Talk

Advanced search

To want to return the vouchers?

(37 Posts)
Jennywallpaper Tue 20-Dec-16 15:31:02

DH has family that have recently moved abroad, we would normally visit them before Christmas and we would exchange gifts. But this year as they aren't in the same country we were just going to send a card to the adults and a card and voucher for each of the DC.
Our postman has just been and has delivered a card from this family to ours. Just one card for our whole family, so wibu to return the vouchers and just send the cards?

(I know I likely ambu but I just feel a little disappointed especially as this is our DD first Christmas)

xStefx Tue 20-Dec-16 15:34:32

Yep, just the card. Set the standard for the next few years then :-)

Newtssuitcase Tue 20-Dec-16 15:35:22

Card only

Wolfiefan Tue 20-Dec-16 15:36:46

Maybe a parcel is in the post?
Maybe they are busy if they have only recently moved?
Maybe they thought as you weren't visiting you wouldn't be doing gifts?
I would send vouchers.

Jennywallpaper Tue 20-Dec-16 15:53:56

Wolfie they moved in the summer, if they have sent a parcel would it not have arrived along with the card?

This gift giving business is complicated stuff! confused

Knitella Tue 20-Dec-16 15:58:52

They could have sent a family card from where they live and sent a gift card separately - e.g. purchased online from a company in U.K. That's why I do for my Australian friend. I buy the kids gifts from an Australian website for lower cost quicker post.

I bet they have a parcel in the post.

TheSnowFairy Tue 20-Dec-16 16:05:20

YABU. You don't give to receive - send the vouchers.

ijustwannadance Tue 20-Dec-16 16:16:15

How much is the family voucher for though? Sending a few cards abroad to the same address seems petty pointless and expensive to me. Just one to the whole family is fine.
I didn't think you could get refunds for vouchers anyway.

NerrSnerr Tue 20-Dec-16 16:25:58

Take the vouchers back if you give to receive. If not then just send as you would usually. There could be a parcel on its way too.

Jennywallpaper Tue 20-Dec-16 16:27:02

Knitella you might be on to something, that sounds like something they would do that I'd never even think of tbh.

Ijustwanna its individual gift cards for each DC, no gift for the adults this year. That's why I bought gift cards so I could just pop them in with the family card and save on postage

SausageSoda Tue 20-Dec-16 16:29:06

I'm not sure if gift cards/vouchers are refundable anyway. I'd just send them unless you were able to use them yourself.

Newtssuitcase Tue 20-Dec-16 16:30:01

Can they even use the vouchers abroad?

Jennywallpaper Tue 20-Dec-16 16:33:21

NerrSnerr I don't give to receive at all, and it wouldn't be me receiving it would be my DC. I would have been spending more than them anyway as I have less DC than they have.

gamerchick Tue 20-Dec-16 16:36:01

But you are. You want to deprive their kids a gift because yours didn't get one.

Just send the vouchers and take it from there.

Bumbumtaloo Tue 20-Dec-16 16:38:11

My dad lives in Canada and I have often received cards separately from the parcel - god only knows why he doesn't send the cards in the parcel. I have also received parcels from Amazon etc that he has ordered directly to me.

Just an aside where are you sending the cards and/or vouchers to a lot of last guaranteed postal dates has passed.

GetTheeBehindMeSanta Tue 20-Dec-16 16:42:48

Send the vouchers. Would you really care if you didn't get anything in return? confused

I hate all the tit-for-tat nonsense at Christmas. Never do something you didn't think was the right thing to do just because somebody else wasn't on your wavelength, whether they went over or under your expectations.

Lifebeginsatforty Tue 20-Dec-16 16:44:17

In some countries you aren't allowed to put letters in parcels. You have to post them separately.

user1480946351 Tue 20-Dec-16 16:46:02

If they are abroad haven't you missed the last posting dates by miles anyway?

Bumbumtaloo Tue 20-Dec-16 16:46:37

Lifebeginsatforty I wasn't aware of that but from/to Canada it's not an issue - he has previously sent it all as one and I send his cards in his parcel it's just been last couple of years he hasn't.

Jennywallpaper Tue 20-Dec-16 16:49:03

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I'm just going to send it all and if something arrives for my DC that's great and if not sure if doesn't really matter. It's all about who we are with that really matters anyway! That's for giving me some perspective!!

catkind Tue 20-Dec-16 16:56:22

Well done OP!
Overseas relatives often send us presents directly from amazon UK. I also send off a bulk mailing of cards early, then presents separately later, so even if I'm posting card could easily beat the present to it. All sorts of possibilities.
If it is a mismatch, better to be the one giving and not getting than vice versa I reckon. Then you can do the little present dance I get into with distant cousins where only one of us sends a present one year, the next year only the other one does.

CatsAndCocktails Tue 20-Dec-16 16:57:01

I agree with user, whatever you send it isn't going to get there in time anyway now.

Jennywallpaper Tue 20-Dec-16 17:01:50

Thanks catkind!

The post should only take a couple of days to arrive with them. I'll get it posted tomorrow and hopefully they will have it on time!

DixieWishbone Tue 20-Dec-16 17:03:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Tue 20-Dec-16 17:06:30

The post should only take a couple of days to arrive with them. I'll get it posted tomorrow and hopefully they will have it on time!

Wouldn't be so sure. Last recommended first class post day for this country is tomorrow so abroad would have been days ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now