Talk

Advanced search

To feel that the news is too one sided?

(26 Posts)
user1471516536 Mon 19-Dec-16 23:08:48

This week there has been a man who threatened many Muslim people and said that he was out to "kill Muslims", deliberately targeted women in headscarves and eventually stabbed a man in forest hill. Then tonight three people were killed in an attack on a Swiss mosque. I think it's strange that I saw neither of these mentioned on the TV news, nor prominently featured on the BBC website. These are not the only similar events that have been very underreported this year

I absolutely understand that the attacks in Berlin tonight we're of a much larger scale and deserved more coverage. Of course the majority of the news tonight was rightly on this sad and shocking event.
However, I feel that by underreporting attacks on Muslims, the news, particularly the BBC, is encouraging a view that these attacks are due to a clash between religious and cultutral values, when really it is a clash between hateful people and everyone else. Most Muslims, Christians, athirsts etc are just people who are being hurt by the acts of a few sick, damaged people who have let hate consume them.

Leanback Mon 19-Dec-16 23:11:38

Water is wet

ExitPursuedBySantaSpartacus Mon 19-Dec-16 23:12:14

Then write to the BBC.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Mon 19-Dec-16 23:13:09

A valid observation about news reporting.

FranticalFidget Mon 19-Dec-16 23:13:43

The paranoid side of me says that those in power benefit greatly from pitting different 'sides' against each other.

Deflects a lot of blame.

That may be the paranoia speaking though!

EngTech Mon 19-Dec-16 23:14:39

Good news stories don't grab headlines or sell papers

SpeakNoWords Mon 19-Dec-16 23:15:58

Look for news from a wider variety of news sources, complain to the BBC about their coverage.

GiddyOnZackHunt Mon 19-Dec-16 23:22:09

Has the charter been renewed yet?
Although the BBC seem to be dumbing down to populist nonsense.

sirfredfredgeorge Mon 19-Dec-16 23:23:07

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38363602
3 people were not killed in an attack on a mosquie, 3 people were injured in an attack near and it was on the front page of the bbc website, but as a pretty minor news item even that is surprising. People are shot but not killed all the time.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-38290932
The forest hill one got lots of coverage last week, but as a case of an isolated person with many personal issues, it is again not really big news, hopefully he's being prevented from doing anything similar, and getting the help he obviously needs.

So basically I think your equating of two relatively minor incidents when compared to multiple deaths, that were in any case covered, is pretty unreasonable.

News media is biased, everyone is, unconcious bias is difficult to beat, but the BBC probably does a better job than most on trying to beat it.

Lorelei76 Mon 19-Dec-16 23:26:21

I haven't watched bbc news for years, they miss out a lot of important stuff.

I prefer news online. Their website is def better than their programme.

JungleWait Mon 19-Dec-16 23:28:28

YADNBU. It's extremely sad that the media is doing this, and neither it is fair. It's unethical.

CockacidalManiac Mon 19-Dec-16 23:30:07

Unfortunately tv news often follow a tabloid agenda, there's no real desire to analyse.

MrsDustyBusty Mon 19-Dec-16 23:30:25

Well it's similar to strikes, isn't it? They mention there's a strike on, that it's inconvenient to the public, interview some people on the street who voice no support and carefully leave out any history or context for the strike, leaving the viewer with the impression that it's simply a load of selfish gits gratuitously making life difficult.

Stoviesplease Mon 19-Dec-16 23:35:05

It isn't clear who injured the three people in Zurich. There are tensions between Muslim groups in the area so perhaps they are waiting for clarification.
Tbh with the death toll set to rise in Berlin and the ambassador assassination in Turkey I think you are a little unreasonable today. But I understand if it feels unfair and I agree it's all awful.

GiddyOnZackHunt Mon 19-Dec-16 23:58:58

The BBC1 news is the guilty party. Don't start me on the utter twaddle that's News 24 (or whatever it's called now). R4 and the website are better.

Middleoftheroad Tue 20-Dec-16 00:17:42

It's frustrating that they decide what we should read and how it should be interpreted. Also, what we should be 'protected' from to avoid a mass outcry.

The DM is laughable, but they had the balls to report the attacks on women in Germany when other outlets played it down. On one hand that's censorship, to not report this story to adults, on the other, extreme DM side a sensationalist and bigotted report.

Agree that you should pool from various sources. That the media should not decide what we are privy to read.

But it has always been the case. I don't know a neutral news source. Journalists and media have political persuasions and this reflects in the copy. I'm sure Guardian fans will beg to differ...but I find it as biased as the DM and like neither publication. The BBC is just insipid!

Stoviesplease Tue 20-Dec-16 00:20:33

Insipid, Yes. it has got to the point I often can't understand the BBC version of a story.

Sybys Tue 20-Dec-16 00:25:17

EngTech - are you trying to say that attacks on Muslims are good news, or did you just not read the OP?

ginghambox Tue 20-Dec-16 00:32:48

Considering most hate attacks are carried out by muslims. And the BBC is pro muslim . Stop watching the BBC.

CockacidalManiac Tue 20-Dec-16 00:37:47

Considering most hate attacks are carried out by muslims. And the BBC is pro muslim . Stop watching the BBC.

Tinfoil hat time

MrsA2015 Tue 20-Dec-16 00:44:41

Of course it's all one sided.

You won't hear about the buses of civilians that were "allowed" to leave Aleppo on Saturday that got blown to pieces as soon as they left the compound. Nor will you see the videos of families begging eachother to shoot themselves before they get captured by assad or Russian forces

DoJo Tue 20-Dec-16 01:32:21

I think why tech was talking about 'good news' as in quality reporting rather than content that would be considered 'good news'. At least that's how I read that comment...

DoJo Tue 20-Dec-16 01:33:50

engtech

Tomorrowillbeachicken Tue 20-Dec-16 01:37:00

I think anyone who thinks that BBC is balanced and unbiased is sadly mistaken.

Stoviesplease Tue 20-Dec-16 09:34:40

BBC like other western media CA t get anywhere near Aleppo so Tbh have no chance of reporting anything factual which ever side you may be on MrsA. Their correspondents I have seen were in Beirut and Istanbul!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now