Talk

Advanced search

to keep extra item delivered from shop in error?

(134 Posts)
CookingCabbage Tue 20-Dec-16 09:39:10

OK - This is actually my fault, not the shop's error. I will explain:

Ordered three identical multi-aperture photo frames from a well-known department store. Will be given as Xmas presents to relatives. Went to the store to 'click and collect'. When I got home and opened the plastic wrapping there were only two identical boxes in there.

Felt really annoyed that one is missing. Opened one up and put photos in - took ages to resize the pics and fit them but looked ace.

Went back to the store and explained they had only given me two frames. Was quite panicky as only 1 week until Xmas and needed that exact frame as photos printed in sizes to fit it. Also, it's an inconvenient journey to get to the store (live out in sticks). Store Manager gave me 15% off for inconvenience.

Went and collected third frame next day. Got home and unwrapped the remaining two boxes, and........there was TWO in the second box. So now I have FOUR frames.

It may sound silly that I did not open the second box originally, but the boxes were both the same size (quite narrow) and the frame in the first box was wrapped in bubble wrap - whilst the frames on the second were squeezed in, with no protective wrapping at all.

Do I own up and take the fourth frame back, or keep it for myself? I know everyone is going to say take it back probably, but please try to imagine what you would do.

Katedotness1963 Tue 20-Dec-16 09:40:27

I would return it.

Mouthfulofquiz Tue 20-Dec-16 09:41:29

I wouldn't!

Allthewaves Tue 20-Dec-16 09:42:19

I'd take it back.

Allthewaves Tue 20-Dec-16 09:42:58

Or ring the store and offer to pay for it if you dont want to drive back

PenguinsandPebbles Tue 20-Dec-16 09:43:12

I would keep it.

This will cause lots of grasping of pearls but I would keep it, and I think in reality a lot of others would too

YelloDraw Tue 20-Dec-16 09:43:25

I would take it back but I wouldn't rush and make a special trip

DeadMorose Tue 20-Dec-16 09:45:06

I would keep it.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Tue 20-Dec-16 09:45:53

i wouldn't worry....

I'd be a bit vexed at myself for flogging over to the store and making extra journeys when all there was to do was open all the parcels, but meh

and i'd thank my lucky stars i did not take the box with the two in as evidence of their shortcomings and make an arse of myself as the two were revealed. grin

Applesauce29 Tue 20-Dec-16 09:47:29

If it's under £30 it'll prob cost the retailer to deal with the return and repackaging (partly why online shopping costs have gone up in past five years), and it's their error so I wouldn't bother.

periwinklepickspoppies Tue 20-Dec-16 09:47:56

I would phone the store and explain. We had this with Amazon recently, they delivered and item costing about €50 that we hadn't ordered. They were adamant that we had or that it was a gift from somebody (it wasn't) and said it was ours to keep.

SecretPeanut Tue 20-Dec-16 09:48:14

Wait for them to contact you and when they don't, keep it. Merry Christmas from the dept store fsmile

SpookyPotato Tue 20-Dec-16 09:49:07

I'd keep it after all that faff!

Applesauce29 Tue 20-Dec-16 09:51:06

Oh, just re read your initial post. Not their error. But still massive faff to return...

Diamondjoan Tue 20-Dec-16 09:55:31

If it's inconvenient for you to get to the store I would ring them and offer them the opportunity to send a driver or courier to collect it.

Rosa Tue 20-Dec-16 09:55:47

I would email them but say if they want it back they can a) pay the postage and packing or b) send a courier to get it .

mrsm43s Tue 20-Dec-16 09:56:47

Honestly, knowing me, I'd probably put it to one side, intending to take it back. And then at some point a few months in the future, I'd rediscover it and feel mighty guilty that I hadn't returned it, but equally feel it was too late by then, and end up keeping it, or donating it to charity.

You really should return it, but I can't really get on my moral high horse about this one.

blitheringbuzzards1234 Tue 20-Dec-16 10:13:40

It could be too much faffing about to get them to take it back - what with the 'computer saying no' etc. It's dishonest but would they actually know that you've kept an extra item? If it's on your conscience then take it back when it's convenient.
Ages ago my sister ordered a white mantelpiece from the gas board - but they delivered a brown one. BIL rang to point this out and the right colour was delivered BUT they wouldn't take back the wrong one. You know where this is going, right? Loads of phone calls later the gas board still wouldn't take the wrong one back. It lingered in the garage for years until BIL eventually broke it up and took it down the tip. Shame really, as the one thing that would complete my new sitting room would be a mantelpiece.

ElodieS Tue 20-Dec-16 10:14:46

Drop them a line and explain, see what they say - chances are they'll just say to keep it, but if not they'll probably send you an SAE to post it back to them. These things happen, don't worry about it.

CookingCabbage Tue 20-Dec-16 10:15:19

I think I may sit on it for a while and when I am travelling in that direction again, make the decision. The frames are £28 each (were in the sale - orginally £35). We don't have a lot of spare cash (not a good reason to keep it I know), but we had no plans to have any of photos framed for ourselves, and this would enable us to have some :-)

Fee a bit bad about it though. I may change my mind.
Was expecting someone to say something like: It's people like you who put the value of goods up for everyone else.....etc!
It was a genuine mistake though. Feel a bit embarrassed about my stupidity.

Charlottelouisa Tue 20-Dec-16 10:21:06

Oh just keep it. This big stores are insured for this type of thing

Baylisiana Tue 20-Dec-16 10:22:48

It was their mistake to only send two, they then made another mistake in trying to rectify the first. You shouldn't be expected to spend time and money sorting it out by going back to the store. The cost to them to return probably means they would tell you to keep it anyway if you contact them. I would put it aside for now and decide after Christmas if you can be bothered to do anything with it.

JennyOnAPlate Tue 20-Dec-16 10:24:18

I expect I would intend to take it back next time I was passing the shop, and would then forget.

In theory you should take it back, yes.

Baylisiana Tue 20-Dec-16 10:24:31

Oh, ok, not their mistake then, that will teach me to skim read.

sizeofalentil Tue 20-Dec-16 10:27:08

Keep it! It's too much faff to take it back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now