a different post person on a daily basis, same with the Tesco delivery guy. I used to tip my newspaper delivery teenager but I get them online now so...

milkshakeandmonstermunch Tue 20-Dec-16 23:35:14

I don't tip any of them, no. Postie changes all the time and no idea who empties the bins. Tesco delivery person changes each week. I don't tip my window cleaner. I don't really tip people in general thought. I bought gifts for the staff at DD's nursery and DH's secretary, that's it.

Pollyxcx Tue 20-Dec-16 23:36:18

I don't tip my binmen. They are bloody useless. If a bag has been even slightly ripped open by wildlife they don't take it

SuffolkBumkin Tue 20-Dec-16 23:38:50

I do, they always give me a shock face.
I work in a care and families bring in boxes of chocolates and biscuits. It means the world to me when they do, and I like to spread the love.

Seren85 Tue 20-Dec-16 23:45:43

I don't. Never see the bin collectors as the bins have to be left at the end of the road. No window cleaner or milkman. Rarely get post at a time that I see our local postie. If I saw them regularly I would because it is something I grew up seeing my parents do it. I do tip the bar staff in our local and the staff in the local takeaway, which possibly says more about where I spend my time than anything else!

Sixweekstowait Tue 20-Dec-16 23:57:21

No regular postman but have regular bin men and they are absolutely lovely - couldn't be more helpful. There are three of them and I make sure I'm at home the last collection before Christmas - I put 3 x£10 in a Christmas card and give it into the one who's driving.

Sixweekstowait Tue 20-Dec-16 23:58:00

And I tip the paper boy

LRDtheFeministDragon Wed 21-Dec-16 00:07:09

confused IME it is a very recent thing. And no, I don't.

BackforGood Wed 21-Dec-16 00:09:13

No.
Nor do I think it's a generational thing - I'm not exactly young, and my parents never used to tip all the people you suggest either.

Out of interest, do you tip the cashier in the supermarket? The school crossing warden? The receptionist at the dentist? The cleaner in the pub ? The shop worker when you are buying your Christmas presents? The bus driver ? The car park attendant ? The chap from the council that grits the roads? Or is there some reason why you would tip some workers (and not even low paid ones), and not others?

LineyReborn Wed 21-Dec-16 00:09:39

Yes I give the binmen £5 each. Team of three. They are really helpful.

Footinmouthasusual Wed 21-Dec-16 00:11:18

No they don't fucking tip me so why the fuck should I tip them?

My dad is 80 and he wouldn't give you jack shit. grin

Footinmouthasusual Wed 21-Dec-16 00:12:00

And do people still even have a milkman?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now