Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask what Christmas dinner you are doing

(22 Posts)
4men1lady Tue 20-Dec-16 16:07:22

I'm normally a lurker but in a little bit of quandary about my options for a buffet style Christmas dinner. I say Christmas dinner..there's actually nothing traditional about it.

I've decided to do a buffet this year and was going through the menu with dh and he's made me doubt myself.

I am doing slow cooked honey and garlic chicken thighs
BBQ pulled pork with tiger bread
Savoury rice
Hassle back potatoes
Salad
Kebab skewers
Prawns in sauce with little gem lettuce to scoop and eat
Garlic mushrooms
Pigs in blankets
Dips and breadsticks

Kids will probably eat most of that but also will put on party food for them, mini pizzas etc.

This is for 6 adults (2 of which will of had Xmas dinner earlier on) and 6 kids (4 of which will of had Xmas dinner).

Is this just stupid..not enough or just fine!? Everyone who is coming knows it isn't traditional and is fine with that but dh has just made me doubt my choices.

I'll be doing a couple of different pudding options, normally sticky toffee pudding and a cold dessert..then later on a cheese board with chutney etc!

Please help with you honest opinions, haven't done the food shop yet so do have time to change.

4men1lady Tue 20-Dec-16 16:17:10

I know it's a boring one but would appreciate honest replies smile

StillStayingClassySanDiego Tue 20-Dec-16 16:19:19

It sounds wonderful, what's your dh doubting?

TheWitTank Tue 20-Dec-16 16:19:35

Sounds fab! What is your DH issue with it?

dementedpixie Tue 20-Dec-16 16:20:32

That sounds yummy tbh. I'm jealous now

wobblywonderwoman Tue 20-Dec-16 16:20:55

I think that us absolutely lovely. If people were expecting traditional dinner I would say no but to be honest, people would prefer that tasty food. Could you have crackers and party hats and all of that to keep it festive ?

Crunchymum Tue 20-Dec-16 16:26:58

I am a puritan about my Christmas dinner but I'd certainly be happy with your offering!!!

In fact if this year my hosts offered what you are offering I'd make sure I go round very hungry grin

cometprancerdancer Tue 20-Dec-16 16:31:48

Sounds lovely. Each to their own with Christmas dinners. Whatever you enjoy

PoppyFleur Tue 20-Dec-16 16:43:35

Sounds delicious and plentiful! I am a cheese & chutney fan so a few nibbles before diving into the cheese board sounds like heaven.

WorraLiberty Tue 20-Dec-16 16:47:15

I'm confused.

Do you want to know what Christmas dinners we are doing, or whether your buffet looks ok?

I think your buffet looks fine. We're having a similar one on Christmas Eve.

For Christmas dinner DH will be cooking a turkey crown, honey roast ham, sausagemeat stuffing, roast potatoes, yorkshire pudding, pigs in blankets and veg.

limitedperiodonly Tue 20-Dec-16 17:00:11

I'd eat all that. What are hassle back potatoes? I'm sure I'd eat them, just want to know. What's his problem with it?

Our dinner isn't very traditional. Foie gras with brioche to start, roast pork belly with roast potatoes, peas and carrots and clove and cinnamon flavoured apple sauce, my husband's homemade tarte Tatin with Golden Delicious apples, lots of butter, cinnamon and ready made puff pastry and cream. Cheese and nuts.

I'll do lots of extra veg and potatoes and add some cooked greens and boiled potatoes so we can have a huge bubble and squeak the next day with sausages and maybe a fried egg.

limitedperiodonly Tue 20-Dec-16 17:04:41

I've googled now. I do that with potatoes and sometimes poke in some cheese and bacon. It's lovely

4men1lady Tue 20-Dec-16 17:48:43

Sorry was knee deep in feeding time at the zoo..

Thanks for your reassuring replies smile

Dh just says it's messy food and be awkward for people to eat. Didn't seem that bowled over by it but I'll stick with it I think. Cheers mumsnet 👍🏻

zukiecat Tue 20-Dec-16 18:39:29

Sorry but the only things I could eat on your menu are the salad and the little sausages (No bacon)

But that's just me, and if your guests will enjoy it, then why not

1horatio Tue 20-Dec-16 19:17:31

Sounds delicious. We'll probably get this... (I won't cook anything. But we'll bring a huuuuge fruit basket on day one and a loooot of alcohol for day 3)

We will most likely get:

24th ;) celebration with my mother's extended family
-Drinks, something to eat standing up (probably bacon wrapped dates, something with puff pastry olives etc...)
-fish or bird (goose?)
-pasta
-pudding

In general a lot of wine. Fruit basket during present time.

25th:
Breakfast at my mother's house, Small breakfast. Coffee,fruit, some baked goods

Christmas Day 'lunch'
Antipasti
Baked pasta
Meat
Salad
Pudding
Coffee!

26. My father's family
Mulled wine almonds and raisins and spice biscuits
buffet with different breads, butter, reindeer jerky, meat balls, prawns, apple sauce, cranberry sauce, elk sausage, other sausage, soup, bread for in the soup, pickles, salmon, Christmas 'juice'
Cake, whipped cream and Coffee

So... after that feast in we're about 5 kg heavier 😂😂
And that's why our vegan New Year's Eve party back in the UK is imo very understandable ;)
But seriously, you are the cook. And your meal sounds delicious!!

bananafish81 Wed 21-Dec-16 22:38:44

In answer to your thread title asking what others are doing for Xmas dinner: DH and I have decided we aren't doing Xmas at all this year. Can't face trying to pretend to be jolly after a shit year and now dealing with a cancer scare

We're doing some bangers and mash and greens. And have a crumble to stick in the oven afterwards. No point making a big meal neither of us wants to eat.

In answer to whether your dinner is fine - sounds great!

Princesspinkgirl Wed 21-Dec-16 22:44:37

I will only be doing snack foods simply because I'm due Christmas day I have been invited out for a meal but I doubt I'll feel up to it

nokidshere Thu 22-Dec-16 00:33:45

We don't really do one. We get up and have a late breakfast then just fill the fridge with lovelyvthings and snack/buffet all afternoon 😄

oldlaundbooth Thu 22-Dec-16 00:40:58

Sounds bloody lovely.

We're having a buffet type meal and crisps are one of the choices.... confusedgrin

Alabastard Thu 22-Dec-16 00:49:28

I'm going to order pizza on Christmas Eve and reheat it for my Christmas Dinner.

cakefate Thu 22-Dec-16 00:50:12

Sounds lovely, I would put a coleslaw with that pulled pork and maybe some corn on the cob.

UmmAandY Thu 22-Dec-16 06:25:27

Roasted duck stuffed with the duck liver (and extra chicken liver), apples and prunes. Sauce, potatoes, Waldorf salad and a red cabbage salad. For dessert risalamande with cherry sauce

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now