Talk

Advanced search

To be as irritated when my online shop is early as when it is late

(17 Posts)
ridingsixwhitehorses Tue 20-Dec-16 11:50:20

I mean first world problems etc etc but it's never conveniently early, always when I am out or in shower etc. And though they happily wait I then feel bad.

Sparlklesilverglitter Tue 20-Dec-16 11:53:56

The thing with delivery is they never know exactly how the traffic will be, one time the roads are empty another there may be stupid queues everywhere or an accident
They also don't know how long each customer will take to open the door/sign for package/take package

This time of year I'd rather it turned up early than late or not at all. I never make them wait because they are early

ridingsixwhitehorses Tue 20-Dec-16 19:37:58

I only made them wait because I was out

MrGrumpy01 Tue 20-Dec-16 19:45:10

The day you need them early they come a minute before the end of the slot.

They did once ring me on my mobile to see if I would take the shop really early, to which I told them that we were 45mins away on the main dual carriageway. They waited at the top of the road and followed us down. That was a little too early.

1horatio Tue 20-Dec-16 19:52:43

No need to feel bad if they're early.

Some waiting is part of their job, I suspect.

harderandharder2breathe Tue 20-Dec-16 19:55:36

If they're early, they usually call or text to check it's ok, or might swing by on the off chance and sit and wait. Don't work yourself up about it.

Sweetpotatoaddict Tue 20-Dec-16 20:03:06

I completely agree, I schedule my shop for a one hour slot that fits in with my day, eg getting a chance to clear up before they arrive etc.
The only day I got ratty with the they arrived one hour and 2 minutes early. I said to the delivery man, gosh you're early, and he replied we're now allowed to be a couple of minutes early. I suggested an hour was not a couple of minutes, he headed back to the van to check the schedule and returned sheepishly to say he had got the slot wrong. When unpacking the shopping he did allude that my delivery was the last of the day hmm chancing it I reckon.

abbsisspartacus Tue 20-Dec-16 20:17:29

i got a call once i dont suppose you're in im delivering to your neighbour? mine was the last slot because it was the cheapest i got bumped to a premium because my neighbor's order from the same people!

im not too fussed about early delivery saves me waiting

TooMuchChocOrange Tue 20-Dec-16 20:31:06

Yanbu.

A few years ago I had a Sainburys deliver driver get very angry and shouty with me in my hallway for not answering the door to him earlier, when he tried to deliver my shopping 45 minutes early.

I was actually unable to answer the door to him at the time - I had been lying topless in bed feeding my 5 month old to sleep before my shopping delivery was due and I had had a minor heart surgery a few days before, so I couldn't get up quickly / lift baby quickly into her cot etc. When the driver came back at the correct time he was furious with me.

Sainsburys sent me some vouchers after I complained on their facebook but I never got to use them - I was afraid to order my shopping again in case I got the same driver! Interestingly, it turns out that they don't even CRB check their delivery guys.

On the plus side though, the incident left me in no doubt that the surgery had cured my WPW. Previously any sort of confrontation like that would have sent me into palpitations for hours. That day I was as cool as a cucumber!

Name changed for this as post contains a lot of identifying info.

Dizzybug52 Tue 20-Dec-16 20:39:10

I've had tesco arrive about 10 mins early before, i took the shopping in but they said I couldn't actually sign for it til allocated time or they'd get in trouble.

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Tue 20-Dec-16 22:09:19

Sainsburys driver swore at me when he came an hour and a half early and I was just leaving the house on the school run. He parked on the pavement with the engine running and then swore at me again when I came back and let him in.

I shop with Tescos now.

SprogletsMum Tue 20-Dec-16 22:13:27

It used to really annoy me if my delivery was early. I used to book the 9-10pm slot.
Then I could make sure dd had her 8.30 feed and I was back downstairs waiting for it. Her next feed was usually around 11 so it being late was OK but early meant I had to juggle shopping and a screaming baby.
Can't afford online delivery anymore so I have to drag all 3 dc around aldi with me which is way worse.

onemouseplace Tue 20-Dec-16 22:13:58

I hate it when they come early - I book my slot between 1 and 2 and make sure I have had my lunch, cup of tea, put child down for nap BEFORE they arrive so I can put the shopping away.

If they come early it's as inconvenient as coming late to my mind - cuppa goes cold, I'm in the middle of changing a nappy, cooking lunch etc

brokenbone Tue 20-Dec-16 22:40:59

I'm usually still at work when they text or phone to see if they can deliver early. The whole reason you book a time slot is because it's a convenient time to have the shopping delivered. I finish work at 3pm so usually book the 4-5pm slot to give me time to get home, get changed, have a sit down before the shopping comes. The last 5 weeks I've had texts asking if they can deliver as early as 1pm and when I've replied saying I'm at work til 3pm I've then got home to find them sitting outside my house waiting for me so I rush in, trip over starved angry cat whilst rushing to bring shopping in.

Itsjustaphase2016 Tue 20-Dec-16 22:42:10

So horrid when they're early...and you answer the door half dressed/in a towel/clutching screaming baby who you are trying to get to sleep and they greet you all happy and pleased with themselves that they are early. Aaaaaaaaaaahhhh it's my worst thing

TheSnowFairy Tue 20-Dec-16 23:00:28

Love it when they're early - I always go for the cheapest slot so around 9pm. Would much prefer 8 or 9 instead of nearer 10!

haveacupoftea Tue 20-Dec-16 23:05:26

I like it when they come earlier. I dont think they could care less about the house being tidy for them if theyre getting home an hour early.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now