Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sick note for work

(7 Posts)
JungleInTheRumble Tue 20-Dec-16 06:55:17

This is just a rant really.

The place where I live (not the UK) requires a sick note for even one day of sick leave. How unreasonable is that?? The worst thing is that drs will only give one days sick leave at a time (presumably because they make £10 from you each time they write a note so it's in their interests to get you coming in more than once).

So I've been ill with a fever, cold, cough, bad stomach...literally the full works on and off for the past ten days. I've taken one day off already and went back to the drs yesterday and he made me feel so awful about wanting another sick note and was so dismissive of my illness that today I struggled in to work. It was not a good idea so I left early and now I'm at home feeling awful and absolutely dreading tomorrow. I'm pretty sure there's no way I'll feel up to going in but I also don't think I can face going back to the drs. So I'll probably end up having to take unpaid leave for this afternoon and tomorrow because I don't have a note.

I think it's totally unreasonable for a company to require a sick note for a couple of days off. All it results in is employees who should just be resting in bed dragging themselves in and making everyone else sick.

(I know I just need to put on my big girl panties and not care how dismissive the Dr is as long as he gives me the note but I feel so run down right now that it's hard to do).

MsJamieFraser Tue 20-Dec-16 06:58:12

Can you not change doctors? I don't think it's unreasonable if that's what is expected of the country you live in.

TheProblemOfSusan Tue 20-Dec-16 06:59:43

That's pretty ridiculous. You poor thing, what a waste of time for everyone.

And what would happen if something awful (touch wood) had happened to you and you were in hospital for days?

JungleInTheRumble Tue 20-Dec-16 07:10:42

Ok let me rephrase "I think it's totally unreasonable for a company it to be the norm to require a sick note for a couple of days off". I literally can't see who benefits from it (apart from the drs - and they don't seem to like it if the attitude of mine is anything to go by).

I guess I could change Drs. I'd need to get a taxi there and back though.

The policy is different if you're actually in hospital I think. Touch wood that hasn't happened yet.

PinkSwimGoggles Tue 20-Dec-16 07:12:56

other countries, other rules.
your gp is unreasonable to give very short notes though. is that standard or just a shit dr?

Weatherforecaster Tue 20-Dec-16 07:14:44

It's rediculous and does not benefit the doctors either. I can't get an appointment at my docs for 3 weeks. Imagine if more employers added their staff sickness into that mix.

Gwenhwyfar Tue 20-Dec-16 07:32:22

"It's rediculous and does not benefit the doctors either."

Of course it does. Doctors get paid by appointment in OP's country, so many of them would be happy to do it. Also, in OP's country I'm sure you don't have to wait 3 weeks for an appointment.

OP needs to post on an expats/immigrant forum where she lives. There's no point applying British NHS logic to another country.

Also, consider this: OP has to pay to see the doctor, but it's easy for her to get access to a doctor and she doesn't (normally) have to feel guilty for seeing one of think that she shouldn't 'bother' the doctor like people do here. The NHS is great, but it's also very good to live in a country where you have easy access to doctors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now