Talk

Advanced search

To make a formal complaint against supervisor

(17 Posts)
clementineorange Tue 20-Dec-16 12:42:04

I'm going to try very hard not to drip feed. Have NC.

I work for a private company in North America working with individuals with SEN. I have many years of experience in the field. I recently (in the last 9-12 months) started with this company. I have the same credentials as one of the directors (there are 3 directors). Since day 1 she has done things such as:

-Tell the other directors I was asking for other colleagues to do my work (I wasn't, one offered to help as I had just started and I accepted her offer to help)

-Give me very short deadlines for very long tasks (e.g. Longest was 24 hours for a task that takes at least 2 days, shortest being 1 hour for a task that takes at least 3 hours to complete).

-Removing my credentials from certain work I produced (not all)

-Asked me to "beg her" to check work I had done in the timeframe I needed it.

Recently, I have been working on a case with an individual with severe needs who was being mistreated in the hospital. I spent many hours advocating for this individual, speaking to his mother, doctors, other staff, managers, etc. I am currently on holiday so handed the case over to the director as she is the only other qualified person to take it while I am gone.

She has sent a message to everyone in the company, I am copying it so as not to paraphrase:

Hey V,
I just wanted to take a minute to send a Sunshine Note with regards to D's case. Thank you for all your behind the scenes work coordinating things. You and T are the only two staff who have been "in play" this whole 50+ days of D's hospitalization. Thank you for representing Us at hospital meetings and for supporting the staff on his team through challenging circumstances. It can be very stressful for staff to work with a client that is super aggressive and unpredictable, so thanks for holding the helm steady. Thanks also for being there for D's family, his mom in particular. She has had times where she's felt very helpless through this situation and having an ear to listen to her has been important to her. Thanks for holding everyone together!
L

AIBU to now make a formal complaint about her behaviour towards me?

VeryBitchyRestingFace Tue 20-Dec-16 12:45:55

What's the issue? Is it that she aportioned praise to two of you? confused

And what's a "sunshine note"?

me thick

xStefx Tue 20-Dec-16 12:48:39

Why don't instead of making a complaint, having HR note down incidents to log incase you wish to make a complaint further on. Then maybe you can start afresh with this person for the "new year", and possibly talk to her regarding some of the unprofessional things she has done if her behaviour continues.

Waffles80 Tue 20-Dec-16 12:51:35

What's your issue with the note?

clementineorange Tue 20-Dec-16 12:51:44

The praise does not mention me. I am not one of the "two".

Scooby20 Tue 20-Dec-16 12:51:59

Are you neither person mentioned in the email?

Scooby20 Tue 20-Dec-16 12:52:25

Cross post. Does she know that you were the main person working on it?

clementineorange Tue 20-Dec-16 12:56:15

Yes. I was also the person to give her full updates, link her to the communication diary we had online, and call her the day I left after there was (another) crisis. She knows full well.

Devilishpyjamas Tue 20-Dec-16 12:58:37

Well as the parent of a young person who shows distesssed behaviours I'd be putting in my own complaint against the phrasing 'super aggressive' (that's super bloody unprofessional & shows bugger all understanding of behaviours when people have LD's - not suitable to be sent to a whole company).

I would note it all down and raise it when you have enough evidence.

BolivarAtasco Tue 20-Dec-16 12:58:43

'Sunshine note'

She is BU for using that phrase.

<misses point>

Devilishpyjamas Tue 20-Dec-16 12:59:16

Yes WTF is a sunshine note?

VeryBitchyRestingFace Tue 20-Dec-16 13:07:54

She's going to say she was misinformed as to who was involved with what. That wouldn't be completely beyond the bounds of possibility in an organisation with 50 + staff.

Presumably V and T will put her straight?

clementineorange Tue 20-Dec-16 13:14:04

Very no, because everything is documented (by me mostly, V as well). Don't get me wrong T and V did play crucial roles. But it's blatant I've singly been left out.

Clearoutre Tue 20-Dec-16 16:31:06

I'd take the approach that you care neither for her praise nor blame. That passive aggressive 'sunshine note' seems particularly cruel if it's meant give credit where due.

You mentioned other directors - can you focus on fostering a relationship with one of them in the NY? Perhaps a 30-minute, mentor-style chat/catch up every other week or say you're interested in learning more/helping on X that they work on and try shift away/dilute work with your current director.

liviadrusilla Tue 20-Dec-16 16:46:08

I would challenge her behaviour - it's very undermining.

TheSnowFairy Tue 20-Dec-16 17:49:17

But isn't she saying thanks to V because they 'and T are the only two staff who have been "in play" this whole 50+ days of D's hospitalization.'?

If you want to take it further, I would raise the fact with your line manager that you were disappointed not to be mentioned.

clementineorange Tue 20-Dec-16 19:47:44

I feel like this combined with all other events (summarized in OP) are the nail in the coffin as I refuse to deal with bullying in the workplace. At the same time, I don't want to further destroy our working relationship. She is the only "mentor" the company has. The other two directors are not credentialed to be involved on a clinical level, although I have been building my relationship with them since I started in the Spring.

To those saying not to write a complaint (which would entail all incidents, not just this one), why wouldn't you? How far would things have to go?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now